Blink HQ Line of Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

ECOtality announces the Blink HQ residential product line today...Starting at $599 and including $100 of charging credit that you can use on the Blink network...

30 amps
18 foot cord
Delay timer on front panel
208-240v input
Connects to Blink network
Shipping in summer 2013
Taking Reservations now
Still will make the legacy model Blink EVSE

Information:
http://www.blinknetwork.com/chargers-residential.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Press Release:
http://www.ecotality.com/ecotality-unveils-the-blink-hq-family-of-home-ev-chargers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"How can you get a charge from your home EVSE when you’re not even there?"

I'm really interested in hearing what they have in mind for the 2nd version of the HQ with remote access.

Also note in the fine print that the $100 needs to be used within 6m of purchase. Great perk though.

I just assumed without knowing the details that you can kick off a charge remotely on the Blink (and perhaps bypass the delay timer) if your car is at home and plugged in...It could be something different...

Randy said:
I just assumed without knowing the details that you can kick off a charge remotely on the Blink (and perhaps bypass the delay timer) if your car is at home and plugged in...It could be something different...
Oh...duh. I think you're probably right.

I originally interpreted it as there would be some advantage to having a Blink charger at home when you were away from home & also using Blink chargers (besides the $100 in credits).

In that case...meh.

Anything that applies DOWNWARD price pressure to EVSE's is OK by me...unless that "starting at" thing means $599 isn't really $599 :?

Well...Well....Well....

It's private label world, isn't it? :)

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 189
I expect some initial offering model will sell for $599. It may be a model with a longer cord (up to the 25' NEC limit) will be available at a higher price. It is not clear that they will have any timer programming like the original Blink, but I expect (hope?) some offerings will before long. At least it will have charging delay (2, 4, 6, 8 hours) like a number of other vendors EVSEs have. BTW the pictures shown seem to be direct wired, so unknown as to whether movable cord-and-plug models will be available initially.

As has been pointed out by others, for residences with multiple EVs, there needs to be an absolutely reliable programmable communication/coordination functionality between EVSEs to limit the maximum total current draw of multiple EVSEs at any one time, so that people don't have to have their service extended unnecessarily (like 200a to 300a or higher) and so the residence's main breaker doesn't risk being tripped. I expect EVSE vendors including Ecotality will eventually address that need -- the question is when. The NEC needs to be involved, and the next edition (2014) will be published in August, but advance info that I've seen mentioned no such new EVSE standards. If so, that suggests the likelihood of no such products for another 3 years when the 2017 edition comes out, although interim standards are possible -- like that which allowed movable cord-and-plug-connected level 2 EVSEs.

davewill said:
Randy said:
Well...Well....Well....

It's private label world, isn't it? :)
Well, considering Blink's track record with quality, that's all for the better don't you think?

I don't know that the Delta / Bosch unit has stellar performance. I'm confident that the Blink sticker didn't improve the unit in any way.

They gotta get some positive usage history with different EVs to out "Clipper Creek" the Clipper Creek line of EVSEs...

After the nuclear holocaust, it'll be roaches and Clipper Creek hardware left standing :) Maybe no juice to charge with, but those CC boxes will be sitting there ready to go...

Wow. This one is even shittier than the v1. I didn't think that was possible. At least with the v1 we have functional charging timers.

I called today to inquire when they'd be releasing the new HQ and was told that there was a model coming out at the end of July (~$650) and one in October. The one in July is hard wired. The one in October (~$800) will have a plug option and connect to internet via wi-fi. Sorry I don't have the exact numbers, I forgot to write them down.

Thanks for this info. I don't have a charger at home yet and I heard of some coming wi-fi models and this one interested me but I wasn't sure how much it would cost.

happyZEVer said:
I called today to inquire when they'd be releasing the new HQ and was told that there was a model coming out at the end of July (~$650) and one in October. The one in July is hard wired. The one in October (~$800) will have a plug option and connect to internet via wi-fi. Sorry I don't have the exact numbers, I forgot to write them down.

Back