Those Blink SD card failures

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbarry42

During some unrelated web surfing, I happened across the Wikipedia article for SD cards. There's a reference there to some "questionable" cards, and leading thence to the go-to guy for all your electronics industry eyebrow raising, Andrew "Bunnie" Huang. This is fairly technical, but anyone who knows "bunnie's blog" knows they're in for a treat. Basically, there is a lot of counterfeit, bad, and just plain shady hardware out there, and the name-brand companies can't easily protect you from it.

It hadn't occurred to me that errors on a flash system didn't just return an read/write error. They can corrupt the file system as well. We can't know for sure what the problem with the Blink SD cards was, but it's sure consistent with the "replace with another of apparently the same type" kind of thing that went on. And we see that Blink wasn't the only company affected.

^^^
Yep. I read about http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=918" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; long ago. It affected Chumby. Was interesting...

Also on this note, many will probably find
the_problem_with_wikipedia.png
amusing.

I have two Blinks, both had the "SD card failure" within one month of each other after about 6 months of service. They were sequential serial numbers so surely used the same batch of SD cards.

Back