Blink Software Updated to 2.1.20130801 on Aug. 8

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leucadialeaf

I just noticed that my Blink system software was updated to version 2.1.20130801 on the morning of Aug. 8. The previous version was 2.1.20120402.
No obvious changes, and as usual no info from Ecotality.

Given the recent news, I hope it doesn't contain a self-destruct sequence!

Please check the device info screen and see if they downgraded the capability of the unit from 30 amps to 16 amps to prevent overheating...

Is there a way to force new software - I'd not connected for long (Wi-Fi issues), decided to hardwire last night. But it didn't download anything.

Speaking of software - our unit has been crashing (red screen with screeching sound effect) on plug-in about every other time for...about 2-3 months I reckon. Prior to that it was solid. "touch screen to clear fault" does not work - it cycles and crashes again. Unplugging (the blink itself from the wall power - we have a plug in version, so I just yank it rather than flip the breaker) to trigger a rebooot "always" works, which is to say it comes back to life and can either be plugged in to the car with normal results, or can remain plugged in during the reboot and then sets itself up to charge, and we get a charge the next morning. Then the next evening, about half the time we plug it in, it thunks on and off normally and is ready to go, and the other half of the time it croaks as above.

I obviously need to call them, and given all the recent news I ought to do that sooner rather than later, and surely well before our 12/13/13 end of program date, but finding time to wedge in an appointment is a pain. I'm just wondering if there's any chance it's software related and might resolve. Anybody else ever have intermittent (yet consistent) red screen disease that went away without a tech cracking the unit open and wiggling or swapping things?

wsbca said:
Speaking of software - our unit has been crashing (red screen with screeching sound effect) on plug-in about every other time for...about 2-3 months I reckon. Prior to that it was solid. ...
It's a well known fault that they know how to fix. Unfortunately, it's a hardware fix and they have to come out to do it. Good news is that it took they guy who came out to my place about 15 minutes.

It involves replacing some dubious crimp connections. They did mine (though I was having no problems) when they replaced my J1772 connector.

davewill said:
It's a well known fault that they know how to fix. Unfortunately, it's a hardware fix and they have to come out to do it. Good news is that it took they guy who came out to my place about 15 minutes.

leucadialeaf said:
I just noticed that my Blink system software was updated to version 2.1.20130801 on the morning of Aug. 8. The previous version was 2.1.20120402.
Same here, mine updated on the evening of the 8th from/to the same version. Max current is also still reported as 30A.

evnow said:
Is there a way to force new software - I'd not connected for long (Wi-Fi issues), decided to hardwire last night. But it didn't download anything.
Mine seems to check for new software every 4 hours or so, so you should get it before long.

Interesting - my Blink is still reporting
Update check complete, software is up-to-date.
As of this evening (Aug. 15th), even though my firmware is still at 2.1.20120404B. I'll have to try giving them a call, as my unit has done the "red screen/screech of death" a few times in the past couple of months as well.

Sigh.

my blink has been rock solid until this new version - i came back from a 5 day vacation to find it hung, apparently trying to update. then it hanged one more time after that. hopefully they don't leave us with a turd when blink finally shuffles off this mortal coil.

If it does, we can always pull the connectors and make it in to a dumb EVSE... For the record, I've had no issues before, during or after the latest software update.

astrorob said:
my blink has been rock solid until this new version - i came back from a 5 day vacation to find it hung, apparently trying to update. then it hanged one more time after that. hopefully they don't leave us with a turd when blink finally shuffles off this mortal coil.

looks like it might come to that - as i posted in another thread blink took my service request for the "orange screen" problem but told me no one is going to come out, at least for the time being. ugh.

TomT said:
If it does, we can always pull the connectors and make it in to a dumb EVSE... For the record, I've had no issues before, during or after the latest software update.

astrorob said:

On the eve of CarCharging taking over the Blink Network (and possibly making a mess of things), I wanted to post some information here that could help others with their Blink units.

On this software revision (residential models), you can get into the Maintenance Settings with the following method:

On the Blink, click on Settings, then Device Info. Press on the 30A (or whatever it is) under Maximum Current and hold your finger there for at least 10 seconds. This will take you to a screen asking for the Maintenance Code, for this firmware it is 906598.
From here you can force a software update or change the maximum current along with a few other things. I'm not sure how to get into the maintenance settings on the commercial units, but I can't imagine it would be very different.

My understanding is that there isn't any specific unit information on the SD card (that's apparently stored on-chip), so I'll be working to make a duplicate of my SD card and testing it on another unit. That way if things go sideways we can hopefully support each other and maybe even make some improvements in the process. ;)

I've backed up my SD card that the Blink was reporting as 2.1.20130801. Unfortunately, I can only open the boot partition in Mac OS X so I'm not even really sure what it contains. Hopefully this can help others with development.

To extract onto an SD card, you should be able to use the "dd" command as long as your SD card is at least 2 GB.

https://mega.nz/#F!rAVE0YhR!KjzwSi86OTNgSXErAi0Gbg

Edit: I updated the URL on 04/22/2016 to reflect my repository on the Blink WE-30CIRE, including service manual, installation manual, owner's manual, residential firmware, and maintenance pin.

My Blink had stopped working about 2 weeks ago. It wouldn't charge and the screen was blank and unresponsive. I first pulled the multi-blue wire connector and got the Blink to work as a dumb EVSE.

Just today, I installed the new micro SD card I programmed with the image file that Darkstar provided. The display now works again so I replugged the multi-blue wire connector and now have a fully functional Blink again.

DarkStar said:
I've backed up my SD card that the Blink was reporting as 2.1.20130801. Unfortunately, I can only open the boot partition in Mac OS X so I'm not even really sure what it contains. Hopefully this can help others with development.

To extract onto an SD card, you should be able to use the "dd" command as long as your SD card is at least 2 GB.

https://mega.co.nz/#!Kd12WSKY!M8rB7RJRglS7rH3Ig-pQmSvMVE4zwl3I13C49aHIvkU

Darkstar thank you so much for posting this file. I couldn't get it to fit on a 2GB SD card for some reason, so I ended up just putting it on a 4GB card. My Blink charger fired right up with the new card. I really appreciate your help.

This thread is awesome. Since carcharging group have not contacted me about a maintenance plan as they promised, looks like its DIY from here on in.

Back