Blink/Ecotality/SDG&E Smart EV Charging Demonstration

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveEV

Anyone else get this?

Basically on SDG&E Reduce Your Use days (a voluntary energy use reduction program where you are incentivized to use less energy than normal), SDG&E/Blink/Ecotality will automatically disable your EVSE during the Reduce Your Use event. You can of course override this if desired.

Seems useful for those hot summer afternoons, though in practice with most people already charging off-peak I wonder how much effect it will have? I would think that charging TOU rates for public charging would be more effective, since public charging is typically done during the day while charging at home is typically done at night.

I signed up anyway.

Thank you for participating in The EV Project and sharing your charger data with your utility. Your participation means that we all learn how to best serve the EV community. To further our understanding, Blink is implementing a Smart EV Charging Demonstration and we would like you to participate!

Joining the Demonstration may make it possible to be rewarded with utility bill credits during San Diego Gas & Electric’s (SDG&E) Reduce Your UseSM days. You may be eligible to earn Reduce Your Use rewards1 when you save electricity between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. on a Reduce Your Use day. For example, if you normally fully charge a Nissan LEAF between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. and defer that charging during a Reduce Your Use day, you could receive a bill credit reward of up to $14 for that day.

Jim66 said:
Yes, I got it also. But it is useless, since I never charge in that time frame.
Actually it means you really SHOULD sign up since you won't mind if they shut off your Blink under those circumstances. You'll earn the credits for something you're already doing.

davewill said:
Jim66 said:
Yes, I got it also. But it is useless, since I never charge in that time frame.
Actually it means you really SHOULD sign up since you won't mind if they shut off your Blink under those circumstances. You'll earn the credits for something you're already doing.
Actually, it doesn't matter much - you only earn money if you reduce your power draw from the previous day. At the very least one could unplug/disconnect their Blink during that time and kill the 10W vampire draw. ;) Not sure if it'd save enough to get you any extra money!

I got my first "Reduce Your Use Event" notification today. It's for tomorrow between 11am-1pm. Anyone else?

There should be 12 users that received this message. As the message said, this is for testing purposes and no actual credits will be accrued...

Randy said:
There should be 12 users that received this message. As the message said, this is for testing purposes and no actual credits will be accrued...
There was no indication that this was a test.

The email I received yesterday:

xjwz.png

And interestingly I got another this morning saying the event has been changed, but it appears the same to me:

uyek.png

Back