New Blink Email Blast: Your CDMA Modem - Action Required

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkStar

Just received the following email blast from Blink. Don't know many that ever had their CDMA modems enabled though...

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=27cf015daa8ea4ba2f6debcf7&id=5b02789c73" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As you may recall, in order to meet the reporting requirements of the EV Project, Blink installed and has maintained the CDMA modem for your residential EV charger. However, now that the residential portion of the EV Project has concluded, please be advised that the CDMA modem will be disabled as of February 28, 2014. However, you will still be able to charge your EV with the modem disabled.

In order to continue utilizing the network functionality of your residential charging station going forward, you will need to provide your own Ethernet or Wi-Fi Internet connection for the charger. Step-by-step instructions for connecting your station to the Internet can be found on pages 10 - 16 of your owner's manual. If you do not have a copy of the manual, please contact our Customer Support Center at (888) 998-Blink (2546) or support@blinknetwork and a copy can be provided to you.

Should you require a wireless router, we recommend the Cisco-Valet Plus M20 Wireless Router, which can be purchased our Blink HQ website.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate the Customer Support Center (888) 998-Blink (2546).

We thank you for your cooperation and look forward to continuing our partnership!

DarkStar said:
Just received the following email blast from Blink. Don't know many that ever had their CDMA modems enabled though...
I enabled mine by configuring the unit to use hardwired Ethernet cable but without plugging in an Ethernet cable, and it "failed over" to CDMA. Previously it had failed to charge my car with alarming frequency when it locked up in its Wifi network. On the cell network those problems disappeared.

Blink sent (after CarCharging took over) an electrician to re-crimp the unit's internal connections to fix an intermittent ground fault issue I reported prior to bankruptcy. I think he also disabled the cell modem, as the networking hasn't worked since. I kind of liked getting the Blink notifications of charging as a backup to the somewhat unreliable Carwings. But since the main use of those notifications was to know when the unit ground faulted, I guess I can live without them. :) If I needed it I'd buy a wifi adapter to work around Blink's faulty wifi design, but I don't find access to the unit's charging statistics or schedule to be of much value.

I've been using WiFi on my Blink since day one and have yet to have a communications failure... But my house IS blanketed by a very strong signal... I suspect remoting the WiFi antenna in the Blink would help many of those who have had issues...

Back