camasleaf
Posts: 595
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:20 am
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2011
Location: Camas, WA

Re: Blink J1772 Cable Repair

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:30 pm

If anyone has a connector that melted the pins, but still has the outer case intact, then I would like to buy it. I have the old Blink connector that I cracked the case and broke the locking pin and I would like to fix it. I do not need the cable or pins. Thank you.
2011 SLe 06/17/11 Over 71000 miles, GID 213 49.88 AHr; 76%SOH; 16.5kWh
2015 SV 09/02/14, Over 15000 miles, GID 287; 61.12AHr; 98%SOH; 22.2kWh
5.7kW DC System:

Mrelectric
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:10 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Oct 2014

Re: Blink J1772 Cable Repair

Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:11 am

In order to prevent a new crimpted connection from rotting you could apply die electric grease to the wire crimp union. This would fill the gap between wire and pin and keep air and moisture away.
Soldering seems like a perfect solution to a bad crimp. I don't imagine the wire flexing directly behind the pin inside the plastic housing.

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:14 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357
Location: Anaheim

Re: Blink J1772 Cable Repair

Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:28 am

camasleaf wrote:If anyone has a connector that melted the pins, but still has the outer case intact, then I would like to buy it. I have the old Blink connector that I cracked the case and broke the locking pin and I would like to fix it. I do not need the cable or pins. Thank you.


Worst case there is a guy on Ebay selling the cables for a fixed price plus make offer. Until the Yazaki cables became available I was buying them for a $100 offer. The five I have purchased soldered up fine. One of them was the basis for the photos in the first post.

Also Quick Charge Power sells the Dostar J1772 connector for under $100. I would guess that lacking the proper crimp tool you would have to solder the pins.
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:14 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357
Location: Anaheim

Re: Blink J1772 Cable Repair

Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:05 am

GlennD wrote:
camasleaf wrote:If anyone has a connector that melted the pins, but still has the outer case intact, then I would like to buy it. I have the old Blink connector that I cracked the case and broke the locking pin and I would like to fix it. I do not need the cable or pins. Thank you.


Worst case there is a guy on Ebay selling the cables for a fixed price plus make offer. Until the Yazaki cables became available I was buying them for a $100 offer. The five I have purchased soldered up fine. One of them was the basis for the photos in the first post.

Also Quick Charge Power sells the Dostar J1772 connector for under $100. I would guess that lacking the proper crimp tool you would have to solder the pins.


My mistake. I was confused about the Quick Charge price. The J1772 handle is $119.
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist

camasleaf
Posts: 595
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:20 am
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2011
Location: Camas, WA

Re: Blink J1772 Cable Repair

Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:21 am

GlennD wrote:
GlennD wrote:
camasleaf wrote:If anyone has a connector that melted the pins, but still has the outer case intact, then I would like to buy it. I have the old Blink connector that I cracked the case and broke the locking pin and I would like to fix it. I do not need the cable or pins. Thank you.


Worst case there is a guy on Ebay selling the cables for a fixed price plus make offer. Until the Yazaki cables became available I was buying them for a $100 offer. The five I have purchased soldered up fine. One of them was the basis for the photos in the first post.

Also Quick Charge Power sells the Dostar J1772 connector for under $100. I would guess that lacking the proper crimp tool you would have to solder the pins.


My mistake. I was confused about the Quick Charge price. The J1772 handle is $119.


I just need the case as I cracked it. I have the cable and the pins are crimped already to the cable. I bought a new Leviton cable and connector and fixed the EVSE in the garage, I also have the EVSE upgrade. Now I am just thinking of making a portable 30A EVSE and if I can get the Blink connector outer shell for cheap, then I do not need to buy a new cable.
2011 SLe 06/17/11 Over 71000 miles, GID 213 49.88 AHr; 76%SOH; 16.5kWh
2015 SV 09/02/14, Over 15000 miles, GID 287; 61.12AHr; 98%SOH; 22.2kWh
5.7kW DC System:

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:14 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357
Location: Anaheim

Re: Blink J1772 Cable Repair

Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:20 pm

You should be able to find someone with a meltdown. The contact insert is completely separate from the outer shell. You might pm Tony Williams and and what happened to his. I think he was the first one to publicly document the problem. He showed photos of his damaged RAV4 EV and Blink cable.
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 9913
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: Blink J1772 Cable Repair

Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:24 pm

GlennD wrote:You should be able to find someone with a meltdown. The contact insert is completely separate from the outer shell. You might pm Tony Williams and and what happened to his. I think he was the first one to publicly document the problem. He showed photos of his damaged RAV4 EV and Blink cable.


Link to Rav4 EV forum about melted Blink / Rema equipment


Link to LEAF forum about melted Blink / Rema equipment


Sept 3, 2013 - UPDATE: Rema charging handle strikes again and melts the pins on a Nissan LEAF


Link to Schneider EVSE melting and difficult to remove




Image



Image

Valdemar
Posts: 2334
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Blink J1772 Cable Repair

Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:20 pm

Any recommendation for the flux/solder in this application? Will a 25W soldering iron suffice or should get I get something more substantial?

A proper solution will be put in place (a new cable or EVSE) when my next EV will be pulling more than 16A, for now just want a temporary fix as the plastic becomes borderline acceptable to the touch with summer temps in my garage even when charging at 3.3kW.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB)
60.5AHr, SOH 94%, 105k miles
9kW Solar

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10490
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: Foothills of Granada Hills, CA
Contact: Website

Re: Blink J1772 Cable Repair

Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:43 am

No one is ever always right, and there are often valid differences of opinion... In this case, I also believe that, done properly, soldering fine.

TimLee wrote:You disagree with Ingineer :shock: :? :shock: :?
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2017 Volt Premier. Model 3 reserved.

TimLee
Posts: 2810
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:40 am
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: Blink J1772 Cable Repair

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:46 am

TomT wrote:No one is ever always right, and there are often valid differences of opinion... In this case, I also believe that, done properly, soldering fine.

TimLee wrote:You disagree with Ingineer :shock: :? :shock: :?

Properly soldered is clearly better than poorly crimped :D

I don't have the expertise and haven't done sufficient research to fully know the acceptability of soldered.
Just thought it was best to point out some differences of opinion do exist.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

Return to “Blink”