Carcharging/Blink Reduces resedential EVSE's to 24Amp.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPWhite

Got the following notice from CarCharging/Blink today. Not sure why we'd have to wait for 'replacement parts' they are readily available online/Amazon etc.

JP:

As you may know, in October of 2013, CarCharging acquired the Blink Network and the Blink EV charging stations. While the warranty for the Blink residential Level 2 charging station (Blink L2AC) previously deployed by ECOtality at your residence is no longer active, safety is of the utmost concern to CarCharging. It has come to our attention that there may be safety concerns with some of the cords included on Blink residential Level 2 EV charging stations.

This concern is related to high temperatures, which can potentially cause overheating. While this may not be a current issue with your charger, as a precaution, CarCharging has elected to reduce the amperage of your specific charging station to 24 Amps at this time. In all cases where Blink L2 chargers have been rated to 24 Amps, there have been no reported high-temperature or safety issues. This reduction has been completed remotely and does not require any action by you.

Please note that most older model EVs whose onboard chargers draw power at lower rates, such as pre-2013 Nissan LEAFs and the Chevy Volt, should not experience a change in charging times due to the reduction in amperage. EVs with higher capacity onboard chargers should still be able to fully charge during a typical overnight charging session.

While we anticipate that this reduction in amperage is only temporary until replacement parts are available for purchase, we invite you to upgrade to our newly designed residential charging station, the Blink HQ (http://www.BlinkHQ.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). With the purchase of the Blink HQ and upon the successful return of your existing Level 2 charger (shipping box and label provided), you will be eligible to receive a $100 rebate for the return of your Blink L2AC, as well as a $100 credit for the Blink Network, which includes use on any of our public Blink charging stations.

If you have any questions or would like more information on upgrading and/or start the upgrade process to the Blink HQ, please contact Blink Customer Support at (888) 998-2546 or [email protected]

Sincerely,

Got a 2011 LEAF so no big deal for me. Even for 2013+ LEAF's it is a small reduction n charge level.

I have a Leviton cord installed. How can I opt out of this? I am wondering if they changed the password to the setting menu?

Turnover said:
I don't think you need to opt our unless your Leaf has been altered to suck up more than 3.3 kW/hour ...

I plan to get a Leaf with 6.6kW charger in october when my 2012 lease expires.

pchilds said:
If your Blink is not connected to the internet, they can't change the settings.

I left it connected, I will disconnect it when I get home. Can they still use the cell phone system?

camasleaf said:
I left it connected, I will disconnect it when I get home. Can they still use the cell phone system?
I believe only a few of the early home stations had a cellular modem installed, so you don't have to worry about that. If a tech ever serviced your station, they likely would have removed it.

Looking at my Blink config / setup, mine still appears to be set to 30A.

Interesting log messages from recent history (most recent at top, trimmed down):

Aug 8: J1772 Duty Cycle currently set to 30 amps
Aug 8: Received request to reboot immediately.
Aug 8: Successfully updated config SITESPECIFIC.
Aug 8: Successfully completed downloading all requested configs.
Aug 8: Successfully wrote config file SITESPECIFIC.

I also note that my Blink used to be running a special SDGE firmware version for some utility testing, but now it's just reporting version 2.1.20130801 E1.10. I don't recall what the special SDGE firmware version was...

I have noticed that even at 16A the plug/port feels slightly warm after an hour of charging on my LEAF - but I've charged a Model S at 30A over night a couple times without any issue or warming above what I felt on the LEAF.

I have the same thing to report. Still on the 2013 08 01 firmware, and still set to 30 amps. The log says there's no CDMA modem, and also that there's no firmware update to apply.

I could believe that the output current change could be done without changing the firmware (assuming anyone's left at the company that remembers how). Changing the password might take a firmware change (no way to be sure). I'm not inclined to take it off the network. Maybe if I changed the setting myself they would pass over as not needing it (worth a shot).

Just checked and mine is still set to 30 amps. I verified the CDMA modem is still in there, but since Blink cancelled the service the log shows there is no modem.

If you want to manually change your current, here are the instructions:

On the Blink, click on Settings, then Device Info. Press on the 30A under Maximum Current and hold your finger there for at least 10 seconds. This will take you to a screen asking for the code, the current code is 906598. Then you'll be in Maintenance Mode and be able to change the Maximum Current.

Thanks. I didn't even have to search for the howto. I changed it to 16 A, so if they meddle with it they will be on record as having raised the current limit :)

There are other items on that menu. Are any of them interesting? They all looked like things I can do normally.

What does the CDMA modem look like? Mine's a replacement box so maybe it was deleted.

And lastly, how do I get into maintenance mode from my couch (the web interface) ? :D

So, my charge current limit was raised today...to 24A ( :D -->see previous message). Good news is that the firmware didn't change, and neither did the ability to change the current again in the future :geek:

BTW, when they change it, it goes into the log.

gbarry42 said:
So, my charge current limit was raised today...to 24A ( :D -->see previous message). Good news is that the firmware didn't change, and neither did the ability to change the current again in the future :geek:

BTW, when they change it, it goes into the log.

Well spotted batman!! Mine has changed now as well.
Good to know that we can override by going into maintenance mode. Some of us may choose to buy a new cable through eBay or Amazon rather than Carcharging.

My guess is that they push it out to all of them and don't query the unit to see if it actually needs it first...

I took mine off network about a month ago as it has a replacement cord and I didn't want it downgraded. And I saw no upside to continuing to let them have access since I have no use for their data and no longer get anything in return...

gbarry42 said:
I'm not inclined to take it off the network. Maybe if I changed the setting myself they would pass over as not needing it (worth a shot).

I got the email this morning, but mine has not yet been changed from 30. I had already gotten a replacement cord from Ecotality last year for this problem. I called them. They told me the problem is with the cable, not just the plug. They are going to send me some paperwork in the mail to get approval to change it back to 30! If they actually remotely change it to 24A. Thanks for the post on how to do it myself. I'm leaving mine online because I like to see the start/stop updates via email.

that note also talked about replacing the original unit with an upgrade.
did anyone consider that useful to do?

(mine was reset to 24A).
I like being able to manipulate the box from my computer, otherwise I would disconnect it. i think it is a good thing to share the data for the EV movement.

thankyouOB said:
(mine was reset to 24A).
I like being able to manipulate the box from my computer, otherwise I would disconnect it. i think it is a good thing to share the data for the EV movement.

Same here. I leave it connected for the web interface and being able to keep up with my monthly electricity usage by the LEAF.

Other units don't have the web access to access a meter like the Blink. For all their faults, they have premium features.

DarkStar said:
Just checked and mine is still set to 30 amps. I verified the CDMA modem is still in there, but since Blink cancelled the service the log shows there is no modem.

If you want to manually change your current, here are the instructions:

On the Blink, click on Settings, then Device Info. Press on the 30A under Maximum Current and hold your finger there for at least 10 seconds. This will take you to a screen asking for the code, the current code is 906598. Then you'll be in Maintenance Mode and be able to change the Maximum Current.

i tried that last graf, and nothing happened when i held my finger on 24A.

Back