astrorob
Delivery Date: 06 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3307

my blink evse... stopped working (?)

Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:32 am

over the last couple of days my EV project Blink EVSE seems to not be able to tell that it's plugged into the leaf. the leaf beeps when i plug it in, but then i don't hear the "thunks" and nothing happens. the Blink display says "please plug in your vehicle".

i am assuming some feedback signal is not making it's way back to the blink...

anyone else have this happen, and will making my blink "dumb" resolve this issue?

the car charges OK from my toyota PIP 120V EVSE, so i think the car itself is OK. i don't have another L2 EVSE to test with.

rob

Delivery Date: 06 May 2011

Re: my blink evse... stopped working (?)

Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:57 am

The diode in the onboard charger may have failed. Most EVSEs do the diode check, some don't. The original AV units didn't.

If so, either the charger needs to be replaced or a diode inserted into the pilot line.

astrorob wrote:over the last couple of days my EV project Blink EVSE seems to not be able to tell that it's plugged into the leaf. the leaf beeps when i plug it in, but then i don't hear the "thunks" and nothing happens. the Blink display says "please plug in your vehicle".

i am assuming some feedback signal is not making it's way back to the blink...

anyone else have this happen, and will making my blink "dumb" resolve this issue?

the car charges OK from my toyota PIP 120V EVSE, so i think the car itself is OK. i don't have another L2 EVSE to test with.

rob
1st Capacity Bar loss 30k mi 16.25mo 2nd- 49k mi 25.5mo 51.5Ah
3rd- 73k mi 36.5mo 46.9Ah 71% SOH 50.9Hx 4th- 86.5k mi 43mo 42.61Ah 64% SOH 43.79Hx
5th- 101k mi 50.5mo 38.38Ah 58% SOH 37.02Hx Replaced Battery 9/28/15 104.2k mi 36.13Ah

astrorob

Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:36 am

oh boy - that's bad. is there any DTC that indicates this is happening?

the Blink will not charge my PIP either, so that seems to me to indicate that the problem is with the blink itself. does the nissan EVSE do the diode check? if so and it charges the leaf i think the car must be OK.

is there any involvement with the latch switch on the handle? i notice that my PIP stops charging when i depress the latch switch on the blink handle, but the leaf does not. maybe that switch has failed?

are there any schematics for the blink around? in theory i could at least do continuity tests if i knew where on the EVSE side each pin on the handle maps to.

thanks,

rob

Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:50 am

Probably the Blink if it won't charge the PIP. Have you checked the Jplug? There is an O ring that can get out of position, blocking complete insertion. Dirt on the pins?

Pin diagrams are on line.

The Leaf does stop charging when the latch is depressed. There is no external indication though.

This thread is comprehensive for the diode failure- viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10773&hilit=Charging+problem+Diode+failure

astrorob wrote:oh boy - that's bad. is there any DTC that indicates this is happening?

the Blink will not charge my PIP either, so that seems to me to indicate that the problem is with the blink itself. does the nissan EVSE do the diode check? if so and it charges the leaf i think the car must be OK.

is there any involvement with the latch switch on the handle? i notice that my PIP stops charging when i depress the latch switch on the blink handle, but the leaf does not. maybe that switch has failed?

are there any schematics for the blink around? in theory i could at least do continuity tests if i knew where on the EVSE side each pin on the handle maps to.

thanks,

rob
Last edited by 91040 on Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st Capacity Bar loss 30k mi 16.25mo 2nd- 49k mi 25.5mo 51.5Ah
3rd- 73k mi 36.5mo 46.9Ah 71% SOH 50.9Hx 4th- 86.5k mi 43mo 42.61Ah 64% SOH 43.79Hx
5th- 101k mi 50.5mo 38.38Ah 58% SOH 37.02Hx Replaced Battery 9/28/15 104.2k mi 36.13Ah

davewill

Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:43 pm

It's not the diode. In the case of a bad diode, you get an error on the Blink. I had this exact symptom. The pilot wire in the cable was broken in my case. I could gently flex the cable (near the handle in my case) and charging would start and stop. It's the thinnest wire in the cable and therefore the most fragile. If you have an oscilloscope, you can check for the signal in the handle. I ended up replacing the cable and handle. I think it was caused by using the Blink reel with the slot to hold the handle. Now I just lay it gently over the top.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

gbarry42

Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:06 pm

91040, your link to the thread was incomplete.

Supplementing what 91040 said, pressing the button when plugged into the leaf causes the charge current to drop to zero, but doesn't cause any disconnects (thunking sounds).
And there goes the first capacity bar! At 24,000 mi on 9/9/2013.
Second bar at 30,500 mi on 2/7/2015.

astrorob

Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:46 pm

gbarry42 wrote:91040, your link to the thread was incomplete.

Supplementing what 91040 said, pressing the button when plugged into the leaf causes the charge current to drop to zero, but doesn't cause any disconnects (thunking sounds).

interesting, ok, i associated the thunk with the end of current flow but of course i've never measured the current...

davewill wrote:<span>It's not the diode. In the case of a bad diode, you get an error on the Blink. I had this exact symptom. The pilot wire in the cable was broken in my case. I could gently flex the cable (near the handle in my case) and charging would start and stop. It's the thinnest wire in the cable and therefore the most fragile. If you have an oscilloscope, you can check for the signal in the handle. I ended up replacing the cable and handle. I think it was caused by using the <a href="http://www.myelectriccarforums.com/electric-vehicle-charger/" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">Blink <span class="tip">Compare EVSE equipment</span></a>reel with the slot to hold the handle. Now I just lay it gently over the top.</span>

i suppose this is what's going on since the day before it completely failed, i managed to get the leaf to charge by laying the cable up over the charge port door.

any chance of repairing the broken pilot signal wire, or is it all buried in insulation?

is there anything special about the EVSE side of the charging cable, or will any cable sourced from ebay work? i have yet to take my blink apart so i have no idea if there are just a bunch of lugs in there or if the cable terminates in a special connector...

thanks,

rob

fooljoe
Delivery Date: 10 Jun 2011

Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:33 am

Before buying a new cable from ebay I'd at least take a shot at contacting whatever remains of Blink customer service. Since it's very likely their device that failed maybe they'll provide a new cable. I expect it's out of warranty, but the first round of blink cables were known to be defective, so perhaps there's some additional flexibility there (wasn't there a recall?)

If you do end up buying a new cable, just make sure that it's rated for at least 30 amps, and be sure to get enough length for your needs. I suppose you could in theory repair it, if you could find where exactly the problem is, but you'd probably end up with a dangerous hacked-together cord. If I really wanted to try to fix it I don't think I'd cut into the cord - maybe I'd just get a long piece of wire and connect it to the pilot terminal in the EVSE (instead of the cord's pilot wire) and somehow connect it to the pilot pin in the handle. That would at least serve as a way of isolating the problem. It could just be that the pilot wire connection is loose either in the EVSE box or in the handle, or even a dirty pin - if one of those then it's a much easier fix.
RavCharge.com | 2012 Rav4-EV | 2011 Leaf SL w/QC batt replaced 11/20/15 | Clipper Creek CS-60 | EVSEupgraded 2013 Leaf EVSE | 3.84kw PV

davewill

Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:00 pm

You can forget Blink doing any work on these. They terminated all the warranties long ago. The only thing they will do is give you $100 off their newer unit (or at least they were).

The cable and handle Blink used on these old units is so marginal that I simply considered the failure an opportunity to fix it properly. I also figured that if the Blink ever finally actually died, I'd reuse the replacement cable (and maybe most of the guts of the Blink) to make it an OpenEVSE. As it turns out I didn't try to remove the cable from inside the unit. I instead cut off the handle and the last several inches, and spliced it to the new cable inside a junction box I mounted on the wall closer to where the port on my new EV was. Since the old cable isn't being moved around every day, I don't worry about it happening again.

If you search on here you'll find pictures of the inside. It does have termination block with screw connections for terminating the wires, but they are also marginal. Lots of people found theirs looking burnt. Mine looked OK (no signs of heat) so I didn't worry about leaving it alone, but if I were wiring the new cable inside the Blink, I'd try to replace the termination block with a better solution.

Theoretically, if you can localize the break, you might be able to cut it before there and put on a new handle, but it requires a specialized crimping tool to do it properly. Plus you'd still have the same fragile cable attached.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

Valdemar
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011

Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:30 pm

Looks like the 240V wires are landing directly onto the contactor. Not clear if there are lugs with screws on the contactor or the slip-on connectors are crimped onto the wires (black/brown, probably screws if that is their reflection showing). I think the problematic terminal block you're referring to is the one connected to the wires feeding the EVSE (white plastic block with 6 screws on the left), shouldn't be a big deal to change it for something more robust I would think. A cord replacement on mine has been long on my todo list, one of these days...

'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB)
59.7AHr, SOH 93%, 118k miles
9kW Solar

Return to “Blink”