Blink evse dead? EV Project screen comes on, then nothing.....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxp

Hi,
I have the first gen "EV Project" Blink EVSE ( circa 2011).
When I reboot the evse, the EV Project screen comes on momentarily, and then when it goes away, I hear a "click" sound from inside the unit and then ... nothing. The screen has a backlit, but there is nothing else.

What shall I do? What is wrong with it?

I am fine with opening the unit and wiggling or replacing modules from inside the unit, but I hoping someone else experienced this issue and may shed some light...

Thank you...

There are a couple of threads about problems with the Blink EVSE. Use search to find them.

Even if the "higher" level functions fail, it can be used as a dumb unit.

Thanks for your reply. I did search but didn't find anything useful.

I did find the Blink thread which you can disconnect the computer board and make it a dumb evse. This would be my last resort.

If you have a link handy, specific to the "blank" screen after the EV Project Logo, could you pass it along?

At the moment, I am only guessing the computer failed to boot, and that click sound might be a hardware issue. Caps going bad or some relay malfunctioning.....

BTW, my Blink evse has worked perfectly for the last 5 years. The original Blink badge tag, is still on it. Basically, the case has remained intact and never needed to be opened. Until now....

91040 said:
There are a couple of threads about problems with the Blink EVSE. Use search to find them.

Even if the "higher" level functions fail, it can be used as a dumb unit.

Check the grounding. If its been very dry that also may be a problem. My unit started working properly after soaking the grounding rods.

mxp said:

I did find the Blink thread which you can disconnect the computer board and make it a dumb evse. This would be my last resort.

If you have a link handy, specific to the "blank" screen after the EV Project Logo, could you pass it along?
91040 said:
A Google search for site:mynissanleaf.com blink equipment stopped working turned up http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=18880.

A Google search for site:mynissanleaf.com blink blank turned up http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=19678.

Suggest you do searches like the above on both Google and Bing.

Turnover said:
Check the grounding. If its been very dry that also may be a problem. My unit started working properly after soaking the grounding rods.

Huh? Your equipment grounding conductor is not connected to neutral in the main panel?

Thanks cwerdna. That's a good tip using that search syntax in google search.

cwerdna said:
mxp said:

91040 said:
A Google search for site:mynissanleaf.com blink equipment stopped working turned up http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=18880.

A Google search for site:mynissanleaf.com blink blank turned up http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=19678.

Suggest you do searches like the above on both Google and Bing.

It's definitely not the grounding.

BTW, I am currently running it in dumb mode. I have disconnected both the small connectors as mentioned in the how-to thread.

It works perfectly with the Leaf's schedule timer programming mode, but I really miss the screen.

The other observation is this: With the plastic covers off, I am able to see a bit more, the LEDs surrounding the LCD display seems to flicker and respond. This clue tells me that the LCD module is fine. The "backlight" is present on screen, so the only other thing I could try is:

1. Swap out the SD card with a working one. Maybe the SD card is corrupted and can't boot(?)
or,
2. Swap out the computer board module with a replacement from a junked Blink.

Does anyone have any better suggestions??? Thanks!

Turnover said:

Check all connections for tightness. They may get loose with use and time. There is also a screw on some kind of pot that a repairman adjusted one time. Don't remember exactly what it did. I think it was below the screen, basically in the middle.

Back