mxp
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Blink evse: Where in the menu can you change "Max Current" setting?

Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:09 am

Hi,
I have searched all the menus on the Blink evse, and I cannot find the menu to change the "Max Current" setting on the evse.
Can someone pls point me to the menu where I can change the Max current setting?

Thanks!

lkkms2
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2016
Leaf Number: 302025

Re: Blink evse: Where in the menu can you change "Max Current" setting?

Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:47 am

I vaguely remember that someone discovered a hidden menu or steps not in the user manual for this (about 3 years ago? On this forum)

I think Blink actually remotely reduced the Max when there was a concern that some of the early L2 handles may not have been properly manufactured to handle the newest EVs that had greater than 3.3 kW chargers. Concern there might be over heating of the handle.

You might be able to search the forum. I may have printed the steps out but would have to "search my files" to see if I could find it.
2011 Leaf SL purchased 6-22-2011, sold 1-18-2017 with new battery.
2017 Leaf SV with Premium Package purchased 12-30-2016

Delivery Date: 06 May 2011

Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:07 am

Be sure that you are not overloading your circuit!!

Settings
Device Info
Maximum Current- touch and hold for 10 seconds
Enter maintenance PIN - 906598
Amperage
Use arrows to raise or lower
Save
1st Capacity Bar loss 30k mi 16.25mo 2nd- 49k mi 25.5mo 51.5Ah
3rd- 73k mi 36.5mo 46.9Ah 71% SOH 50.9Hx 4th- 86.5k mi 43mo 42.61Ah 64% SOH 43.79Hx
5th- 101k mi 50.5mo 38.38Ah 58% SOH 37.02Hx Replaced Battery 9/28/15 104.2k mi 36.13Ah

davewill

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:32 am

I will add, that if you still have the original handle, >16a is not advisable. The handles fail and overheat at a high rate. After mine failed, I changed it out, and now use 30a all the time.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

webfootguy
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2016

Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:45 pm

NOTE: This procedure only works on the Residential Blink chargers. The ones setup for RFID cards that charge $$ do not use this procedure.
2016 SL with Premium Package 3 year lease on 03-25-2016.

rpmdk

Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:57 pm

I have an original Blink WE 30-CIRE EVSE installed back in 2011 by ECOtality. It's still the same unit, same handle, there were a couple glitches in the first few weeks, but quick restarts solved those and no repairs have been necessary.

I'm looking to replace my 2011 LEAF with it's 3.6 kWh charger and I'm wondering if this Blink unit will be up to the challenge of a 6.6 kWh charger?

Will the unit need an upgrade?

Is there a simple solution for a moderately capable DIYer?

This was the most on point thread I could find for my question, if there is a more appropriate thread my apologies and please point me in the right direction.

Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:10 pm

rpmdk wrote:I have an original Blink WE 30-CIRE EVSE installed back in 2011 by ECOtality. It's still the same unit, same handle, there were a couple glitches in the first few weeks, but quick restarts solved those and no repairs have been necessary.

I'm looking to replace my 2011 LEAF with it's 3.6 kWh charger and I'm wondering if this Blink unit will be up to the challenge of a 6.6 kWh charger?

This was the most on point thread I could find for my question, if there is a more appropriate thread my apologies and please point me in the right direction.

I think Davewill has it right...If you're going to charge higher than 16 amps with the Blink, you need to keep an eye on it and make sure that you don't have overheating issues. Tony WIlliams was the original person I remember that had issues charging his RAV4 EV, and it melted the charging port on the car as well as the J1772 handle...

Honestly, if you want to charge a new car at 6.6kW, to be safe I would recommend getting one of the new EVSE that is up to the task, such as Clipper Creek HCS-40, ChargePoint Home, etc.

davewill

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:45 am

rpmdk wrote:I have an original Blink WE 30-CIRE EVSE installed back in 2011 by ECOtality. It's still the same unit, same handle, there were a couple glitches in the first few weeks, but quick restarts solved those and no repairs have been necessary.

Changing the entire cable out is pretty simple. My logic in doing a repair this expensive was that if the Blink crapped out, I would reuse the new cable on an OpenEVSE build. However, my Blink is still going strong and it's the same vintage as yours.

You can get the replacement from Tony at QuickChargePower. I have this one on my OpenEVSE:

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/J-Plug ... JPC40A.htm

I used the Leviton one for my Blink. The handle is nicer than Tony's, but the cable is thicker and more cumbersome and it's a little more expensive. If Tony had been selling his at the time, I would have gone that way.

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-A2034-PE ... b_title_hi

I think that GlennD solders the connections in the Blink ones and claims it works well. You might ask him.

Dave
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:24 pm

I have repaired about half a dozen cables that I purchased on eBay for less than $100 shipped. All but one were easy to solder. The last one was clearly bad. The cable was oxidized and I had to scrape the wire shiny with an exacto knife. I really think it is easier to solder the cable before it over heats.

The required things to solder the connections are a good iron and good flux. Ir really needs better flux then that that is in the solder even though I use Kester solder.
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250E

rpmdk

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:30 am

davewill wrote:

Changing the entire cable out is pretty simple. My logic in doing a repair this expensive was that if the Blink crapped out, I would reuse the new cable on an OpenEVSE build. However, my Blink is still going strong and it's the same vintage as yours.

You can get the replacement from Tony at QuickChargePower. I have this one on my OpenEVSE:

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/J-Plug ... JPC40A.htm

I used the Leviton one for my Blink. The handle is nicer than Tony's, but the cable is thicker and more cumbersome and it's a little more expensive. If Tony had been selling his at the time, I would have gone that way.

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-A2034-PE ... b_title_hi

I think that GlennD solders the connections in the Blink ones and claims it works well. You might ask him.

Dave

Thank you, I'll look into this now.

Does replacing the cable require soldering? Can it be attached any other way? I'm not great with a soldering iron.

Return to “Blink”