Anyone Convert a Blink EVSE to Open EVSE?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonefishin

Has anyone had experience converting the Blink EVSE to Open EVSE using their kits? I've read the Open EVSE instructions and it seems pretty straightforward to rip out all the guts of the Blink reusing the 240V cable, J1772 cable, and Cutler Hammer AC Contactor. I've had no problems with my J1772 cable so far.

Their kits range from $104 for just an LED to $149 for a color LCD. I'm uncertain if I need the LCD at all, and whether I should pay another $100 to get their tiny enclosure. Also, I'm hoping to get a Tesla Model 3 at some point. Will there be any problems connecting to both the Leaf (I plan to keep min) and the Tesla? I heard that there's a converter plug to the Tesla plug.

A couple of years ago, I converted my Blink to an eBay sale, bought a workhorse Clipper Creek CS40 on eBay, and had $100 left over...

gonefishin said:
I'm uncertain if I need the LCD at all, and whether I should pay another $100 to get their tiny enclosure.
You should definitely get the LCD, IMHO (unless you can find a way to repurpose the Blink's display, which would be even better). You shouldn't need a case if you're satisfied with the Blink's case (large, but stylin', IMHO).

I had intended to do this conversion, but haven't yet. I just have my broken Blink sitting on a shelf for now, alongside my broken OpenEVSE.

Back