BLINK: Firmware will not update

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBELEAF

I am temporary connected via Ethernet connection and I've been having the issue with the BLINK not being able to update to latest firmware automatically. I've requested BLINK support to send me firmware directly, that I seem might be able to update via browser, but their response is that it's not a normal procedure and I need to wait until the firmware will get pushed automatically. So far that hasn't happened after leaving the unit connected for 24 hours untouched. Also tried power cycling with no luck... Anyone else having issues with firmware updates?

I've had my Blink for about 6 weeks or so. It is running firmware version L2R.1.2A. Even though it checks for firmware every 15 minutes, it has never downloaded a new version.

When I snoop my firewall logs, I see the Blink connecting to what looks like the home page of the Blinknetwork.com webpage (173.195.80.10 port 80), but no return traffic answers the Blink's query for new firmware, leaving me to believe that it really isn't completing the process for checking for new firmware. Maybe a placeholder url until they get something setup to disseminate the firmware?

I'd be curious to hear if others have downloaded new firmware successfully or snooped the traffic to see how it works....

Thanks, Randy

Have you looked in the system log (Main -> Settings -> Device Info -> View System Log)? That might help you figure out if it's a connectivity issue or something else.

It says I am connected and EVSE not activated in the Device Info screen. Also log is completely useless with wrong dates and bunch of errors.

I am running 1.0_L2R_C which is 2 firmwares behind.

IBELEAF said:
I am temporary connected via LAN connection and I've been having the issue with the BLINK not being able to update to latest firmware automatically. I've requested BLINK support to send me firmware directly, that I seem might be able to update via browser, but their response is that it's not a normal procedure and I need to wait until the firmware will get pushed automatically. So far that hasn't happened after leaving the unit connected for 24 hours untouched. Also tried power cycling with no luck... Anyone else having issues with firmware updates?

when you use the term LAN, do you mean ethernet rather than wireless.
the term really means both.

Yes, I rarely use term Ethernet connection because I live in a 802.11n world. Blink made me go back to the days of wires and I am not too excited about that at the moment because I have a wire running across the whole house. :)

IBELEAF said:
Yes, I rarely use term Ethernet connection because I live in a 802.11n world. Blink made me go back to the days of wires and I am not too excited about that at the moment because I have a wire running across the whole house. :)
Of course YMMV, but I have found that 'weak' wifi devices tend to be more stable using 802.11g. I have a dual-band Airport Extreme that lets me choose between the two and I currently have the Blink on 11g and it is so far stable.

Jim

HIOJim said:
IBELEAF said:
Of course YMMV, but I have found that 'weak' wifi devices tend to be more stable using 802.11g. I have a dual-band Airport Extreme that lets me choose between the two and I currently have the Blink on 11g and it is so far stable.

Jim
Well some older g routers do have more range then n, but in my case it's not an issue. I can't connect to my wireless at all using WEP, WPA, WPA2 and even completely encryption free. BLINK said that I need to update the firmware, but I can't even get to that point at the moment...

IBELEAF said:
garygid said:
RL2-1.2A is the latest "released" Blink firmware, right?

Yes, and if someone happen to have it and could share it, that would be much appreciated.
The contractor that installed your Blink should have a copy of it. Several Blink owners mentioned having their units updated by the contractor either pre-install or post-install. In my case, I was able to get connected after a couple of false starts. However, I did have to power-cycle the Blink unit (using the circuit breaker) to get it to initiate the firmware download/install.

The contractor that installed my Blink stated he plugged it into his network at the shop to download the update and that it took about 30 minutes. It was completely automatic and downloads from the Internet.

Blink has made a lot of changes to their website though in about the last week... I wouldn't be surprised if they messed up the firmware download process...

Mine running 1.0_L2R_C required a power cycle to self-update (about 10 minutes later). It did not self-update after 12 hours with 1.0_L2R_C. I hardwired the LAN connection about 5 hours after power-on, then 12 more hours passed with no update until I power cycled.

The installed mine yesterday and before Sunwest left, they tried to get it to update before they pulled the power. no dice, stuck on the original firmware. It downloaded the 'first file' and processed it, then downloaded the 'second file' and processed it, but no update. After 45 mins, and dealing with tech support, they gave up. I felt bad having to have them wait when it was clear that the unit wasn't going to fix itself.

(this was after a power cycle - and on wireless).

So we'll see what happens after the city does the final inspection and SDG&E installs the 2nd meter... getting a long CAT6 cable is already on the agenda for Sat morning...

My Blink appears to be update challenged as well. Currently running L2R.1.2A. Here's my recent log posting -

Apr 4 17:57:43 evse2 user.err updatesession: [EVSE] 11 Not authorized.
Apr 4 17:41:40 evse2 daemon.info EVSE-Client[1838]: Processing file 1
Apr 4 17:41:40 evse2 daemon.info EVSE-Client[1838]: Calling server for firmware download

Also notice the time stamp is off on both the server side as well as my Blink unit. If I manually change it, then re-select the auto option, the Blink time is off by 1 hour. Selecting DST ON/OFF doesn't appear to work.

Magically, after another power cycle (reset breaker) and an hour wait, it it now running L2R.1.3A. The odd thing is the log stills has the same series of errors and the local Blink time remains off when configured for 'auto'. When I attempt to update, I get the following error -

Blink_04042011.jpg

Back