Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:39 am

Earlier tonight I did some investigation on the Blink EVSE and determined that the EVSE functions are implemented on a separate board than the Linux computer functions. They are connected by a small multipin harness, and when this harness is unplugged, the EVSE becomes "dumb". It will then always charge just like a non-smart AV or similar.

In addition, you can optionally unplug the Linux computer board which will shutdown those functions and save some standby power. I measured almost 20 watts standby in the stock configuration, and when taken to "dumb" EVSE mode, the standby power dropped to 12 watts. (an 8 watt savings!)

This may be a useful temporary solution until Ecotality gets their bugs fixed, so you can rest easy knowing the you'll wake up with a charged car instead of a dead one!

While I was in there I also noticed that the unit is equipped with a cellular modem, which I assume is used when the unit is installed somewhere without internet service.

They used an off-the-shelf single-phase electronic meter to measure consumption, which is read by the linux board.

Notice: Modification or even opening the case of the Blink EVSE may be a violation of your contract with Ecotality, so consider this before doing anything!

If you wish to turn your Blink into a reliable, but dumb EVSE, simply open the case and unplug the multipin blue cable from the top of the unit on the back board. If you want to shut down the Linux computer also, you can pull the 3-wire blue cable from the bottom of the front board. Note: cut power to the EVSE before opening the case, there is 240V present!

I'll post some pictures when I get time.

-Phil
Last edited by evnow on Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title Changed
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

davewill

Re: Fix for the Blink EVSE!

Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:46 am

That's comforting, knowing that if the logic board ever dies, I can still charge.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:23 pm

Nice work! Leave it to you to address the shortcomings of other people's products. :)

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

Ingineer

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:25 pm

Here are some pictures. The First shows the top connector that when disconnected will ensure the EVSE basic function always works:

Here is the bottom connector, when disconnected this will kill the display and all "higher functions", and HAL will no longer be able to send you out of the airlock as dead meat: (It will also save 8 watts!)

This shows the off-the-shelf electronic meter they use to gather statistics. It has a display, so in theory you could extend the wiring and use it still to record your kWh:

Again, I'll warn you that this modification or even opening the case of the Blink EVSE may be a violation of your contract with Ecotality, so consider this before doing anything!

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

davewill

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:36 pm

Now that's hilarious! I mean, they put an entire logic board running Linux in there, but couldn't handle sampling and logging their own usage data? They had to put a whole logging meter, in it's friggin' case in there? I guess the logic board is only handling the display, timer, and network functions. It makes me wonder whether the logging was just slapped in to support the EV Project and is otherwise not part of their design.

Any signs of a serial console? And has anyone port scanned this puppy to see whether they might have left a telnet or ssh or other method of accessing a shell open?

jamesanne
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:48 pm

So this is more of a work around than a fix? To those who are having problems, please report them to Blink and the EV Project. That is the only way a real fix will be developed.

Phil, thanks for helping out those in a pinch, especially going into a weekend when tech support might not be available.

davewill

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:57 pm

jamesanne wrote:So this is more of a work around than a fix? To those who are having problems, please report them to Blink and the EV Project. That is the only way a real fix will be developed.

Phil, thanks for helping out those in a pinch, especially going into a weekend when tech support might not be available.

Definitely a workaround, and not one that's ultra useful while the Project is running because it would no longer send usage data to the mothership (and it still belongs to the Project so we aren't supposed to open it, anyway)...but it might be very handy at a later date if the EVSE malfs, and having it repaired is costly. At least we know we could do this lobotomy and get a functioning EVSE again.

DarkStar
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:00 pm

davewill wrote:Any signs of a serial console? And has anyone port scanned this puppy to see whether they might have left a telnet or ssh or other method of accessing a shell open?

I port scanned the whole damn thing and couldn't find anything except port 80... Hard to believe there isn't a way to telnet or ssh into it...

jamesanne wrote:So this is more of a work around than a fix? To those who are having problems, please report them to Blink and the EV Project. That is the only way a real fix will be developed.

Blink Network support is 24/7/365. They're based in Phoenix, Arizona too...
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

Ingineer

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:02 pm

Seems like they have had ample time to fix the issues. If anything issue a temporary fix to revert to "dumb" EVSE mode until they can fully test and work out the bugs, then issue another one later.

I recommend this band-aid just until they get their shit together and fix it!

After all, they have the thing checking for updates every 15 minutes! Why not make use of it?!?

I didn't try to locate a serial console port, but I suspect there is one. There are a lot of unused connectors, and it appears the OS is stored on a micro-SD card. The cellular modem appears to be connected via a standard USB port.

-Phil

chris1howell
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 4122

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:06 pm

What a mess.... wires everwhere...
2011 LEAF: Red SL #04122
2012 Tesla Model S #01530
EVSE: OpenEVSE, 40A L1/L2 -- http://www.openevse.com
PV System: 28 x 210W -> 5.8 kW DC

OpenEVSE Store: http://store.openevse.com

Return to “Blink”