gonefishin
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:30 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Oct 2011

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:33 am

After 3 months I am declaring the splice replacements a proper longterm fix to the self-test faults. See my previous posts for details but I think the whole issue with these self-test failures lies in bad splices and it's a 5 min and likely $0 fix for anyone. I would try that before I would proceed with lobotomizing the blink charger because I tried that and it didn't solve the problem. It's possible other people have other issues discussed in the repair kit, but it seems most likely that the splices are the failure point because they are mechanical and were done improperly to begin with.

Try removing the splice and test the system - does it look like your failure? Now try replacing the splice with a wire nut or soldering. If it doesn't work please post your results but I think this should be the next step for anyone.

tedhtl
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:25 am
Delivery Date: 13 Oct 2017

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:24 am

davewill wrote:
tedhtl wrote:Hi All,

I have a lobotomized Blink charger. Did we ever put together a github repository or create any replacement software to control this charger? That would be a fun project. I’m a computer engineer.


User "whoami" started to do so in a project he called "Wink". He even posted a video of his efforts back on page 2, but vanished without ever sharing any of his code.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=3279&p=81975#p81975

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ1_1TpDWsg


Yes, I sent that person a message. Also, didn’t DarkDave create a repository?

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=3279&p=80613#p80613

hcirlub
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:04 pm
Delivery Date: 19 Jun 2011

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:12 pm

Thanks for this thread. My EVSE would just go black screen after about 15 minutes of charging and be completely unresponsive until reset. Making it "dumb" made it functional again. Nice to see there is some support still out there for these.

cracovian
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:51 am
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:09 pm

Lots of original commercial pedestal L2 units are getting decommissioned these days... Does anyone know if they can be turned into dumb units after disconnecting blue cables from the Linux computer? Is that an option like on the residential units or can anything else be done with them?
2012 LEAF SL - 72K miles (7 bars)
Reserved: 04/20/2010, Delivered: 11/11/11

10.80 kW AC solar array: LG and SunEdison panels on Enphase

webfootguy
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:32 pm
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2016
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:59 pm

The guts of the pedestal unit is identical to the residential units. There is a different image on the SD card for commercial units though. You can replace it with a SD image from the residential unit and remove the need for an RFID card (depending on how it was setup).
2016 SL with Premium Package 3 year lease on 03-25-2016.

gonefishin
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:30 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Oct 2011

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:16 pm

It's been another year since my last fix (re-soldering the CT splice) so I thought I'd give an update. My fix worked for a long while, then it had a lot of problems. I tried replacing my CT with a new one from OpenEVSE but that actually failed horribly. Even though their CT seems to be the exact same model & specs as the original, something is different with the current - perhaps the actual wires matter. So I ended up redoing the splices with the original CT and being extra careful to preserve as many strands of the wires as possible in the soldering job and it's now held up for several months. It's a real pain to keep having to do this every 6 months but at least it's still kicking. I'm quite sure it has something to do with the splices because when it was failing often, I could fix it every time by just grabbing the splices and fiddling with them for a second (I left the cover off... which isn't super safe but noone was randomly sticking fingers into it).

Return to “Blink”