Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingineer

Earlier tonight I did some investigation on the Blink EVSE and determined that the EVSE functions are implemented on a separate board than the Linux computer functions. They are connected by a small multipin harness, and when this harness is unplugged, the EVSE becomes "dumb". It will then always charge just like a non-smart AV or similar.

In addition, you can optionally unplug the Linux computer board which will shutdown those functions and save some standby power. I measured almost 20 watts standby in the stock configuration, and when taken to "dumb" EVSE mode, the standby power dropped to 12 watts. (an 8 watt savings!)

This may be a useful temporary solution until Ecotality gets their bugs fixed, so you can rest easy knowing the you'll wake up with a charged car instead of a dead one!

While I was in there I also noticed that the unit is equipped with a cellular modem, which I assume is used when the unit is installed somewhere without internet service.

They used an off-the-shelf single-phase electronic meter to measure consumption, which is read by the linux board.

Notice: Modification or even opening the case of the Blink EVSE may be a violation of your contract with Ecotality, so consider this before doing anything!

If you wish to turn your Blink into a reliable, but dumb EVSE, simply open the case and unplug the multipin blue cable from the top of the unit on the back board. If you want to shut down the Linux computer also, you can pull the 3-wire blue cable from the bottom of the front board. Note: cut power to the EVSE before opening the case, there is 240V present!

I'll post some pictures when I get time.

-Phil

Here are some pictures. The First shows the top connector that when disconnected will ensure the EVSE basic function always works:
pic

Here is the bottom connector, when disconnected this will kill the display and all "higher functions", and HAL will no longer be able to send you out of the airlock as dead meat: (It will also save 8 watts!)
pic

This shows the off-the-shelf electronic meter they use to gather statistics. It has a display, so in theory you could extend the wiring and use it still to record your kWh:
pic

Again, I'll warn you that this modification or even opening the case of the Blink EVSE may be a violation of your contract with Ecotality, so consider this before doing anything!

-Phil

Now that's hilarious! I mean, they put an entire logic board running Linux in there, but couldn't handle sampling and logging their own usage data? They had to put a whole logging meter, in it's friggin' case in there? I guess the logic board is only handling the display, timer, and network functions. It makes me wonder whether the logging was just slapped in to support the EV Project and is otherwise not part of their design.

Any signs of a serial console? And has anyone port scanned this puppy to see whether they might have left a telnet or ssh or other method of accessing a shell open?

So this is more of a work around than a fix? To those who are having problems, please report them to Blink and the EV Project. That is the only way a real fix will be developed.

Phil, thanks for helping out those in a pinch, especially going into a weekend when tech support might not be available.

jamesanne said:
So this is more of a work around than a fix? To those who are having problems, please report them to Blink and the EV Project. That is the only way a real fix will be developed.

Phil, thanks for helping out those in a pinch, especially going into a weekend when tech support might not be available.
Definitely a workaround, and not one that's ultra useful while the Project is running because it would no longer send usage data to the mothership (and it still belongs to the Project so we aren't supposed to open it, anyway)...but it might be very handy at a later date if the EVSE malfs, and having it repaired is costly. At least we know we could do this lobotomy and get a functioning EVSE again.

davewill said:
Any signs of a serial console? And has anyone port scanned this puppy to see whether they might have left a telnet or ssh or other method of accessing a shell open?
I port scanned the whole damn thing and couldn't find anything except port 80... Hard to believe there isn't a way to telnet or ssh into it...

jamesanne said:

Blink Network support is 24/7/365. They're based in Phoenix, Arizona too...

Seems like they have had ample time to fix the issues. If anything issue a temporary fix to revert to "dumb" EVSE mode until they can fully test and work out the bugs, then issue another one later.

I recommend this band-aid just until they get their **** together and fix it!

After all, they have the thing checking for updates every 15 minutes! Why not make use of it?!?

I didn't try to locate a serial console port, but I suspect there is one. There are a lot of unused connectors, and it appears the OS is stored on a micro-SD card. The cellular modem appears to be connected via a standard USB port.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
I didn't try to locate a serial console port, but I suspect there is one. There are a lot of unused connectors, and it appears the OS is stored on a micro-SD card. The cellular modem appears to be connected via a standard USB port.

-Phil
Unused connectors? Do you mean it uses a standard USB connector? Usually you would replace that with something that can better stand up to vibration, etc... An off-the-shelf logic board, perhaps? The reason for my guess is that their main logic board could have easily encompassed the EVSE functioning and the usage monitoring, but they instead spent extra money on self-contained modules for those two. I'm beginning to think they bought all three off the shelf and then just wrote some software to do the "smart" functions.

Nevermind, I looked back at the photo and saw the Ecotality silk screen on the main board. Curious that it doesn't say, "Blink", though.

So while we're on this subject, all the SW for the linux micro is located on a micro SD card on the bottom side of the linux box. Its a standard FAT partition they boot the linux kernel off and two EXT2 partitions on the SD card. The second parition (EXT2) is the main root partition and the third partition is a backup for failed upgrades.

The UI is a web browser on port 8080, the backend software is written completely in Python. They do indeed run iptables to keep you out. But some simple mods and you can enable ssh.

The second board is the J1772 centric board that runs a PIC. The PIC controller code has been at 1.8 since I've gotten the Blink. They have not upgraded this firmware. The PIC code looks good and is very stable. The PIC signals over both serial/uart as well as 5 GPIOs. The GPIOs indeed differentiate the difference between charging and just plugged in. The most recent firmware fix of this was a complete joke. 5-10 minutes of software.

As Ingneer points out the whole EVSE is a complete joke. It looks like a garage shop build. The software is equally as garage shop.

We will just leave it at there will be firmware available soon that actually woks as well as display the correct info and puts the micro to sleep. Wow a novel concept!

While I am on the HW, the build is done so poorly with a significant amount of bypass caps and other current draining items. It really needs a complete redesign. For anyone who is considering purchasing a Blink. Just don't go there. For those of us who get the boat anchors for free, keep it for the 2 years then we'll take care of it.

Wow! Thanks for the report and pics Ingineer as well as whoami's first post.

I was curious if either of you noticed what WiFi chip or module the unit is using and if it is soldered or possibly socketed to the main board. I was also curious if they shut down the WiFi and the cellular radio when using Ethernet. Someone mentioned that a zigbee radio might be in there too.

who is this whoami guy, anway? :)

Thanks for the info on the Blink internals - I have to think with the system being so easily hackable (apparently since it was hacked together) how long it will take for a big modding community to build around the Blink in spite of all it's built-in "features". It will appeal to many exactly because of it...

drees said:
I have to think with the system being so easily hackable (apparently since it was hacked together) how long it will take for a big modding community to build around the Blink in spite of all it's built-in "features". It will appeal to many exactly because of it...
I am looking forward to playing Doom on my Blink while it charges the Leaf :lol: Probably look pretty sweet on the Blink DC Fast Charger's 42" daylight readable, LCD color display and sound system and make those 30 minutes charges seem like seconds :D

If you are a member of the free EV Project, disconnecting it clearly would violate your reporting contract and could result in you forfeiting the Blink, so just be aware of that if you elect to do this... Of course, after three years you can do whatever you want!

That being said, I love this!

Back