davewill

Re: Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:57 am

In case it's not clear, the "kit" does seem to fix the problem. I had mine fixed as described in TSB 42 during it's warranty period, and I've never had another fault (been 3 or so years since the fix.) I later had to replace my cable and plug when it went bad, and had them set my unit back to 30a. I've often wondered how long it will last, but it shows no signs of quitting. I do occasionally inspect for signs of heating, but so far, knock on wood, it's been OK.

I have a utility grade meter attached to the Blink that just turned 20 MWh, and I used the Blink for a couple of years before I got the meter !
Last edited by davewill on Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

rdhauser
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 05 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5287

Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:11 pm

Thank you, Dave, that gives me (even) more confidence. I suppose when the CS folks say that "they can't really guarantee that he kit will fix the problem" they're being extra cautious - and perhaps moving the caller more toward ordering a new unit.
Dick
Carwings Name OlyLeaf
Glacier Pearl SLe 005287.
Reserved 4/21/10, Ordered 1/1/11, BLINKed 6/14/11, Delivered 7/5/11, Reserve deposit Refunded 7/8/11.

seva
Delivery Date: 04 Nov 2011
Leaf Number: 009625

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:53 pm

the fix posted in 2011works fine (to turn the Blink charger into a dumb charger). mine was NOT exhibiting Self Test Fault. it was simply NOT engaging and charging. the car (my Volt, used to have a Leaf on lease) would say "Can not start charging" although it saw it was plugged in. the Blink unit did not see the cable plugged in, and it seemed to always have a scheduled charge time set up even though i always set it up with "Charge Immediately". only a few times was i able to get the charger to turn on. after i pulled the two plugs in that original 2011 posting, it worked fine! BLINK (carcharging) had pathetic tech support. they would list what they could sell me (repair kit, new HQ), would not answer any questions, and worse yet, didn't even tell me what the "repair kit" was.

Return to “Blink”