Loud hum while charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjzastaury

I've been in the garage before while the Blink was charging my Leaf, and I don't recall much of any sound at all. Starting last night, however, it makes a loud humming noise when it's charging, which I find worrisome. Or did I just not notice it until now?

Humming is normal, however it usually isn't very loud. I would press on the Blink in various locations while you hear the humming to see if it diminishes as the box could act like a speaker, amplifying the humming.

I won't mention that the security tag fits through the hole without removing the tag, in case you were comfortable disconnecting the power and opening the Blink to check things internally. ;)

So ECOtality had the contractor get in touch with me, and they came over Friday afternoon, heard the buzzing and determined it was coming from the contact (or something like that), and just swapped out the whole Blink. It's quiet as a dormouse now.

Same issue here.
I installed my Blink L2 charger like for nearly 2 weeks. Today, all of a sudden when I charged my leaf, a loud humming sound coming from the charging station.
(I am pretty sure it is from the charging station NOT from the leaf)
And the noise is quite large, that when I am in my bedroom above the garage (where the charger installed), I can also here the humming sound.

rjzastaury said:
So ECOtality had the contractor get in touch with me, and they came over Friday afternoon, heard the buzzing and determined it was coming from the contact (or something like that), and just swapped out the whole Blink. It's quiet as a dormouse now.
Probably the "contactor", which the the high-current relay which disconnects the 240V from the car until everything is ready.

DoxyLover said:
rjzastaury said:
Probably the "contactor", which the the high-current relay which disconnects the 240V from the car until everything is ready.
I agree, mine hums just a tad when it's under load too.

In a quiet garage standing next to the Blink you can hear it hum, it's a pretty constant hum that I wouldn't describe as chatter/buzzing/crackling/etc. It's definitely not supposed to be loud enough to hear it from a different room or even if you are away from the unit.

Back