Blink Charging Station for Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick2000

I got my Nissan Leaf about a month ago and was able to get the Blink Charging station for free with the $1,200 incentive. However after using the Blink it isn't worth more than free. My recommendation is don't get the Blink Charging Station as Nissan recommends - it's terrible technology with terrible software that works poorly, the charging timer doesn't work, and it always loses the wireless data entered which prevents charging until you re-enter all your wireless information again and yet again. Ecotality's selection of Blink is a waste of tax payer’s money at the best or is a scam by whoever created the program to pay the creators of Blink for a terrible product. It's better to convert the cars extension cord 220/240v plug through EVSEupgrade and get a 20 Amp circuit with an L620R outlet installed by an electrical contractor which is 100% reliable and doesn't require a city inspection or permit fee. I’m glad I got this plug for when Blink is on the blink.

Rick2000 said:
... installed by an electrical contractor which is 100% reliable and doesn't require a city inspection or permit fee. ...
If your electrician doesn't get the required permits, he's not reliable at all.

On the other hand, I've had my Blink for over a month (yes, that is a short period) and it has not once failed to charge my Leaf. You are generally only going to hear about the problems while most satisfied users will tend to stay quiet. I agree that there should not be anyone who has problems with such a product. However, just because there are problems does not mean that everyone is having problems.

it has issues with connectivity that are solved with hard wiring.
it never fails to charge regardless of connectivity.
it is free in exchange for working as a beta tester. the testing is entirely on the data collecting end.
you can buy av or whatever, and it just does the charging part.

i get that they should figure this stuff out. is it tougher to do than go to the moon or spy on Iran?

Put me down as satisfied and glad to be in their beta efforts to spread the technology.

what we really have is a startup company in a cutting edge field with minimal money and support that barely qualifies as a pittance from the government.

lets compare the EV money verses support for oil, welfare, or any other program. EVs is a win win in nearly every aspect of American Life. but it will have to do much of it on its own.

sure the thing is free. sure the thing is from a new company feeling its way and sure the company is playing with net that has holes in it. and its a pretty small net

Rick2000 said:
... it always loses the wireless data entered which prevents charging until you re-enter all your wireless information again and yet again.
After you re-boot the Blink by unplugging it, do not respond to the screen prompts. It will revert to the previous settings.

I guess you can put me down in the "satisfied" category on the Blink. I've had zero timer issues (I use the Blink timers exclusively) and the Blink has never failed to charge my Leaf. My networking issues were resolved by using my own ethernet to wifi adapter since Blink seems to think a miniature wifi antenna has the capability of sending a signal through steel. :D

Overall, the interface is a bit clunky, but that isn't anything that can't be resolved once we "own" the units. :D

get the latest version of the software. if you can't get the system to upgrade then get it from the SD card. that will fix those issues.

this thread is typical of Ecotality as a whole. they have a decent product but very poor communication, QA, tech support or customer service.

what we have is two polar opposites as far as customers go

1) the one who simply does what they are instructed to. the receive a "Manual" which is either vague, inaccurate or very unclear. they have problems, they call for tech support i am guessing and rarely get the help they need most likely because they don t know the right question to ask

2) the person who has a bit of tech knowledge. is able to see the problem, fixes it on their own and then has minimal issues with it.

all that smacks of an immature company. telephone tech support is a major challenge for any company that provides a semi complicated software controlled hardware device. for many companies; its their single greatest expense.

so having great tech support is something i would not expect which makes this site all that more valuable

DarkStar said:
I guess you can put me down in the "satisfied" category on the Blink. I've had zero timer issues (I use the Blink timers exclusively) and the Blink has never failed to charge my Leaf. My networking issues were resolved by using my own ethernet to wifi adapter since Blink seems to think a miniature wifi antenna has the capability of sending a signal through steel. :D

Overall, the interface is a bit clunky, but that isn't anything that can't be resolved once we "own" the units. :D

+1 No issues since June. Upgraded by it self to 1.8 today. I just happened to be in the garage and heard some beeps. My network is wired.

DarkStar said:

Agree 100%. Once we own the units, Let the h@k!nG Begin. I'm following closely the comments in other threads about what is going on behind the Wizard's Curtain (Linux, common parts thrown together in a Kluge, MP3 capability, etc.)

My Blink has worked 100% for me but it is still in the first month. We'll see, what we will see, eh Inspector?

Dave

Rick2000 said:
My recommendation is don't get the Blink Charging Station as Nissan recommends
I tough Nissan recommends using the Aerovironment EVSE. I got the AV EVSE installed in my garage a year ago and I never had a trace any hint of a glitch with charging. I guess back then the Blink wasn't available but I'm still surprised Nissan would have ditched AV.

I have had my Blink & Leaf for about 2 months and have had no problems at all. I opted for the power-line connector since wifi in my garage was sketchy (detached garage) and it has never had any issues using that. I don't use the timers on the Blink since the timers on the Leaf work just fine.

Once my commitment to the EVProject ends I intend to unplug the Blink from my network because it serves no real purposes on a daily basis (beyond sending info back to the EVProject). Perhaps I'll plug it in once a month to let it get updates.

But all-in-all, I'm +1 for a satisfied customer. And as other's have said, only issues are raised. Rarely is praise given when something works as expected.

I've had my Blink since April and used it daily since June. Not once has it failed to charge. I am hard wired because I feel that is inherently more secure. The Blink has beeped a lot for no apparent reason and seemed to reboot, even while I'm charging, but never interrupted charging. It does exactly what I want from it and that is to always charge. Consider me satisfied with the value for the money.

DaveinOlyWA said:
what we really have is a startup company in a cutting edge field with minimal money and support that barely qualifies as a pittance from the government.

lets compare the EV money verses support for oil, welfare, or any other program. EVs is a win win in nearly every aspect of American Life. but it will have to do much of it on its own.

sure the thing is free. sure the thing is from a new company feeling its way and sure the company is playing with net that has holes in it. and its a pretty small net

I am on board with the fact that the Blink is emerging technology and that I have been "paid" the cost of a Blink and installation in exchange for being a beta tester. No problem with that. I'd rather see my tax dollars go towards reduction of reliance on Arab oil, paying for crack head baby mommas, WIC for folks in line with me at Krogers buying $200 worth of filet mignons at a time (to trade later for booze and crack), and all of the other "programs" which litter the landscape.

Dave

Blink, and/or any other L2 systems is kind of a "pigeon hole" need. Go to the airport, and you're likely flying off traveling for more than a day ... so virtually ALL of those L2's could have EASILY been L1 ... for a MUCH greater $$$ savings. Traveling along the road, Q.C. is the way to go. With all the wasted L2 costs put out by government sponsored Blink and other L2 manufacturers, that $$$ could have been better spent on Q.C. infrastructure. Hindsight ... 20/20 ... I know. Sure, there IS a market for L2, but (as many have said) 6.6kW charging for the leaf kind of misses the point of Leaf L2 charging. Yep, lots of kinks in the system to work out still. No doubt.

Thanks for passing this on. It is helpful to me in my business. If you are interested in reliable charging at work, see my post in the business section for WIN Partners. We sell EVSE to corporations to provide reliable charging for their employees.

Kevin Kelleher

Back