Blink DCFC - Request 80% - Only Get 67%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimLee

I've used Blink DCFC three times.
On two of these occasions, requested 80%, and on both occasions the car display after charging was only 8 bars out of 12, 67%.
Two different BLINK DCFC were involved; first time was Cracker Barrel East Ridge, TN; the other was yesterday at Cracker Barrel Cleveland, TN. Starting charge the first time was 42%, yesterday it was 27%.
Has anyone experienced this? Or is it likely the Leaf has a problem that needs to be fixed?
The other time I charged was from 77% to 100% yesterday at Cleveland. That took 25 minutes and worked right, the car displayed 12 bars after charging. So the charging accuracy has been correct for 100% DCFC, and incorrect both times for 80% DCFC.
I also used an Eaton DCFC at Murphy Express once, but was short on time and didn't wait for it to hit a set 80% charge, so haven't confirmed the Eaton DCFC performance yet.

Out of 3 attempts I've only had one successful charge :-(
The time it did charge, I selected 80% and it only charged up to 8 bars, like you reported.

I'll select 90% next time and see where it gets to.

See Phil's information in this link for more information on why it does this:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8769&start=20#p197028" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tim, you probably didn't see my posts about Blink DCQC. This is what I've recently found out, which is better than what I had said previously. (But if you just want 80%, then you have to set it for 90%). Now, I can get a 'full/12 bars' charge in less than 40 minutes (used to take one hour). I just set the first one to 100%, then when it stops (the car will stop it at 80% if you are below 50% to start), it will be 10 bars. I restart it after pushing the 'override' switch, and it will charge to 12 bars in less time than doing '90%', then '100%'.

Same experience with the Blink QC here in SF bay area.
Picking 90% gives me 10 bars and about 78% in the car...

Blink 80% is about 67% in the car...

That's correct. If you want an 80% charge, you have to choose either 90% or 100%. If you are below 50%/six bars, it will stop at 80%, which means 78-80% if you have full battery capacity. The last 80% QC (90% chosen) for me was an actual 72%.

I confirmed 05-29-2012 that the Murphy Express Eaton DCFC behaves similarly.
Started charge with 3/12 bars on LEAF display (~40% shown on Eaton % charge display).
Charging stopped automatically when LEAF displayed 9/12 bars (~ 90 % shown on Eaton % charge display).
After turning LEAF off, restarted charging, and charge to 10/12 bars on LEAF display (slightly >90 % shown on Eaton % charge display) finished in 1 minute, 50 seconds.
Details at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5349&p=201547#p201547" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the main problem with chargers that you set the % of charge on is that they think they control the charge. THE LEAF CONTROLS THE CHARGE so make the L3 simple and let the leaf do its job.blink is the only company who thinks they can control it all!

Back