Blink public charging station self test error?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volusiano

I was at the Mayo hospital in Scottsdale AZ yesterday and they have 3 Blink charging stations there. I was able to "login" with my Blink card, but upon connecting the J1772 to my car, the Blink errors out with some kind of "self test" error message. I tried the second Blink station, same problem. I was beginning to think maybe something was wrong with my car, but I tried out their 3rd and last Blink station and that one seemed to work OK.

I had the same problem before at another location (AAA office) with the "self test" error message.

Both times I tried calling the Blink support number while on the spot, but got put on hold for too long so I hung up.

Just wonder if anybody else sees this same error message before when they try to connect at a public Blink station, and if yes, whether they ever figured out what it means.

I believe this was a hint for you to sign up as a member with a credit card on record for when they start charging by the hour. I really needed the charge so I called and stayed on the line. Eventually I got through and the new firmware allowed them to let me log in as a guest with a specific password given for that login.

I went online to sign up as an official Member after this happened to me, but still didn't like having to accept redoing my residential agreement. I eventually called in by phone and they signed me in as a Member over the phone without having to agree to items on their website.

I'm already a member with credit card on record for future pay for charging. In fact, when I log on now, it tells me how much it'll cost me to charge (still $0 for now).

Also, if what you suspect is right, why would the third station at the same place work OK for me? I also visited 3 other locations on the same day which have Blink stations, and the other 3 locations worked fine for me.

So I highly doubt that the problem is because I was a non-paying member.

Hmm, interesting.

Well I had only tried two Blink EVSEs next to each other. This was about a week ago. Maybe if I had tried the third one (which happened to be a Handicap parking) that would have been the lucky charm :D

Shortly after my charging had gotten started after my phone call and guest code entry, a Volt driver parked and started charging - he was a registered Member with a credit card on his account.

Then the other obvious answer is they are still working in eliminating glitches in their firmware and central system software and databases.

I get a red, self test error screen periodically on my residential Blink since it updated to 2.0 (and now 2.1). It requires a power down reboot to clear.

91040 said:
I get a red, self test error screen periodically on my residential Blink since it updated to 2.0 (and now 2.1). It requires a power down reboot to clear.
According to the tech who replaced my SD card to get it updated to 2.0 (and then 2.1), this is a common issue with older units which have been upgraded to 2.0. Apparently the ground-fault sensing logic is more sensitive in 2.0+ and the current sensors (CTs) in the older units tended to be placed too close to the junction block causing them to pick up spurious noise which can trigger ground fault false alarms.

A reset will clear the error, but the proper fix is to move the CTs away from the junction block and tie them in place with tie-wraps to hold them in place.

If you're getting this error, call up Blink and have them send out a tech - they should know what to do. They'll either do the above or just replace the unit.

drees said:
91040 said:
According to the tech who replaced my SD card to get it updated to 2.0 (and then 2.1), this is a common issue with older units which have been upgraded to 2.0. Apparently the ground-fault sensing logic is more sensitive in 2.0+ and the current sensors (CTs) in the older units tended to be placed too close to the junction block causing them to pick up spurious noise which can trigger ground fault false alarms.

A reset will clear the error, but the proper fix is to move the CTs away from the junction block and tie them in place with tie-wraps to hold them in place.

If you're getting this error, call up Blink and have them send out a tech - they should know what to do. They'll either do the above or just replace the unit.
I started getting the message, Blink sent a tech out and it has been fine ever since.

Back