Concealing "permanently" fitted Android handset for Leafspy

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strowger

Hi all - and thank you for the wealth of Leaf-related gadgets and apps.

I'm considering leaving a low-end Android handset in the car permanently, to run Leafspy Pro on. I see it's simple enough to make the app run on boot, and the handset shut itself down after the power goes away.

Has anyone else done this, and if so how did you mount the Android device?

I'd like it to be visible, but it doesn't need to be *highly* visible - and shouldn't be obvious when the car is parked.

Was considering under the dashboard, in the centre right under the climate control controls - any better ideas?

All suggestions welcome!

Thanks

powersurge said:
Who needs to have leafspy running all the time?? Isn't this a bit of overkill??
Not if you have a pre '13 Leaf. Prior to '13 the dash on a Leaf lacked the VERY handy SOC% which LeafSpy provides, without LeafSpy or something similar your totally at the mercy of the GOM :eek:

jjeff said:
powersurge said:
Who needs to have leafspy running all the time?? Isn't this a bit of overkill??
Not if you have a pre '13 Leaf. Prior to '13 the dash on a Leaf lacked the VERY handy SOC% which LeafSpy provides, without LeafSpy or something similar your totally at the mercy of the GOM :eek:

The display does have the State of Charge bars (gas gauge), which are more accurate than the miles remaining estimator, even though they don't give the exact percent remaining. If not trying to push the Leaf to its range limit, this is sufficient for most drivers. I believe that was the thinking of Nissan, and they added the SOC option to the display to satisfy those that wanted more detailed output.

tbear2001 said:
I'd be interested in this as well. And any good suggestions on a handset would be helpful.

In the end, I went for a setup like this one: https://mentalnirex.wordpress.com/2017/04/24/nissan-leaf-data-logging/

Back