Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reposting here as didn't spot it:

Hi all

I have a late 2014 Leaf Tekna, an iPhone 8 Plus, LeafSpy Pro version 1.6.28 and the following OBDII Wifi Dongle: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pumpkin-Interface-Wireless-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B011O69946/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517318125&sr=8-1&keywords=elm327+wifi

I have followed the instructions for wifi by manually setting the IP and subnet in loads of different configurations including automatic but can never get LeafSpy to connect. I am a software developer by trade so feel I have totally let myself down as I am usually "the fixer" for other people :D

I have also selected the ODBII connector in the settings and registered it.

Here are some images of the different settings I have tried. I only ever get Retry ELM 11 in yellow in the corner. Am I doing some stupid or is there an issue with my dongle?

leaf1.png

leaf2.png

leaf3.png

leaf4.png

leaf5.png

daveycsharp said:
Reposting here as didn't spot it:

Hi all

I have a late 2014 Leaf Tekna, an iPhone 8 Plus, LeafSpy Pro version 1.6.28 and the following OBDII Wifi Dongle: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pumpkin-Interface-Wireless-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B011O69946/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517318125&sr=8-1&keywords=elm327+wifi

I have followed the instructions for wifi by manually setting the IP and subnet in loads of different configurations including automatic but can never get LeafSpy to connect. I am a software developer by trade so feel I have totally let myself down as I am usually "the fixer" for other people :D

I have also selected the ODBII connector in the settings and registered it.

Here are some images of the different settings I have tried. I only ever get Retry ELM 11 in yellow in the corner. Am I doing some stupid or is there an issue with my dongle?
You need to take an ELM trace (see bottom of help file for how to do it) and send it to me.

From hanging at state ELM 11 it looks like this WiFi adapter does not support the needed commands.

An ELM trace will confirm that.

This is the OBDII adapter I recommend for iOS and Android. They ship worldwide.

http://www.outdoor-apps.com/store1.html

There is a bug in the just released version of LeafSpy Pro 0.41.109 that crashes the app if you try to save an Elevation/Speed graph.

Will fix in next release once I find out why it is crashing.

=======================
One more bug. Don't select BSM only or MTR/INV as your model year on settings or it will also crash the app.

This one is an obvious bug I put in at the last moment with code to support the 2018.

=========================

Version 0.41.110 is being released to fix these two problems.

Turbo3 said:
There is a bug in the just released version of LeafSpy Pro 0.41.109 that crashes the app if you try to save an Elevation/Speed graph.
With 0.41.108 (and 0.41.109), LeafSpy Pro has started to lockup my OBD-II adapter again. It seems to work if I enable "slow transfer mode", but that setting doesn't appear saved. I can generate a trace if you'd like.

jlv said:
Turbo3 said:
With 0.41.108 (and 0.41.109), LeafSpy Pro has started to lockup my OBD-II adapter again. It seems to work if I enable "slow transfer mode", but that setting doesn't appear saved. I can generate a trace if you'd like.
I will need to release an update to fix slow transfer mode not being remembered.

If you just exit the app and restart it is OK. But if you kill the app and restart the setting is lost. Still needs to be fixed. But it explains why I missed the bug in my testing as I probably did not kill the app.

==========================
Ok, found the bug. I commented out the line that reads the value back in from the Setup file. I was commenting out some unused code and missed that fact that that line was in there too and should have been kept. Exit On Trip Save is also commented out.

Version 0.41.111 has been released to fix this problem.

jlv said:
Turbo3 said:
When selecting delayed transfer mode (new name for slow transfer mode) in version 0.41 there is now a slider to vary the delay the Leaf adds between transfers from 10 to 70 msec. This way the Leaf can add just the delay needed without unduly slowing down the transfers.

Ok brought 2018 LEAF home and can't get LEAF Spy to stay connected. Sometimes its connected for 10 mins, sometimes only a few mins. I have flipped several settings around but nothing seems to make it stay connected.

any suggestions? Using Pixel XL 2. I also have Samsung Galaxy 4 I use for LEAF Spy as well. Would that be a better option?

DaveinOlyWA said:
Ok brought 2018 LEAF home and can't get LEAF Spy to stay connected. Sometimes its connected for 10 mins, sometimes only a few mins. I have flipped several settings around but nothing seems to make it stay connected.

any suggestions? Using Pixel XL 2. I also have Samsung Galaxy 4 I use for LEAF Spy as well. Would that be a better option?
LeafSpy is not designed to work with the 2018 protocol. You need LeafSpy Pro.

I can refund LeafSpy so you can upgrade to Pro. Just need the email address you used to purchase it or the order number from the receipt.

I have updated the Google description for LeafSpy to make it clear it is not designed to work with the 2018 Leaf.

Turbo3 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I can refund LeafSpy so you can upgrade to Pro. Just need the email address you used to purchase it or the order number from the receipt.

I have updated the Google description for LeafSpy to make it clear it is not designed to work with the 2018 Leaf.

I have LEAF Spy Pro.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Turbo3 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I have LEAF Spy Pro.
Are you running the latest version 0.41.111?

If you are then take an ELM trace. See bottom of help file for how to do it.

Turbo3 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Turbo3 said:

I have LEAF Spy Pro.
Are you running the latest version 0.41.111?

If you are then take an ELM trace. See bottom of help file for how to do it.

This version was just updated like 2-3 days ago. I will do trace and send. Thanks for quick response!

tl;dr: Trying to automate logging, don't want to drain battery, so powering down OBDII when car shuts off. Doesn't work.

--

My wife is now driving a Leaf and I'd like to log her Leaf's battery health over time. It needs to work without user intervention if I actually want data :roll: . So here's what I've done:

Basic setup:
- Android 6 device (shattered screen, but functional otherwise)
- Functional Elm327, works well, bought cheap before the "ver 2.1" problems
- DropBox sync for logs

First attempt ("proof of concept"):
- Leave the phone in the car, always running Leaf Spy Pro

This was working okay, but it was draining the phone battery quickly (not a dealbreaker, would install charge cable, but needed to charge daily). I was concerned about draining the Leaf's 12V battery, though. It seemed on the low side, which was more concerning. I'm not sure if this is a risk with the constant polling of the bus, but I thought I had a great idea to alleviate the risk...

Second attempt:
- Swap the 'always on' and 'switched on' wires in my OBDII connector so the OBDII device powers off when the car is off
- Still leave LSPro running full time

The phone battery now lasts lots of days (yay!). But I don't get logs. I tried this on my car, where I have "Exit after Trip/Chrg saved" set. When I shut the car off, I get a socket error, and LSPro doesn't shut off. So it's not seeing the sudden disappearance of the OBDII adapter as a session end (speculation).

Is this something that should work? Or is there a better way to set this up?

I'm trying a different approach to logging (OBDII still abruptly powers down with the car, which means shutdown isn't clean, and TripChrgLog isn't updated).

I'm using Automate, an interesting app to control some things on the phone. Here's what I've programmed it to do:

1. Disable Bluetooth
2. Wait until WiFi disconnects (meaning the car has left home; note that this isn't the same is "wait until WiFi isn't connected")
3. Enable Bluetooth
4. Wait a few seconds (I think 7 is the number I arbitrarily chose to let Bluetooth link)
5. Launch Leaf Spy Pro
6. Wait 2 1/2 minutes (for some logging to happen)
7. Go back to 1

My hope was that Leaf Spy would see Bluetooth shutting off (after the 2.5 minutes in step 6) and treat it like the car is shutting down (meaning it would save TripChrgLog and exit). It notices, but switches to the yellow "Waiting to Connect" countdown. Oh well, worth a shot.

I'm hoping this will at least prevent the app from getting into a bad state caused by the sudden loss of power to OBDII, because Bluetooth is only enabled while the OBDII adapter is powered (assuming the trip is longer than around 3 minutes).

I want the TripChrgLog file because I'm tracking things over time, and 1 point per trip is a good resolution. It's interesting to plot odometer, AHr, Hx, and SOH over time. Odo goes up over time, and the others (unfortunately) go down.

Those numbers are all in the other logs, which I think I'll get even if TripChrgLog isn't being updated. I'll just extract and reformat the numbers to mimic TripChrgLog until I figure out something better.

I tried LSP in a 2018 Leaf that a dealer gave me to test for 2 days and it proved very usefull.

But I think there is a bug because it always assumed I had a 60kW.h , and I had to change it manually to a 40kW.h otherwise it couldn’t get data for the battery.

vegastar said:
I tried LSP in a 2018 Leaf that a dealer gave me to test for 2 days and it proved very usefull.

But I think there is a bug because it always assumed I had a 60kW.h , and I had to change it manually to a 40kW.h otherwise it couldn’t get data for the battery.

should have auto detected. I did nothing to my LSP. It simply knew what it was looking at without help.

It detected it was a 2018, but with the wrong battery. Maybe the problem is because mine was an european 2018 Nissan Leaf?

What is the "Requested Torque in Nm"?
I saw that, compared it to Motor Power, and don't see very good correlation.
I'm actually interested in "Full torque at 0 RPM", because I've never seen 80,000 watts below 30MPH or so.
From a dead stop, carrying about 400 lbs of driver and cargo, up a grade...

Code:
Date/Time               Speed   Motor Pwr(w)    Torque Nm      VA
02/28/2018 14:22:05      0          0             0.00            546.13
02/28/2018 14:22:15      0          0             0.00            652.92
02/28/2018 14:22:25     26      27440           254.00         49,900.69
02/28/2018 14:22:36     60      80000           111.50         85,140.51
02/28/2018 14:22:46     70      50920            12.75         30,878.50
02/28/2018 14:22:57     63          0            -3.75         -1,014.93
02/28/2018 14:23:12     61       2200            -1.75          3,212.29

VA is I2*J2, Pack Volts Pack Amps
So, 10 seconds is way to infrequent to check 0-60 runs, but the Android app "OBD Acceleration" doesn't work with the LEAF

Does the motor never draw 80,000 watts below about 30 MPH?
I presume VA would have a better chance of matching Motor Power at a steady state.

ClarD said:
I saw that, compared it to Motor Power, and don't see very good correlation.
I'm actually interested in "Full torque at 0 RPM", because I've never seen 80,000 watts below 30MPH or so.
From a dead stop, carrying about 400 lbs of driver and cargo, up a grade...

Code:
Date/Time               Speed   Motor Pwr(w)    Torque Nm      VA
02/28/2018 14:22:05      0          0             0.00            546.13
02/28/2018 14:22:15      0          0             0.00            652.92
02/28/2018 14:22:25     26      27440           254.00         49,900.69
02/28/2018 14:22:36     60      80000           111.50         85,140.51
02/28/2018 14:22:46     70      50920            12.75         30,878.50
02/28/2018 14:22:57     63          0            -3.75         -1,014.93
02/28/2018 14:23:12     61       2200            -1.75          3,212.29

VA is I2*J2, Pack Volts Pack Amps
So, 10 seconds is way to infrequent to check 0-60 runs, but the Android app "OBD Acceleration" doesn't work with the LEAF

Does the motor never draw 80,000 watts below about 30 MPH?
I presume VA would have a better chance of matching Motor Power at a steady state.
I would assume requested Torque is the torque the VCM is requesting the motor to generate.

The sample rate is far too slow to match motor power and requested torque.

At some point I will modify the code when displaying the new custom screen to only read the values being displayed. This will speed up the sample rate to a few times a second from the 5 to 8 seconds per sample now.

You can actually use TM-Spy to plot single Leaf CAN messages at 100+ frames a second. If the CAN message you want to monitor is on the EV-CAN bus you will need a special cable or modified OBDII Adapter to monitor the EV-CAN bus instead of the CAR-CAN.

Back