iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marmelo said:
Hi,

Today I received my ELM327 OBDII Wifi that I ordered from Amazon (https://www.amazon.es/dp/B00DE8AAX2/ref=pe_3310721_189395781_TE_dp_1). I followed your WIFI help/settings but it does not work. Any solution? Do you think this device is not suitable for the LEAF?

The device shows a red led when connected to the LEAF. When I open the leafSpy app it finds the device on the settings but after "Register Current SSID" procedure, the LeafSpy stays yellow. In the OBDII you can find some "action" in the LED display (red always showing but some Blue/Green lights fast blinking) but that's it...

Thanks!
The best way to see what is going on is to take an ELM trace and send it to me. See the bottom of the help file for how to take an ELM trace.

In the status area in the bottom right corner that is Yellow what does it say? There should be a state number on the right side.

Hi,

In the status area in the bottom right corner that is Yellow what does it say? There should be a state number on the right side.
"Retry ELM 11" (after trying to run options 1 to 10).

E-mail sent.

Thanks for your help and great support!

Marmelo said:
Hi,

"Retry ELM 11" (after trying to run options 1 to 10).

E-mail sent.

Thanks for your help and great support!
Hanging on "Retry ELM 11" typically means the OBDII Adapter is rejecting one of the required ELM commands needed to communicate with the Leaf. Which also means the OBDII Adapter is not fully ELM compatible despite what ELM version number it is reporting. This happens when the manufacturer decides to only support ICE vehicles which only require a limited subset of ELM commands.

Hi, Having updated my Leafspy Pro to v1.7.34 en from the Apple store, I am experiencing the problem also reported by others that the Graphs don’t work after clearing. I also get the message ‘Not Saved’ at the top.
I understand there is a fix available to beta testers but I don’t seem to be able to access it, even as an enlisted beta tester,? The beta tester link for the 0.4.111 release (is that the Android version number range?) keeps taking me to Google but, but since I’m an IOS user, it’s not much use.

Is beta testing only available to non-IOS users?

Anyway, any idea when we might expect an update/ fix to be available on Apple store? The loss of graphing is a bit of a dent in the hilly trips range testing I’ve been trying to do this weekend :|

Thanks

^^^
Beta testing for iOS apps is usually done via TestFlight (https://developer.apple.com/testflight/). IIRC, the developer will need to collect your Apple ID (email address you use for iTunes Store). Docs at http://help.apple.com/itunes-connect/developer/#/devdc42b26b8.

garryk said:
Hi, Having updated my Leafspy Pro to v1.7.34 en from the Apple store, I am experiencing the problem also reported by others that the Graphs don’t work after clearing. I also get the message ‘Not Saved’ at the top.
I understand there is a fix available to beta testers but I don’t seem to be able to access it, even as an enlisted beta tester,? The beta tester link for the 0.4.111 release (is that the Android version number range?) keeps taking me to Google but, but since I’m an IOS user, it’s not much use.

Is beta testing only available to non-IOS users?

Anyway, any idea when we might expect an update/ fix to be available on Apple store? The loss of graphing is a bit of a dent in the hilly trips range testing I’ve been trying to do this weekend :|

Thanks
I am not aware of any problem with the elevation/speed graph. As I recall it auto clears when you start a new drive so I am not sure if I have tested manually clearing. I can try next time I take the Leaf out and also have a look at the clear code.

=====================
Looking at the code I see no reason why clearing the previous graph should disable creating a new graph. Again, manually clearing is not needed if you have either saved the previous graph or loaded a previous graph which would include the default graph that is loaded when the app first starts.

There is a case where a graph will not be created and that is if the speed reported by GPS is always zero. In that case no graph is created.

Well, I've tried everything I can think of

removed running programme, then reopened it,
deleted app and re-installed/ran it from scratch
reloaded a previously saved graph,
tweaking settings like Keep GPS on, and Logging

but the problem still persists (no graph of speed and elevation appearing after clearing the graph,
I notice there is usually a title /file name in the heading of the graph when the program is first installed. but that this disappears after clearing the file, and is replace by the message 'Not Saved'. Is a new file name supposed to be started straight away?or only once you've driven a few km?

Can I revert to an earlier version?

garryk said:
Well, I've tried everything I can think of

removed running programme, then reopened it,
deleted app and re-installed/ran it from scratch
reloaded a previously saved graph,
tweaking settings like Keep GPS on, and Logging

but the problem still persists (no graph of speed and elevation appearing after clearing the graph,
I notice there is usually a title /file name in the heading of the graph when the program is first installed. but that this disappears after clearing the file, and is replace by the message 'Not Saved'. Is a new file name supposed to be started straight away?or only once you've driven a few km?

Can I revert to an earlier version?
When you are driving does the top of the graph show the current speed or is it always 0? Same with elevation.

You only get a file name when you have saved the graph and a file then exists. Until you save it you will see Not Saved because it is not saved yet.

Speed/elevation stay at 0.
Log file is also recording 0s in GPS, even tho GPS is on

Date/Time Lat Long Elv Speed
28/02/18 8:09 0 0
28/02/18 8:12 0 0
28/02/18 8:13 0 0
28/02/18 8:18 0 0

ERRdata.TXT is also reporting a bad ATE0 response. Could that be related?

2018/02/28 8:08:32 04 2 65 Bad ATE0 response: ELM327 v1.5

Thanks for your help

garryk said:
Speed/elevation stay at 0.
Log file is also recording 0s in GPS, even tho GPS is on

Date/Time Lat Long Elv Speed
28/02/18 8:09 0 0
28/02/18 8:12 0 0
28/02/18 8:13 0 0
28/02/18 8:18 0 0

ERRdata.TXT is also reporting a bad ATE0 response. Could that be related?

2018/02/28 8:08:32 04 2 65 Bad ATE0 response: ELM327 v1.5

Thanks for your help
I believe the problem is due to Apple requiring a special warning be given to the user when an app access GPS.

Without that message being given iOS blocks an apps access to GPS which is why you see 0 for the speed which then results in no data being graphed.

This new requirement seems to have been introduced in one of the recent iOS updates. I will need to added one text line to the configuration file in the next release which iOS will then use to create a popup question about allowing the app to access GPS.

I actually already have this message in the configuration file but now they want it twice for some strange reason.

============================

You might be able to go into iOS Settings and scroll down and select LeafSpy and then manually allow LeafSpy access to "Location" "While Using".

Turbo3, you, sir are absolutely correct! I have confirmed that by going into

Settings/Privacy/Location Services/Leafspy on my iPhone 8

and selecting

"Allow Location Access" to be set to "While using the App" (i.e ticked)

we successfully start distance/elevation displaying again (the Elevation and Speed are displayed at the top of the Graphs screen, and the graphing works when you start moving)!

This must have happened when I upgraded IOS to 11.2.6 just before I also updated Leafspy to v1.7.34 (I noticed I had an IOS update waiting to be done, so I did the IOS update first).

Note however, that the problem was also evident on another iPhone 6 that was still at IOS 11.1.2. When I upgraded Leafspy to 1.7.34 on that device, perhaps it defaulted the "Allow Location Access" setting to 'Never'?

Anyway, thanks again for assisting to get this sorted.

PS: Happy to help test new releases, but I guess I would still need to be enabled to access "TestFlight"!?

Cheers

Because of problems with the LELink^2 low power mode on 2018 Leafs I have released a new version (1.7.36) that disables that feature.

There are two parts to the problem. The first part is that the low power mode uses CAN activity to wake it up and only CAN activity. That is just fine for all vehicles but the 2018 Leaf. The 2018 Leaf has no CAN activity so it never wakes up.

The second and more important problem is that the way the LELink^2 low power feature was implemented once it enters low power mode it can only be awaken by CAN activity. This is true even when you unplug and plug again. Instead of powering up and timing out it comes up powered off. In a 2018 this means you can never power the LELink^2 up again without doing a hard reset by shorting some pins. Not something your typical user can do.

So for now it is safer for me to just disable this low power mode

If you have a 2018 Leaf and used the previous versions of LeafSpy that enabled low power mode there should be a way to get the LELink^2 running again. You need to have or have access to another vehicle (not a 2018 Leaf). Plug the LELInk^2 into it. If the power LED does not come on then turn the vehicle on and that should cause CAN activity. With the LELink^2 powered on you can now run version 1.7.36 of LeafSpy and it will connect and disable low power mode. Of course LeafSpy will not actually work (unless you are using a 2011-2017 Leaf) but it should connect to the LELink^2 and reconfigure low power mode off.

I seem to be having a similar issue with our new 2018 Leaf, and a new LE Link 2 just received from Amazon.
Plugged into the Leaf, I briefly got the red LED, but it quickly went to sleep. So I plugged the LE Link into my Nissan Rogue, where the red LED stayed on and the green did brief flashes. Leaf Spy pro did repeated retry to connect.

Moving back to the Leaf gave a brief red flash, and went back to sleep with no connection. IOS version 11.3, Leaf Spy version end .37

Suggestions?

kmartyn said:
I seem to be having a similar issue with our new 2018 Leaf, and a new LE Link 2 just received from Amazon.
Plugged into the Leaf, I briefly got the red LED, but it quickly went to sleep. So I plugged the LE Link into my Nissan Rogue, where the red LED stayed on and the green did brief flashes. Leaf Spy pro did repeated retry to connect.

Moving back to the Leaf gave a brief red flash, and went back to sleep with no connection. IOS version 11.3, Leaf Spy version end .37

Suggestions?
Had you run any previous versions of LeafSpy prior to running 1.7.37 on the LELInk^2?

I now have set up the .csv files to save to Dropbox, and am planning a drive for about 300 KM to log some baseline data for the new 2018 Leaf.

I have some basic Excel skills, but was wondering if anybody has already done some nice templates to use the LeafSpy data?

I have seen that there is a Leaflogger website, but would prefer my own spreadsheet.

Suggestions appreciated.

Hi,

I have a UK Sunderland built Leaf 2 40kWh.

The mileage was set to miles but it was giving a strange figure. I changed the units to kms and the figure is now right, however, in the UK we use miles!

MikeProcter said:
Hi,

I have a UK Sunderland built Leaf 2 40kWh.

The mileage was set to miles but it was giving a strange figure. I changed the units to kms and the figure is now right, however, in the UK we use miles!
Nissan has messed things up for me on the second generation Leaf by not always using km for the odometer when read from the CAN bus. Instead they make it country specific so it can be either km or miles with no way to know.

In the next release you will see an option on the Units panel to handle your case.

Madrilleno said:
I have my LeafSpy connected successfully, I can read from the device. However, instead of showing a graph of cell pair balances, I just get an empty graph. Could you suggest what I might be doing wrong?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/16bb3p0enot6ug5/AACgL5XDpNimoN4Mzhbe8DFIa?dl=0
Are you seeing the 96 Cell pair voltages on screen 1?

Can you take an ELM trace (see bottom of help file for how to do it) and send it to me?

Back