mux
Delivery Date: 13 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 6177

Re: I made a transparent CAN bus bridge with logging, requesting input

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:15 am

jake14mw wrote:For those of us Leaf owners that don't understand a word of any of this, should this be of interest to us?

Not quite yet. We're talking about replacing the on-board charger (OBC, thing that converts mains electricity to the battery voltage, slow-charging the battery off of your home mains or J1772/Type 2 charging points). If this can be generalized, i.e. if we can find a way to retrofit pretty much any charger to the Leaf, this can open up a lot of opportunities. In this case we're just talking about replacing a broken charger with an aftermarket one, but the same procedure could be used to e.g. add three-phase charging to the Leaf or even retrofitting CCS and higher power charging.

jake14mw
Delivery Date: 13 Nov 2017

Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:37 pm

Thanks for the explanation Mux

RkEvHopeful
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 07 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6154

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:34 pm

mux wrote:...

So I expect the OBC to be reasonably easily swappable. The main annoyance is having to refill the coolant loop.

In order to use a non-OEM OBC, you will have to spoof the original OBC. The OBC has to issue a wakeup message on CAN and do some chatting to the VCM to let it enable the relays. I don't know exactly what it says, but it will no doubt be synthesizable with my hardware. If you are seriously interested and willing to share your findings, I can send you a CAN bridge to play with.

I am very interested in pursuing this and will share all info I find.

RkEvHopeful
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 07 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6154

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:43 pm

mux wrote:Not quite yet. We're talking about replacing the on-board charger (OBC, thing that converts mains electricity to the battery voltage, slow-charging the battery off of your home mains or J1772/Type 2 charging points). If this can be generalized, i.e. if we can find a way to retrofit pretty much any charger to the Leaf, this can open up a lot of opportunities. In this case we're just talking about replacing a broken charger with an aftermarket one, but the same procedure could be used to e.g. add three-phase charging to the Leaf or even retrofitting CCS and higher power charging.

That is an excellent summary! The ability to second source expensive parts leads to lower cost options. I would like to replace the 3.3kW OBC with a 5 or 6kW unit. Maybe something larger if I can add cables to increase ampacity to and from the charger.

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:07 am

@mux Any luck on figuring out the 80% charging with your CAN bus bridge? I'm lucky enough to have a 2013 so I have the 80% charge option built-in, but this is likely the most requested feature on the forums for 2014 and newer LEAF owners.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

mux

Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:36 am

alozzy wrote:@mux Any luck on figuring out the 80% charging with your CAN bus bridge? I'm lucky enough to have a 2013 so I have the 80% charge option built-in, but this is likely the most requested feature on the forums for 2014 and newer LEAF owners.

Darnit, I just finished editing a video with feature requests for my startup. Completely forgot to put this on the list. I have not started work on this yet, but I will attempt to implement configurable charge cutoff.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:52 am

Since SOC roughly corresponds to no-load voltage, have you considered doing a cutoff by just the pack voltage while charging? It might not hit the exact percentage desired, but having multiple options would still be great.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

mux

Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:49 am

That's not necessary; I'd need to be on the CAN bus anyway to issue wake/sleep commands to make this work, and the battery already sends GID information on the bus. So it's pretty easy to set a cutoff based on GIDs, kWh, time, whatever you like.

Edit: and obviously, if for whatever reason you'd like to set a cutoff based on no-load voltage, that's possible too. That information is on the bus too.

Marktm
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 09 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 022737

Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:13 pm

mux wrote: if we can find a way to retrofit pretty much any charger to the Leaf, this can open up a lot of opportunities. In this case we're just talking about replacing a broken charger with an aftermarket one, but the same procedure could be used to e.g. add three-phase charging to the Leaf or even retrofitting CCS and higher power charging.

As an example a MPPT functional charge controller for direct DC solar charging? Might be a better "port" than the CHAdeMO? Any possibiities?
2012 Leaf SL; 36,000 miles. Battery replaced November 1st, 2016.

mux

Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:46 pm

An MPPT solar charger... how big a solar panel? Because there's quite a lot of miscellaneous power drain in the car while it's charging. You kind of want the charging power to be quite high to compensate for a few dozen CAN devices waking up, the DC/DC converter working, the VCM and TCU being fully on and the contactors drawing power. Altogether it's something like 60W of drain just to keep the car on while charging.

So that would only work with a decent-sized solar panel in daylight. That being said, sure, literally any voltage-compatible charging device regardless of source should be able to be retrofitted.

Return to “LEAF CANBus”