Turbo3
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191

Re: Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:53 pm

From the screenshot it looks like the Leaf reported a single cell with low voltage which caused the difference to be 742 mv. The app always shows the lowest voltage so all the high voltages go off screen. This is not scaling just setting the offset. When the difference dropped back down to something less than 50 mv the new offset would cause all the data to be on screen. This is not scaling just setting the starting offset.

The new code I added will temporarily change the scaling and would be the first time the app ever changed the user select scale value.

patrick0101
Delivery Date: 18 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1823

Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:58 am

Turbo3, Two more suggestions for your awesome app.

#1 Mileage: The vehicle mileage is not displayed on screen 1 when the phone is in portrait mode. It took me awhile to figure out that this was a portrait/landscape thing. Dash-mounted (landscape) the mileage was there. Then, later, when I went to log the data in a spreadsheet, I was holding the phone (portrait) and it was gone. I (stupidly) assumed the data was only available when the bluetooth link was up. After seeing that was not the case, I wondered if I had changed some setting and disabled this feature... Finally, I figured it out.

It is a minor usability issue, I (most people?) assume the same data is there if the app supports screen rotation. My suggestion is a third line of text in portrait mode.

#2 Feature Request: Multi-window support. The Samsung Galaxy S4 (and I assume others) has a "multi-window" feature. It allows two apps to run at the same time, sharing the screen. It would be cool to have Leaf Battery running with a music app, nav app, or dash cam app.

Currently, multi-window is supported by only a small number of apps. Google's apps (Chrome, YouTube, Gmail...) support it along with facebook and some others, but most apps don't support it. I am not sure what app changes are needed, nor how hard they would be. Given that this is only a "nice to have" feature, I would not expect it to be implemented if it required too much effort.
~Pat
SLe VIN 1823 reserved 4/20/10, delivered 5/18/11
1998 Chevy S10EV (Feb 2007 - May 8th 2011)
4kW Solar PV '07, 12kW in '15
Oregon Electric Vehicle Association
Occasional PlugInCars.com writer
Occasional WhatDrive.us panelist
Cars with Cords blogger

Turbo3
Gold Member

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:53 am

patrick0101 wrote:Turbo3, Two more suggestions for your awesome app.

#1 Mileage: The vehicle mileage is not displayed on screen 1 when the phone is in portrait mode. It took me awhile to figure out that this was a portrait/landscape thing. Dash-mounted (landscape) the mileage was there. Then, later, when I went to log the data in a spreadsheet, I was holding the phone (portrait) and it was gone. I (stupidly) assumed the data was only available when the bluetooth link was up. After seeing that was not the case, I wondered if I had changed some setting and disabled this feature... Finally, I figured it out.

It is a minor usability issue, I (most people?) assume the same data is there if the app supports screen rotation. My suggestion is a third line of text in portrait mode.

#2 Feature Request: Multi-window support. The Samsung Galaxy S4 (and I assume others) has a "multi-window" feature. It allows two apps to run at the same time, sharing the screen. It would be cool to have Leaf Battery running with a music app, nav app, or dash cam app.

Currently, multi-window is supported by only a small number of apps. Google's apps (Chrome, YouTube, Gmail...) support it along with facebook and some others, but most apps don't support it. I am not sure what app changes are needed, nor how hard they would be. Given that this is only a "nice to have" feature, I would not expect it to be implemented if it required too much effort.
#1 Actually it has nothing to do with orientation. The information on the second line is controlled by the available space on the line. Here is a portrait view on a Nexus 7 that shows mileage. That being said, I will think about shorting the graph to make room for a third line when needed.

#2 Multi-window support is possible with just a few lines added to the manifest file. However, I would need a device to test the case when the window size is changed as that seems to be handled differently than an orientation change so needs special code to trigger redrawing the new size screen.

sorphin
Delivery Date: 18 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 403273

Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:50 pm

Turbo3 wrote:However, I would need a device to test the case when the window size is changed as that seems to be handled differently than an orientation change so needs special code to trigger redrawing the new size screen.

Like say someone with a Galaxy S4 that supports multiwindow?

patrick0101
Delivery Date: 18 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1823

Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:35 pm

Turbo3 wrote:#1 ... That being said, I will think about shorting the graph to make room for a third line when needed.
Thanks.
Turbo3 wrote:#2 Multi-window support is possible with just a few lines added to the manifest file. However, I would need a device to test the case when the window size is changed as that seems to be handled differently than an orientation change so needs special code to trigger redrawing the new size screen.
Since I suggested it, I'll test it on my Galaxy S4 and report back.
~Pat
SLe VIN 1823 reserved 4/20/10, delivered 5/18/11
1998 Chevy S10EV (Feb 2007 - May 8th 2011)
4kW Solar PV '07, 12kW in '15
Oregon Electric Vehicle Association
Occasional PlugInCars.com writer
Occasional WhatDrive.us panelist
Cars with Cords blogger

Turbo3
Gold Member

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:30 pm

Here is the updated screen 1 with a third line for odometer reading.

It will only appear if there is not enough room on the second line for the odometer reading. This would depend on the orientation and screen size/scale.

This version also has the multi-window code but I don't have a way to test that yet. When I get it up on my new test site I will send out invitations to those you have expressed an interest in testing this feature (must have Samsung device with multi-window support enabled). At this time that would be patrick0101 and sorphin.

ahagge
Delivery Date: 02 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5175

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Jim,

Now that you've discovered some more useful data on the bus, any chance you might modify your logging code to include them? I'm thinking of...
  • Odometer
  • Number of L3 charges and level 1/2 charges
  • Tire pressures
It would help with some long-term tracking and trending. Also, any chance of renaming the file to .csv rather than .txt?

Lastly, I see that you've found the motor RPM - have you been able to find the vehicle speed? I'm thinking that a "performance dashboard" would be a good next screen to implement. Various (dials) and [digital displays], laid out like a gasser's dashboard:

Code: Select all

(RPM)   (Speed)

(temp)     [Odometer]    (Fuel gauge)
              [Mi / KWh]
Maybe even use the phone's sensors to do some Torque-like things (acceleration, lateral Gs, etc.).
Ocean Blue SL-e
Per LEAF Spy as of 06/26/18: 11 bars, 222 GIDs, 53.4 AHr on new (04/30/15) Lizard battery (1st bar lost 12/22/17)
Orig. battery lost 4th bar at 177 GIDs, 43.19 AHr, 44.74 Hx, 65% SOH after 45 months

DarkStar
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:48 pm

Turbo3 wrote:This version also has the multi-window code but I don't have a way to test that yet. When I get it up on my new test site I will send out invitations to those you have expressed an interest in testing this feature (must have Samsung device with multi-window support enabled). At this time that would be patrick0101 and sorphin.
Well, I just realized my Galaxy S3 now has multi-window support (with the latest T-Mobile update). I'll give it a try too!
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

kevinleaf
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2013

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:00 pm

I have multi window support and I'd like to try it out. What is the latest version of the app now? I tried to do an upgrade on my v0.26n9 and in Dropbox I see "Beta test is over".

Devin
Delivery Date: 16 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 5123

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:20 am

kevinleaf wrote:I have multi window support and I'd like to try it out. What is the latest version of the app now? I tried to do an upgrade on my v0.26n9 and in Dropbox I see "Beta test is over".
Me too! My ELM327 came yesterday and I'd love to try out the app. I have a Galaxy S3 and a Galaxy Note 8.0, both of which support multi-window. I saw the app is going to the Play store, though, any word on when that might be available?
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV

RIP: 2011 Nissan LEAF SL

30,140mi & 54.11 AHr as of 2014FEB27

Return to “LEAF CANBus”