lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Re: LeafDD - Dash Display for Leaf

Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:39 pm

Stanton wrote:I have a question for the LeafDD owners out there who have had the 3G modem upgrade.
Noticed any change in the behavior of the main screen? As in the SOC% and TEMP don't update anymore (without flipping through other screens)?
It is my understanding that the current, voltage, and GID values are "pushed" by the car, but SOC and TEMP (among other things) require the CAN bus to be polled. I have done a "reset" on my LeafDD (unplug/plug), but it doesn't change the behavior; all other screens work as before.

Yes, after the TCU upgrade, I'm having problems with my LeafDD too. I constantly display Ahrs on my 1st screen
and temp. After the upgrade, I now have to scroll thru all screens to have the 1st screen updated, i.e. a real nuisance.
The upgrade may have changed, as inferred in the quote, how the BMS data are obtained.

I'm going to try my LeafSpy and see if it has a problem too.

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:47 am

lorenfb wrote:
Stanton wrote:I have a question for the LeafDD owners out there who have had the 3G modem upgrade.
Noticed any change in the behavior of the main screen? As in the SOC% and TEMP don't update anymore (without flipping through other screens)?
It is my understanding that the current, voltage, and GID values are "pushed" by the car, but SOC and TEMP (among other things) require the CAN bus to be polled. I have done a "reset" on my LeafDD (unplug/plug), but it doesn't change the behavior; all other screens work as before.

Yes, after the TCU upgrade, I'm having problems with my LeafDD too. I constantly display Ahrs on my 1st screen
and temp. After the upgrade, I now have to scroll thru all screens to have the 1st screen updated, i.e. a real nuisance.
The upgrade may have changed, as inferred in the quote, how the BMS data are obtained.

Guess this is a good news/bad news scenario: between your verification and my trip to the dealer yesterday to check/clear any codes, we now know that something has changed. I have been in contact with the original developer (Greg), and it is possible to change/ignore the "charging" bytes that cause the display to dim and not update the first screen, but it will require re-programming/re-flashing the LeafDD (which requires purchase of a programming dongle).
I'm seriously considering doing this...maybe we can PM about it.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

lorenfb

Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:48 am

Stanton wrote:
lorenfb wrote:

Guess this is a good news/bad news scenario: between your verification and my trip to the dealer yesterday to check/clear any codes, we now know that something has changed. I have been in contact with the original developer (Greg), and it is possible to change/ignore the "charging" bytes that cause the display to dim and not update the first screen, but it will require re-programming/re-flashing the LeafDD (which requires purchase of a programming dongle).
I'm seriously considering doing this...maybe we can PM about it.

That's a good plan. I'm willing to buy the dongle and even compensate Greg, as having the Ahrs constantly
updated is important to me. I'll PM you.

lorenfb

Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:53 pm

New info for the LeafDD data display for Ahrs indicates that, on average, the Ahrs is being updated for every
.70 Ahr change. This compares with its having been updated continuously, i.e. for much smaller changes.
Given these data, it's questionable whether the LeafDD requires an update, unless a more problematic
issue arises. I'll continue to evaluate some of the other data, e.g. GIDs.

Stoaty
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:27 pm

lorenfb wrote:New info for the LeafDD data display for Ahrs indicates that, on average, the Ahrs is being updated for every 0.70 Ahr change.

If you are talking about the Capacity on the second screen, it is a whole lot less than that.
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

Stanton
Forum Supporter

Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:26 pm

Stoaty wrote:
lorenfb wrote:New info for the LeafDD data display for Ahrs indicates that, on average, the Ahrs is being updated for every 0.70 Ahr change.

If you are talking about the Capacity on the second screen, it is a whole lot less than that.

To be exact, it now only updates every 5 minutes. Don't know why the new modem has affected LeafDD's "mode", but it has. Sucks, but we are witnessing Murphy's Law at work (no such thing as a simple change)!
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade

lorenfb

Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:12 pm

Stanton wrote:
Stoaty wrote:

To be exact, it now only updates every 5 minutes. Don't know why the new modem has affected LeafDD's "mode", but it has. Sucks, but we are witnessing Murphy's Law at work (no such thing as a simple change)!

Given that my Leaf is typically consuming 25 - 30 amps (10 - 12 kWh of energy) on average while freeway
driving and with a 5 minute Ahr update, my worst case error on actual remaining Ahrs is off by about 2.5 Ahr
(30 X 5/60). Since most of my driving is not freeway driving, my worst case error should be a lot less as indicated
in the previous post. So, even with the effects of the TCU upgrade, the LeafDD is basically as functional as before
for me.

Stanton
Forum Supporter

Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:17 pm

Fellow LeafDD users: the developer (@GregH) has implemented a "fix" (v2.34) that corrects the charging/non-charging behavior "broken" by the 3G TCU/modem update. In addition, he has authorized me to offer the charging dongle/programmer and software to anyone else who wants to perform the update. Since I received the hardware from another forum member, I am willing to "pay it forward" and ship it to the next person...who can then continue the process. Eventually it needs to go back to Greg...who was kind enough to implement the fix.
If interested, please PM me with your email (software) and snail mail (hardware) addresses; since there could be multiple "takers", I will make a (single) post in this thread so everyone knows where it is.
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade

Stanton
Forum Supporter

Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:09 pm

That was quick: we have a winner!
I will send everything to @wwhitney and you can PM him if you want to "get in line".
Remember, eventually the hardware needs to be returned to @GregH
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade

wwhitney
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011

Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:30 pm

Stanton wrote:Fellow LeafDD users: the developer (@GregH) has implemented a "fix" (v2.34) that corrects the charging/non-charging behavior "broken" by the 3G TCU/modem update. In addition, he has authorized me to offer the charging dongle/programmer and software to anyone else who wants to perform the update. Since I received the hardware from another forum member, I am willing to "pay it forward" and ship it to the next person...who can then continue the process. Eventually it needs to go back to Greg...who was kind enough to implement the fix.

I got the programmer and firmware from Stanton and successfully updated my LeafDD to v2.3.4. So if you'd like to get it next, please PM me with your email address (for the firmware) and mailing address (for the programmer). If I don't hear from anyone within a week, I'll go ahead and return the programmer to Greg.

Cheers, Wayne

Return to “LEAF CANBus”