Page 42 of 45

Re: LeafDD - Dash Display for Leaf

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:07 am
by gbarry42
If you get your hands on it, perhaps I can come by and apply it to mine. I'm actually more interested in the process than having any particular need for the update. :geek:

Re: LeafDD - Dash Display for Leaf

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:30 am
by lorenfb
gbarry42 wrote:If you get your hands on it, perhaps I can come by and apply it to mine. I'm actually more interested in the process than having any particular need for the update. :geek:


GregH (developer/producer of LeafDD) has kindly provided owners of LeafDD an update file (hex format) to download
via a Silicon Labs USB adapter and a PC app to the LeafDD. The adapter was purchased specially for the update process
and is to be sent to GregH when it's no longer needed by LeafDD owners for the update process.

Re: LeafDD - Dash Display for Leaf

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:41 pm
by Rusher
I had my firmware updated related to the telematics update and Greg pointed me to this thread. What is the process for getting in line for the USB dongle w/firmware?

Thanks,

Bill

Re: LeafDD - Dash Display for Leaf

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:06 pm
by GregH
Hey gang.. just a quick note on the LeafDD firmware update..

It seems the new Nissan update has removed the passive CAN bit I was reading to determine charge vs drive mode. So now the LeafDD thinks it's in charge mode all the time.

All that means is the display is slightly dimmed and the active CAN data is only updated every 5 minutes (that would be precise Ah and SOC). Stuff like Current, Voltage and Gids are passive so they still update at the same rate.

The reason I slowed down sampling in charge mode was that with some vehicle controllers asleep, it seemed some active CAN requests forced the car to temporarily wake up the sleeping module and a consistent but very faint clicking sound could be heard under the hood or inside the car while charging.

To minimize wear on this component (and assuming people wouldn't need down the second updates while charging) I slowed the sampling rate way down.

Some of the early reports of people with the update claim they cannot hear the faint clicking in charge mode. I would just warn everyone to double check and be sure. It may not be a issue at all, but I wanted everyone to be aware.

Re: LeafDD - Dash Display for Leaf

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:07 am
by gbarry42
Thanks for the explanation, Greg, and by the way, thanks for making the DD--simple, and to the point.

You didn't quite say, but I think the actual change you've made is to put it in driving mode all the time? So after the change, the update rate is always fast? I know that clicking sound well. Anyone who has used LeafSpy with the car turned off or charging should be familiar with that sound. As you say, it's "mostly harmless", but maybe I will choose not to have that. There's a vanishingly small chance that I'll upgrade the modem.

FWIW, I do like watching the SOC go up or down as I'm driving. It's the worst number to use in gauging the battery, but it's the only that displays in real time.

Re: LeafDD - Dash Display for Leaf

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:49 am
by lorenfb
gbarry42 wrote: I know that clicking sound well. Anyone who has used LeafSpy with the car turned off or charging should be familiar with that sound. As you say, it's "mostly harmless", but maybe I will choose not to have that.


When the Leaf is turned off, LeafDD is totally powered down, so no sound should be heard. Yes, the LeafDD is
powered on with the Leaf turned off BUT while charging. That must be what is implied, right? I've never heard
that "clicking" sound while charging. I'll check again, though.

gbarry42 wrote: FWIW, I do like watching the SOC go up or down as I'm driving. It's the worst number to use in gauging the battery, but it's the only that displays in real time.


I didn't do the update, as the slower update rate (5 min) of Ahrs is acceptable, i.e. while driving at 55 MPH the Ahrs
value worst case is only off by 2 Ahrs. Besides my version of LeafDD doesn't have the dimming problem.

Re: LeafDD - Dash Display for Leaf

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:07 pm
by Stanton
For those wondering about the update...

I don't hear any "clicking sound" after the firmware update.
I too like watching the SOC go up or down as I'm driving...and the instantaneous current thing is kind of cool...and my display no longer dims.

Thanks again to @GregH for making the new firmware (v2.3.4) available!

Re: LeafDD - Dash Display for Leaf

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:05 pm
by lorenfb
lorenfb wrote: I've never heard that "clicking" sound while charging. I'll check again, though.


There's no "clicking" sound with my LeafDD without any updates.

Re: LeafDD - Dash Display for Leaf

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:37 pm
by JeremyW
I just updated my LeafDD, I will be bringing the programmer to the leafer breakfast on Saturday February 18th in Santa Ana, so if you're local to SoCal, I can update your LeafDD firmware at the event. After, I'll ship the the unit to Drees, then I believe he will ship it on to Rusher.

Re: LeafDD - Dash Display for Leaf

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:17 am
by DaveEV
JeremyW wrote:I just updated my LeafDD, I will be bringing the programmer to the leafer breakfast on Saturday February 18th in Santa Ana, so if you're local to SoCal, I can update your LeafDD firmware at the event. After, I'll ship the the unit to Drees, then I believe he will ship it on to Rusher.

Sounds good. I'll meet up with gbarry42 to get his LeafDD updated since he's local to me before passing it on, too.