kevinleaf
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2013

Re: ELM327-type OBD Bluetooth devices for Android Apps

Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:28 pm

So no real advantage using the Wifi vs bluetooth?

What is the latest "best ELM327" to buy that has been found to be reliable? I have a long, long one that I accidentally kick out of the socket all the time. It would be nice to have a real small one that is less obtrusive.

tomsax
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 21 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 8847

Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:45 pm

Turbo3 wrote:If you don't filter (or don't filter correctly) messages come in a lot faster than 100 per second.

Thanks, that was a big help. I've now figured out that the Wikipedia page on how OBDII CAN messages work (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs) is completely wrong for the Leaf: CAN ID values aren't ECU identifiers, they are message IDs. By selectively filtering for each CAN ID (ATCM 7FF then ATCF nnn where goes from 001 to 7FF, each followed by ATMA), I've found 49 messages that happen at least twice per second and together total over 1,700 messages per second.

Now the LEAF messages documented at <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An7gtcYL2Oy0dGRaSWl6VTV2eXBQMy1ON2xZSzlMUXc#gid=1> make sense. I can see the odometer value!

Thanks for the help!
Tom Saxton
Sammamish, WA

Turbo3
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191

Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:19 pm

tomsax wrote:
Turbo3 wrote:If you don't filter (or don't filter correctly) messages come in a lot faster than 100 per second.

Thanks, that was a big help. I've now figured out that the Wikipedia page on how OBDII CAN messages work (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs) is completely wrong for the Leaf: CAN ID values aren't ECU identifiers, they are message IDs. By selectively filtering for each CAN ID (ATCM 7FF then ATCF nnn where goes from 001 to 7FF, each followed by ATMA), I've found 49 messages that happen at least twice per second and together total over 1,700 messages per second.

Now the LEAF messages documented at <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An7gtcYL2Oy0dGRaSWl6VTV2eXBQMy1ON2xZSzlMUXc#gid=1> make sense. I can see the odometer value!

Thanks for the help!

If you are just going to filter one message ID it is easier to use ATCRA nnn. That one automatically sets the mask to 0x7FF so you only need to provide the message ID.

Turbo3
Gold Member

Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:27 pm

kevinleaf wrote:So no real advantage using the Wifi vs bluetooth?

No, there is a difference in the limited testing I have done that shows WiFi seems to handle higher message rates better than Bluetooth. But that has more to do with Android Bluetooth stack than the Adapter.

fishhead1227
Delivery Date: 12 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 6422

Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:53 pm

Okay, so I am new to this thread, I am trying to set up my OBD II scanner on Bluetooth on my 2011 Nissan leaf and I am having problems. First, I am using an Amazon Kindle HDX and I have the light version of Leaf Spy downloaded and I am using a Seagate scan OBD scan tool with a 2.1 version ELM 327. I show in my settings that I am connected to Bluetooth, the problem is with the app, it goes looking for EOM then connect to EL M and every once in a while it will say waiting and in one half of a second it will count up to 11 and then say retry ELM 11.

Also in the setting there is a drop-down box that allows you to choose port one through 30 or choose secure, in some of the Amazon reviews and referring to a leaf, some have said it works on port 12. I have gone down the list twice and wasted a lot of time. I was hoping to get some feedback on this thread because it is listed in the user based manual, I have had no such luck and was hoping one of you leave gurus would have an answer and help me out. Pretty please and many thanks.

On a sidenote, for my iPhone and Leafstat app , I have an ELM 327 interface that uses Wi-Fi and that works great with my iPhone but I have no option to use it with the leaf spy app.

Turbo3
Gold Member

Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:14 pm

fishhead1227 wrote:Okay, so I am new to this thread, I am trying to set up my OBD II scanner on Bluetooth on my 2011 Nissan leaf and I am having problems. First, I am using an Amazon Kindle HDX and I have the light version of Leaf Spy downloaded and I am using a Seagate scan OBD scan tool with a 2.1 version ELM 327. I show in my settings that I am connected to Bluetooth, the problem is with the app, it goes looking for EOM then connect to EL M and every once in a while it will say waiting and in one half of a second it will count up to 11 and then say retry ELM 11.

Also in the setting there is a drop-down box that allows you to choose port one through 30 or choose secure, in some of the Amazon reviews and referring to a leaf, some have said it works on port 12. I have gone down the list twice and wasted a lot of time. I was hoping to get some feedback on this thread because it is listed in the user based manual, I have had no such luck and was hoping one of you leave gurus would have an answer and help me out. Pretty please and many thanks.

On a sidenote, for my iPhone and Leafstat app , I have an ELM 327 interface that uses Wi-Fi and that works great with my iPhone but I have no option to use it with the leaf spy app.

If it is counting up to 11 then you are connected to the ELM and are using the correct port number. Is the Leaf turned on?

I will be updating Amazon with the latest version of Leaf Spy Lite that does support Wifi.

Turbo3
Gold Member

Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:37 pm

Here is a screenshot from my Kindle. Port was set to 1 which is what I think you should try first. I will upload this version of Leaf Spy Lite tonight but it will take a while to work through Amazon's release process. The only ports that actually have a chance of working are 1, 16 and secure. So those are the only choices in the new version of Leaf Spy Lite

Update: Just uploaded latest version of Leaf Spy Lite 0.29.19 to Amazon. Will be available for install once Amazon get through with their checks and releases it to the store.

Update 2: Latest version is now available for download from Amazon store.

Agondonter
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 012545

Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:15 pm

kevinleaf wrote:... What is the latest "best ELM327" to buy that has been found to be reliable? I have a long, long one that I accidentally kick out of the socket all the time. It would be nice to have a real small one that is less obtrusive.

Hello Kevin,
I highly recommend Vgate's iCar2 Bluetooth OBDII scanner. It paired with my phone in about 10 seconds time, it turns off automatically after 30 minutes of inactivity, and it has very reliable Bluetooth connection. LEAF Spy Pro reports 100% good connections after one week heavy use (I am scanning every trip, and I drive about 80 km daily 8-) ).

The OBD port is not designed to have constantly plugged-in device in it (its wobbling), but I cut a rectangular opening in the lid--precisely with the dimensions of the iCar2--and now the scanner is very firmly fixed in place. It looks like this:

kevinleaf
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2013

Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:46 am

Well that was a bold move: cutting into your car like that to fit a particular adapter.
Thanks for the advice! I got the ScanTool MX and have been very happy with it. It is quite small so I don't bump it, and hardly ever have to unplug it.
I will look more into the device you mentioned. I'm glad it is working well for you. If you would like to see the data logged from Leaf Spy Pro graphically check out http://www.leaflogger.com/Login.html and request a login.

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:24 am

Agondonter wrote:The OBD port is not designed to have constantly plugged-in device in it (its wobbling) ...
and you also don't want to be plugging/unplugging something from it constantly. I picked up this low-profile right-angle Y splitter based upon a suggestion here or in the wiki; with it, I can have the OBDII adapter tucked away out of side without stress on the port.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

Return to “LEAF CANBus”