="RuneW"... is there a chance that the app is calculating something wrong? ...
Probably not the app, but our LEAFs, IMO.
...For lower battery pack Temperatures, like the 10 degrees C that
you show, there is possibly some reduction in effective capacity,
just because of the lower temperature, or lower temperature
cycles in the car's recent history.
If so, then the nominal capacity might only appear after operating at
Or maybe not.
My capacity reports at app-reported temps from ~59 f to ~86 F are extremely consistent, varying only ~0.20 % since the first capacity report I got at the SF BayLEAFs meeting over a month ago. Most recently:
That being said, I think they are consistently wrong,
in showing an ~12.5% loss of capacity, which has not shown up in my LEAF by either recharge or range capacity tests.
What I have seen that has surprised me
is that there is only a rough correspondence between the (erroneous, IMO) loss of capacity indicated by CarWings in total kWh use from "100%" to ~VLBW (as reported less accurately, in the nav screen m/kWh and dash m/kWh reports) and that reported by the app.
For example, the app showed kWh use of 16.8 for my last 108.7 mile capacity/range test on 5/11, while CarWings reported 16.4 kWh use for the same trip.
But after multiple tests I now believe this is because the app is picking up “gauge error”, quite likely temperature dependent, in real time as I drive.
While I was running errands yesterday, the app showed increasing kWh capacity, gid counts, and negative Wh use, corresponding to increases in battery temperature reports, and the (very unusual, in my experience) increase in charge bars from six to seven.
I took this screenshot shortly after I restarted both the app and my LEAF, which had dropped to six charge bars on the restart:
Over the next ~1.5 miles, and ~ 1 hour, as I ran some errands and while I made three stop/restarts of my LEAF, I watched the charge reports by the app increase, (and at some point the seventh charge bar reappeared !) until reaching this point:
As I used WH as I drove, the negative Wh decreased, but whenever I was not driving, it continued to increase.
This was fascinating to watch, but I had to get home. As I drove further, the Wh use went positive, and
I lost the seventh charge bar for the second time
after another ~6 miles just before I took this shot:
I think these observations may explain a lot about the erratic behavior of the charge bars...