Leaf Spy Lite

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo3

Leaf Supporting Member
Please use this thread to discuss the Leaf Spy Lite app.

Leaf Spy Lite =>https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Lite
Amazon (Kindle)=> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FDHZ5ZK

What was previously called the Leaf Battery App has moved to Google Play (Play Store) and has been split into three apps.

The first is called Leaf Spy Lite and is free. For Leaf owners new to this app this is the place to start. This free version can provide a wealth of information about you Leaf high voltage battery down to the cell pair level.

The functions provided within Leaf Spy Lite are:
* Voltage of each of the 96 cell pairs (highlighted if shunt active)
* Minimum, average, maximum cell pair voltages
* Histogram of cell pair voltages
* Battery Temperature readings (4 sensors for 2011/12 models, 3 for 2013 models)
* Battery AHr rating (this will decease with age and is an indication of remaining capacity)
* VIN
* Odometer
* Number of Quick Charge connections
* Number of L1/L2 Charge connections
* EVSE Max available amps
* EVSE voltage

Once you have Leaf Spy Lite running on your android device with an ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter you can then choose to purchase Leaf Spy or the more advanced Leaf Spy Pro version to display additional information.

Questions & Answers

Q1 - Why is the odometer reading off by one in the app from that displayed by the Leaf?
A1 - The Leaf provides the odometer reading to the app in km units. The app converts these to miles if Imperial units have been selected. The difference from the dash odometer is caused by rounding.

Q2 - I use Hands-Free Bluetooth on my Phone and the ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter does not flash any lights or connect to the Leaf. App status says "Wait 4 ELM 00". Why won't it connect.
A2 - Since you are using Hands-Free your Phone has assigned a different virtual port number to the OBDII adapter. Go to the Leaf Spy's (Lite/Pro) Settings/System panel and step through the Port numbers (default is Port 1), exiting and restarting app after each change until the lights flash on the OBDII adapter. User initially reporting this problem found their OBDII adapter was moved to Port 16. (Two users have now reported Port 16 worked for them so try Port 16 first and see if that works for you and make a post if it does or if another Port worked.)

Next version features and fixes for beta testing (v0.28)

* Auto switching to Port 16 if Port 1 is found to be used by Bluetooth Hands-Free device
* Screen 1 portrait mode QC & L1/L2 counts now have labels
* If connection to Leaf is interrupted for more than 30 seconds app will disable keeping the screen active. When you leave your Leaf the app will no longer try to keep the screen active. After 30 seconds your normal display timeout settings will take affect and turn the screen off after your selected timeout. This is all conditional on having the "Stay Awake" checkbox checked.

I've been trying to get Leaf Spy Lite and my ELM327 device to get along and haven't had any luck yet. I am using the BAFX unit from Amazon and trying to connect a Galaxy S3 and/or Galaxy Note 8.0.

I am able to pair the ELM327 with either the phone or tablet by selecting the OBDII device form my Bluetooth list. It doesn't ask me for a pairing passcode but does seem to pair successfully nonetheless. When I start LSL it shows the OBDII device in the selection list and attempts to connect but it doesn't manage to do so. The ELM327 sits with it's single red LED on during this process (nothing blinking) and on the phone or tablet I sporadically get a message saying "Bluetooth connection lost".

In the process of troubleshooting I unpaired the Leaf's head unit from the phone which didn't help. I also tried using the Torque app which did talk to the ELM327 in that there were many blinking lights on the ELM327 that synced with Torque trying to identify the correct protocol. So the phone is able to talk to the ELM327, just not through LSL.

Any suggestions?

Devin,
What I will need is an ELM trace to see if I can determine what the problem is.

1. Start the app and go to the bottom of the Settings menu (Debug) and check the "Trace ELM" check box, then exit the app. The trace starts on the next app startup.
2. Start up the app and let it run for 20 seconds then exit. The "Trace ELM" flag is automatically turned off. A logging message will flash bottom center while logging is active.
3. Using the email address in the About screen send me the TRC_******.txt file located in the LEAF_BT_CAN folder.

It can also be helpful to let the app turn Bluetooth on. So try turning Bluetooth off then start the app. Answer yes if the app asks to turn on Bluetooth.

Turbo3 said:
Devin,
What I will need is an ELM trace to see if I can determine what the problem is.

1. Start the app and go to the bottom of the Settings menu (Debug) and check the "Trace ELM" check box, then exit the app. The trace starts on the next app startup.
2. Start up the app and let it run for 20 seconds then exit. The "Trace ELM" flag is automatically turned off. A logging message will flash bottom center while logging is active.
3. Using the email address in the About screen send me the TRC_******.txt file located in the LEAF_BT_CAN folder.

It can also be helpful to let the app turn Bluetooth on. So try turning Bluetooth off then start the app. Answer yes if the app asks to turn on Bluetooth.

Cool, I'll get that debug info over to you this morning. I also found an Amazon review having the same problem and directed him to this thread so hopefully you'll have a little extra info. Here's the Amazon review thread.

Thank you very much for all the hard work on this!!

BTW, Shunt order came out as 4812 on a new install on a new device. Was that intended?

Also, can you explain what is actually happening when shunts are ON when not charging?

Thank you!

Turbo3,
I am experiencing the same problems as Devin. I ordered a BAFX ELM327 from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-PIC18F2480-diagnostics-compatible/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=cm_rdp_product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), installed the Leaf Spy Lite app off Google Play (according to Google Play, I was the #2 person to download it). I tried to pair the ELM327 to my Galaxy Nexus Android phone. It indicated it was paired, but never popped up a window to enter the pairing code. I went into Leaf Spy Lite and selected OBDII as the source, and it would not connect or display data, just keep on reporting "Wait ELM" and then "Bluetooth connection lost." Only the single red light was on, not flashing. I tried about a dozen times, tried restarting the car, tried unplugging and replugging the ELM327. Then I tried with a Nexus 10 tablet a few times and my wife's Motorola Cliq 2. Same result every time. I thought it was a defective ELM327 device as your Leaf Battery Application wiki stated others have gotten this particular ELM327 to work. Anyway I have ordered a different model but am interested if it is on the software side.

Turbo3 said:
That BAFX is one large expensive adapter.

I use this one from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-ELM327...320?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460d4ecb10

Is there a number after "Wait ELM"?

For any adapter problem I always need an ELM trace to see what is going on in detail.

Turbo3,

Thanks. I will order that one too since you can confirm it works. The main reason I went with the BAFX is because it had so many positive ratings on Amazon.

I may be misremembering, but I think it said "Wait ELM 4."

I won't be able to do the ELM trace because I packaged the ELM327 for return, but if it doesn't work with the new adapter I ordered I will do a trace.

I bought the OBD adapter. Given that I only have an iPhone, now can anyone recommend a simple inexpensive Android phone that I buy off of Amazon that will reliably work with this App and tool?

The only utility for this phone would be to run this App and nothing else.

thanks

Devin has sent me his ELM trace and what it says is my app is connected to the Hands-Free Bluetooth port on the Phone not the one connected to the virtual serial port going to the OBDII adapter. So when the app tries to reset the OBDII adapter it gets back hands-free status instead. This of course is not going to work.

There is a never before used option in the app to select which Bluetooth port the app uses. This is set to Port 1 by default.

It will take a little work to find out which port the Phone has assigned to the virtual serial port. Do the following:

Start app and go to the Settings/System Panel. On the right side you will see the Port selector current set to "Port 1". Tap it and change it to the next port. Then EXIT the app.

When you start the app again it should use the new port you selected. Go to the Settings panel and verify the new port number.

Cycle through the port number until the lights start to flash on the OBDII adapter.

I saw one post on the web that seemed to say that Port 3 might be the one when Port 1 is used for Hands-Free. If this is always the case I might be able to add code to automatically make this change. I would need to flash a message that the port is being change please restart app.

So the problem has nothing to do with the BAFX adapter. This is confirmed by the fact that no lights flash when the app sends the reset command out what it thinks is the virtual serial port.

Turbo3 said:
Do the following:

Start app and go to the Settings/System Panel. On the right side you will see the Port selector current set to "Port 1". Tap it and change it to the next port. Then EXIT the app.

When you start the app again it should use the new port you selected. Go to the Settings panel and verify the new port number.

Cycle through the port number until the lights start to flash on the OBDII adapter.

I saw one post on the web that seemed to say that Port 3 might be the one when Port 1 is used for Hands-Free. If this is always the case I might be able to add code to automatically make this change. I would need to flash a message that the port is being change please restart app.

So the problem has nothing to do with the BAFX adapter. This is confirmed by the fact that no lights flash when the app sends the reset command out what it thinks is the virtual serial port.

Turbo3,
Thanks. I will open back up the package with the BAFX tonight and try out your suggestion to cycle through different port selections. I might return it anyway even if it works since the one you suggested has a much lower profile. The BAFX is so big that if I leave it connected I will no doubt occasionally kick it and eventually break something.

garylai said:
Turbo3 said:
Do the following:

Turbo3,
Thanks. I will open back up the package with the BAFX tonight and try out your suggestion to cycle through different port selections. I might return it anyway even if it works since the one you suggested has a much lower profile. The BAFX is so big that if I leave it connected I will no doubt occasionally kick it and eventually break something.
If what I think is happening is true even the one I suggested should fail since the problem is what port the Phone assigns when Hands-Free is active.

mkjayakumar said:
I bought the OBD adapter. Given that I only have an iPhone, now can anyone recommend a simple inexpensive Android phone that I buy off of Amazon that will reliably work with this App and tool?

Kyocera Event:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/24357305?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227018239936&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=25411795116&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=50623489356&veh=sem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Currently cheaper at Walmart than off Amazon (though it has been seen on Amazon for as little as $39.99 before today).

mwalsh said:
mkjayakumar said:

Kyocera Event:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/24357305?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227018239936&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=25411795116&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=50623489356&veh=sem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Currently cheaper at Walmart than off Amazon (though it has been seen on Amazon for as little as $39.99 before today).
+1 I use the Kyocera Event for development.

Back