ClarD
Delivery Date: 06 Apr 2016

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:00 pm

In the http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Leaf_Spy_Pro it says
"calibrate the 12 volt battery voltage", but I can't find that. in my LeafSpy Pro v0.39.37
A DMM shows 12.28v while LeafSpy shows 12.88

webfootguy
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2016

Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Slow transfer mode fixed it for this adapter. Thanks for the hint. I can still do a trace without the slow transfer mode if you want.

Turbo3 wrote:
webfootguy wrote:I am on Android 6.0 on a LG G4 on T-Mobile and my Leaf Spy Pro just upgraded from v0.38 to v0.39. Now my adapter which worked fine on previous releases won't work. The adapter I am using is: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJPHEBO.

Any suggestions on how to debug the problem or how to go back to version 38?

What status and colors are you seeing in the bottom right corner status box?

You could also try turning on the slow transfer mode on the Settings/Options panel and see it that helps.

I need an ELM trace to see what is going on. See bottom of the built-in help for how to do it.
2016 SL with Premium Package 3 year lease on 03-25-2016.

Turbo3
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191

Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:36 pm

ClarD wrote:In the http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Leaf_Spy_Pro it says
"calibrate the 12 volt battery voltage", but I can't find that. in my LeafSpy Pro v0.39.37
A DMM shows 12.28v while LeafSpy shows 12.88

That is old documentation. The 12 volts is now read from the Leaf directly.

It is the 12 volts as seen and measured by the VCM ECU.

Turbo3
Gold Member

Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:40 pm

webfootguy wrote:Slow transfer mode fixed it for this adapter. Thanks for the hint. I can still do a trace without the slow transfer mode if you want.

Turbo3 wrote:
webfootguy wrote:I am on Android 6.0 on a LG G4 on T-Mobile and my Leaf Spy Pro just upgraded from v0.38 to v0.39. Now my adapter which worked fine on previous releases won't work. The adapter I am using is: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJPHEBO.

Any suggestions on how to debug the problem or how to go back to version 38?

What status and colors are you seeing in the bottom right corner status box?

You could also try turning on the slow transfer mode on the Settings/Options panel and see it that helps.

I need an ELM trace to see what is going on. See bottom of the built-in help for how to do it.

I would be interested in seeing what is up with the Cyanogenmod mode and exactly why it did not help. It should result in very slow transfers so one of my hang timers might be the problem. An ELM trace would help.

Turbo3
Gold Member

Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:43 pm

ClarD wrote:
Turbo3 wrote:
IIama wrote:

I don't recall enabling the Braking & Motor Monitor, but it was causing my Konnwei KW903 to freeze when I visited that screen.
I disabled that feature, and the KW903 half height seems to be a good unit. It connects and holds connection much better than my VGate ELM 327 full height unit. I never used LeafSpy while driving, because I knocked the full height dongle out of the socket once.

Will this feature be made to work for dongles that currently freeze?

2013 Leaf S, Android 7.0 Samsung Galaxy S7, LeafSpy Pro v0.39.97, Konnwei KW903 from Amazon "Best Compu".

I might have time later this year to do more testing to see if it can be made more stable or I might use a different approach that does not have this problem.

ClarD

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:48 pm

With version v0.39.97 I see the new
Motor Temp
Inverter 2 Temp
Inverter 4 Temp

Motor Temp seems to vary during a drive from 71 to 78, with a rise after stopping to 82,
The two inverter temperatures stay at 40, always.

2013 Leaf S, Android 7.0 Samsung Galaxy S7, LeafSpy Pro v0.39.97, Konnwei KW903 from Amazon "Best Compu".

Turbo3
Gold Member

Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:29 pm

ClarD wrote:With version v0.39.97 I see the new
Motor Temp
Inverter 2 Temp
Inverter 4 Temp

Motor Temp seems to vary during a drive from 71 to 78, with a rise after stopping to 82,
The two inverter temperatures stay at 40, always.

Starting with the 2013 model year Nissan changed some of the response formats. I will need to check if the Inverter temps were changed as 40 with a motor temp in the 71 to 82 sounds wrong.

strowger
Delivery Date: 19 Dec 2016

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:44 am

Hi Turbo3,

I've emailed you this post as well - apologies for the duplication - I'm not sure what's best.

First of all - thank you for the new version 0.39.97. It installed cleanly over the previous and seems to work fine.

I use the CSV format logs and written scripts to parse these and produce graphs and reports. It could be helpful to mention in the changelogs when the CSV format changes.

It looks like the first (comment) line in each log file with the field labels in might still be the same as in the previous version - although possibly this is because I already had a logfile for today generated by the previous version of the app?

It also looks like log lines generated after the upgrade have 3 extra fields at the end - are these new fields for the new motor (x1) and inverter (x2) temperature fields, in that order?

I have a UK-built (so "gen 1.5/2") 2013 Leaf.

In the Leafspy UI I'm seeing a motor temperature number which seems sane (14C when outdoor temp 11C after the car has sat for a few hours), and 0C for both motor temperatures.

In the logs, assuming I've understood the fields correctly as above, I'm seeing 40 recorded for the motor temperatures (which I assume is F, although it is not the same as the 0 which the UI is showing), and 54 (F?) for the inverter temp, which corresponds to 12.2C when the UI is showing 14.

I noticed that elsewhere in Leafspy, for instance where the pack temperatures are logged separately in both F and C, the conversion appears accurate, and the logged values match the UI.

If I floor the accelerator with the parking brake hard on, the car "sits down" showing that considerable torque is being generated, the inverter temperature rises rapidly, but the motor temperatures do not move. The degrees F value in the logs continues to not-quite-match the degrees C value displayed in the UI.

Cheers

Turbo3
Gold Member

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:49 am

strowger wrote:Hi Turbo3,

I've emailed you this post as well - apologies for the duplication - I'm not sure what's best.

First of all - thank you for the new version 0.39.97. It installed cleanly over the previous and seems to work fine.

I use the CSV format logs and written scripts to parse these and produce graphs and reports. It could be helpful to mention in the changelogs when the CSV format changes.

It looks like the first (comment) line in each log file with the field labels in might still be the same as in the previous version - although possibly this is because I already had a logfile for today generated by the previous version of the app?

It also looks like log lines generated after the upgrade have 3 extra fields at the end - are these new fields for the new motor (x1) and inverter (x2) temperature fields, in that order?

I have a UK-built (so "gen 1.5/2") 2013 Leaf.

In the Leafspy UI I'm seeing a motor temperature number which seems sane (14C when outdoor temp 11C after the car has sat for a few hours), and 0C for both motor temperatures.

In the logs, assuming I've understood the fields correctly as above, I'm seeing 40 recorded for the motor temperatures (which I assume is F, although it is not the same as the 0 which the UI is showing), and 54 (F?) for the inverter temp, which corresponds to 12.2C when the UI is showing 14.

I noticed that elsewhere in Leafspy, for instance where the pack temperatures are logged separately in both F and C, the conversion appears accurate, and the logged values match the UI.

If I floor the accelerator with the parking brake hard on, the car "sits down" showing that considerable torque is being generated, the inverter temperature rises rapidly, but the motor temperatures do not move. The degrees F value in the logs continues to not-quite-match the degrees C value displayed in the UI.

Cheers

As described in the built in help the three new fields are in C offset by 40 so you need to subtract 40 to get the real C value. A value of 0 would be -40 C but would also be the value if the app has not read the sensor yet or the format is not as expected. Above someone was getting 0 for both inverter readings with a 2013 Leaf so it is more likely the format was changed starting in that year.

I am returning today from vacation so will try to look at this tomorrow and see if I need to adjust how I read 2013 and newer model year inverter temperatures.

ClarD

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:37 pm

Turbo3 wrote:As described in the built in help

I don't see a search option in the built-in help. Can I save that, or is it viewable some other way?
I sent an email request for a current pdf, just in the past day or two, while you were out.

Return to “LEAF CANBus”