lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:17 pm

Turbo3 wrote:
lorenfb wrote:
Turbo3 wrote:The Consult 3+ uses the standard OBDII connector under the dash. That part has not changed. It is just that the normal communications between ECUs does not show up on that connector of the 2018 I tested. But the Consult 3+ (and therefore LeafSpy) can still communicate with the ECUs. We just can not snoop on ECU to ECU communications.

Understand I am basing all this on a sample of one but it makes sense to me. Nissan is adding emergency braking and Pro-Pilot feature and it makes sense to protect the CAN bus from external interference. The bad batch of Konnwei OBDII adapters with the wrong termination resistor that shorted out the CAN bus shows how this can happen.

Thanks. So maybe at least LeafSpy may be able to read DTCs and reset them? If so, this will be valuable.

Already tested reading and clear DTCs on a 2018. Works just fine.

That's great!

So based on what you observed on the '18 Leaf's OBDII port, it appears that Nissan has reverted to using that port
as typically used by most auto OEMs, i.e. to have limited access to only ECUs necessary for troubleshooting in the field.
All the intra-ECU communications where data flows between ECUs is only accessible by directly connecting,
e.g. via a scope, to each internal CAN. Besides the OBDII ECU shorting issue, the '18 Leaf's bus structures have
become more complex, i.e. you mentioned new Leaf features (kinda autopilot) requiring new ECUs. So now with
the '18, each ECU, e.g. the BMS, must be accessed directly like when using the Consult 3+, and queried for the desired
data, e.g. Ahrs, which might not be available as before and/or require an access code or a logon to Nissan.
Furthermore, Nissan may now feel that too much data, e.g. related to the battery, have been exposed to the public
in the past.

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:14 am

Logs are not uploading to Dropbox. Is there something I can do to diagnosis? No errors or warning messages...
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

DuncanCunningham
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2015

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:36 am

WetEV wrote:Logs are not uploading to Dropbox. Is there something I can do to diagnosis? No errors or warning messages...

what tools are you using to read the logs. Leaflogger? I started to collect and upload to dropbox last week, it was working then, but the leaf logger didn't seem to use the geo data for the map. If i knew how to write code I'd take a look at it but Im just not that smart or care to grind through it to get me to results.
Statler: Wake up you old fool. You slept through the show.
Waldorf: Who's a fool? You watched it.

2015 Leaf S (leased until May 2018, Bought out in Jan 2017)
2012 Leaf SL (purchased May 2015)

WetEV

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:03 am

DuncanCunningham wrote:
WetEV wrote:Logs are not uploading to Dropbox. Is there something I can do to diagnosis? No errors or warning messages...

what tools are you using to read the logs. Leaflogger? I started to collect and upload to dropbox last week, it was working then, but the leaf logger didn't seem to use the geo data for the map. If i knew how to write code I'd take a look at it but Im just not that smart or care to grind through it to get me to results.

I'm looking at the files on Dropbox. I can upload them manually using the Dropbox app on my phone. They are CSV files that you can load into a spreadsheet or read with a program easily.

Leaflogger website has a problem for a long time with maps not always displaying, different topic. Try logging out and logging back in.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2014 Leaf SL Red

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:58 pm

Did you update to the new version with the updated Dropbox API?
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

WetEV

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:46 pm

jlv wrote:

Did you update to the new version with the updated Dropbox API?

I have a rule to only take released apps on my phone. Google Play and my phone both have 0.40.101, updated Aug29, 2017.

Above, it sounds like I need 0.40.102 or later, assuming Dropbox has dropped support for the older API. Is this (likely) the problem?
WetEV
2014 Leaf SL Red

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:47 am

Yes, Dropbox dropped support which is why LSP was updated.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

Turbo3
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:29 pm

I am in the process of updating LeafSpy Pro to work with the 2018 Leaf. The next general release will include the 2018 support and the new Dropbox code to support API 2 now that Dropbox has stopped supporting API 1.

The current test version of LeafSpy Pro supports API 2 but uses a different folder (Turbo3Test) instead of LeafSpy Pro. Here is a link to that test version 0.40.102. After the test any files that were uploaded to the Turbo3Test folder will be uploaded again to LeafSpy Pro at which point you can delete the Turbo3Test folder.

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro

Turbo3
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:17 pm

Test version 0.40.103 has been released. This version supports the new 2018 Leaf with limitations and Dropbox now uses the LeafSpy Pro folder instead of the test one. New high resolution SOH (xx% => xx.xx%) and better BMS only support.

Smillymike
Delivery Date: 27 Sep 2017

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro - Direct Pack reading

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Hello,

I found a tread about reading a used pack without the car.

I have made the whole OBD2 adapter and plug it to my 2014 used pack and not able to read the battery data.

Can someone help me ?

I want to see if the pack is good before opening it to swap cells in my 2011 pack

I have already leafSpy Pro

Thanks

Here the post

bjn wrote:The battery pack arrived to the garage yesterday and I removed the lid. I also bought an ELM 327 OBDII to Bluetooth.

I made a simple cable to connect the ELM 327.
I bought the female OBDII from a junkyard, the guy gave me one which has the ability to reconfigure the pins. I removed all pins and added only four - pin5 (GND), pin16 (12V) and pins 6+14 (CAN). It turned out that the round connector in the Leaf battery has a standard 0.1" spacing, which was neat because I could use simple standard female headers for that end. In the upper left of the round battery connector are two 12V pins. Upper right are two CAN pins. Just below the CAN pins are three GND pins.

The ELM 327 and BMS powered up on first attempt,

and I could connect with the App.

Everything just worked. Thanks for the info in this thread. Thank you for the App, Turbo3.

Looks like my pack is in good condition. It's from a 2013 Leaf with only 6800km.
Next step will be to take the pack apart and connect it 3p. Then I will attempt the modifications to the BMS.

Return to “LEAF CANBus”