DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:41 am

TheMagster wrote:I assume this has been asked before (sorry, I didn't page through all 180 pages of this thread!), but from what I've read elsewhere in this thread/forum, a GID (Gary's identification unit?) is a number that Nissan engineers made up to talk about their batteries. 1 GID roughly equals 80 watt hours.

If this is true, why doesn't Leaf Spy Pro offer a view option on the main screen in which GIDs are converted into watt hours? It seem to me that this would be a more useful metric, since watt hours is a universal unit that applies to all batteries. Also, in Leaf Spy Pro the motor's output is measured in watt hours, so it would allow for a direct comparison between the watt hour output of the motor (and other systems) and the battery's remaining charge (in terms of watt hours).

Obviously the math is quite simple, you just take the number of GIDs, multiply it by 80, and display the result as watt hours. Right?

I understand that over time one would become accustomed to thinking in GIDs, but it just seems silly to me to make up a new unit when watt hours is effectively the same thing. Again, I'm proposing this be an option in addition to displaying GIDs, as one of the various view modes that the user can toggle through.

Thanks Turbo3! I just started using Leaf Spy Pro and I'm loving it so far!

Because LEAF Spy does. Simply tap the the SOC area and it will toggle to GIDs. A better instruction is tapping the upper left area on screen 4. GIDs can be seen here.

FYI; GID values are user settable in the settings menu. The default is 77.5 wh/GID
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

crunchy3d
Delivery Date: 20 Sep 2018

Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:16 am

I am LeafSpy Pro user and have some questions related to calculated kWh and Wh on LeafSpy screen. There are two explanations about the meaning of both values:
[Mar 28, 2014 4:37 am]

Turbo3 wrote:
crabasa wrote:I apologize if this has been answered, but can anyone explain the discrepancy between "kWh remaining" and "Wh used" in Leaf Spy?

For instance, today I recorded some data about my commute and noticed this:

Code: Select all

kWh remaining    Wh used
19.7             0
13.3             5927

That's 6400-ish Wh on the left and 5927 on the right. I've also noticed a similar discrepancy in other Leaf Spy datasets.

I guess what I really want to know is: which number is more accurate in terms of energy usage?

--Carter

The numbers come from two different places.

The kWh remaining is based on Gids read from the Leaf times Wh/Gid set on the Settings/Battery panel. Default is 77.5 Wh/Gid. This is the best estimate of remaining energy. However you can adjust the Wh/Gid number up or down if you feel the number is not correct for you situation.

The Wh used is calculated based on SOC from Leaf and Ahr from Leaf. This gives a rough estimate of energy used. This is an estimate only. If the battery warms up and the Leaf Battery Controller thinks the battery has more available energy it would look like regen is happening. If the the battery gets cooler the Battery Controller might lower the available energy which would look like the motor used more kw. So the kw used number can change without the Leaf moving at all. It can go up or down when you think it should do the opposite (at least for short periods).

The above explanation seems to be slightly contradictory to the following one found on "LeafSpy Pro Custom Screens" thread (July 21, 2018, 10:50 PM):

Turbo3 wrote:
mischl wrote:
- Wh counter: App Start & 1st Connect, D+C. If the value of #36 decreases, the value of #34 does not at the same time what looks a bit unusual.

- #36 and #34 are looking at different parameters from the Leaf and will not precisely track. One is based on Gids (#34) and the other (#36) on SOC and AHr which have a much higher level of precision. #34 being based on Gids is going to change very slowly whereas #36 is going to change every time it is sampled although the change might be so small it does not change a digit being displayed.

So, which value is more accurate concerning the consumed energy by the EV?

I would also like to know where can I find those two values in LeafSpy log file? The only relevant values available are Gids, SOC, AHr, Pack V, Pack A and SOH. There are no values related to kWh and Wh numbers on LeafSpy screen. If there is no chance to add them to the log, is there some formula how to calculate those two values from the variables written in the log? I think that the spent energy is very important data and should be included in the log.
Last edited by crunchy3d on Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:22 am

TheMagster wrote:If this is true, why doesn't Leaf Spy Pro offer a view option on the main screen in which GIDs are converted into watt hours? It seem to me that this would be a more useful metric, since watt hours is a universal unit that applies to all batteries.
Obviously the math is quite simple, you just take the number of GIDs, multiply it by 80, and display the result as watt hours. Right?

I understand that over time one would become accustomed to thinking in GIDs, but it just seems silly to me to make up a new unit when watt hours is effectively the same thing. Again, I'm proposing this be an option in addition to displaying GIDs, as one of the various view modes that the user can toggle through.

Please see my reply at viewtopic.php?p=537453#p537453, esp what Turbo3 stated.

As already stated, the default is 77.5 watt-hours per gid. Sure, you can take 77.5 watt-hours/gid as gopsel but I wouldn't.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

crunchy3d

Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:16 am

@Turbo3, since there was no comment regarding the Log file, I'd like to ask again if there is any chance to add remain kWh and spent Wh (on LeafSpy screens 3 and 4) to LeafSpy Log file? If not, could you just give me/us the equation you were using to calculate those values?
I suppose that the kWh value is calculated directly from GIDs:
kWh value = GIDs * 77.5
However, how the spent energy in Wh value is calculated?

crunchy3d

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:28 am

Turbo3 was last active on Nov 18th 2018. I suppose that the development of LeafSpy is terminated. It's a pity.

virol
Delivery Date: 17 Sep 2018
Leaf Number: 2018

Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:20 am

crunchy3d wrote:Turbo3 was last active on Nov 18th 2018. I suppose that the development of LeafSpy is terminated. It's a pity.

I also wrote a email to Turbo3 soms weeks ago and also no reply anymore, that is not his style…..
Hope all is still ok with him.

regards

crunchy3d

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:29 am

I have just received message from another user of this forum that he received answer from Turbo3. I am relieved! :D
Apparently, he is studying some communication protocols on Leaf 2018. Hope that @Turbo3 will again become more active on the Forum. ;)

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:42 am

well with 2019 coming out and new pack, we need him!!
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

virol

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:21 am

crunchy3d wrote:I have just received message from another user of this forum that he received answer from Turbo3. I am relieved! :D
Apparently, he is studying some communication protocols on Leaf 2018. Hope that @Turbo3 will again become more active on the Forum. ;)

also relieved… hope to read soon from turbo3

virol

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:24 am

virol wrote:
crunchy3d wrote:I have just received message from another user of this forum that he received answer from Turbo3. I am relieved! :D

also relieved… hope to read soon from turbo3

@crunchy3d

Please read my pm to you…… thx

Return to “LEAF CANBus”