Leaf Log Viewer Website for Leaf Spy Users

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinleaf

I have a demo of my Leaf Logger website available. I loaded a few of my recent trips up for testing. See:
http://www.liebwerks.com/LeafLogs/chart_demo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Select a trip in the top left pulldown menu and the graph of SOC, plot of the trip on a map and some trip data will appear, as well as a summary of the overall trip. It is still quite rough and I am not a graphic designer but the idea is here.
The data comes from the BatLog.txt that Leaf Spy saves is uploaded to the system and stored in a database.

Sample screenshot:
LeafLoggerScreenshot1.png

Coming soon:
1. Ability to log in and upload your own data
2. Select whether your data is viewable by just you or by anyone who uses the site
3. Link to a specific trip (for sharing with the community)
4. Add annotations for your trip ("to the grocery store" or "longest range trip ever")
5. Health data

Longer term:
1. Compare multiple trips against each other
2. Additional graphs based on user feedback

Please feel free to offer feedback and suggest features. PM me with your email address if you would like to send me logs to upload and share until I have the login / self-serve upload ability complete.

I will expand this posting to include more detail when able, more along the structure that GaryGID suggested.

Sorry, development, and documentation, have been slow coming. I have a new baby boy born 10/12 and have had my hands full. Updates coming soon!

I am working on account creation screens and additional enhancements, but in the meantime send me a PM if you want access to upload and view logs created by Leaf Spy.

Thanks. Felix Alexander Edward Lieberman
Initials backwards: LEAF
(no, not really but wish I had though of that sooner!)

Things are moving slow but I have made progress. I don't have "Self serve" account creation going yet but I do have login and data file upload working. Please send me a PM with if you want a login to the site to start playing with it. Please include your email address (this will be your login) and let me know if you'd like units displayed in Miles or Kilometers.

Documentation still in the works. Basically it takes the exact log output of the Leaf Spy app. It will take the coordinates as colon separated degrees and minutes or degrees alone.

Helpful Hint: use DropSync in the app store to automatically sync the log files from Leaf Spy to your Dropbox account. Then the latest log files are always available on your computer to upload to the website. In the works: a way to get files directly from Dropbox into the website.

I am working on a feature to allow you to specify if you'd like your data to be strictly private or shared with the community. For now I am defaulting to Private.

Does anyone else want a login?

I added a graph of battery pack temperature in the middle. Any other data from the logs that could be useful to graph?

Thanks for setting me up with an account, Kevin! Really digging it so far. Super easy to use and very useful info. I emailed you with this suggestion but figured I'd post it here too: Would love to see a chart of battery capacity/degradation over time as well.

If you haven't checked out Kevin's site yet, shoot him a PM because it's pretty rad stuff!

Good idea. I plan on adding a "trips" feature to show overall data for all of your individual trips, including health figures.

Latest screenshot of the site:
LeafLoggerScreenshot_12062013.png

Plotting energy usage vs battery temperature along a Google Maps view of your drive.

Please pm me if you'd like a login to try out the system. I'd like to have more testers with different model years and driving habits.

The thing that gets me on Turbo3's logger, it does not store battery voltage/load. WHY??
So we cannot use the numbers for speed over road economy.

Our only way is to count the loss of SOC from one minute to the next. I've made up my own graphs showing some very interesting numbers.

Will have to seriously work on my own logger and dump Turbo3's rather expensive and unfinished looking app.

Making it a second by second recorder to a kml file to use on Google Earth would be stunning and more private.

Well you can lob this feature request to turbo3. He will prioritize it along with the other feature requests he has gotten.

As far as "expensive": I know he has spent hundreds of hours on this app and the research that went into it. I think its $20. Seems like a bargain to me. For an app with such a niche market its a totally fair price. Yes it lacks "polish" in some areas and gets the job done. I like the fact that it is unfinished: that means he is always adding new features ;-)

I am considering a KML output from LeafLogger. It would be pretty easy.

m1aws said:
Will have to seriously work on my own logger and dump Turbo3's rather expensive and unfinished looking app.

I don't know what you mean by expensive but I consider LEAF battery app a bargain. I have Turbo3's WattsLeft meter and Leaf batt app. They provide me with a level of comfort with the data when I drive my LEAF. I know Turbo3, and he has done an admirable job of helping us in the SF Bay Area with understanding the diagnostic tools he has developed.

I am not a programmer or software engineer so if you can build a better app, let's see it. Talk is cheap.

m1aws said:
The thing that gets me on Turbo3's logger, it does not store battery voltage/load. WHY??
Load (motor power/regen) is coming in the next general release at the 'test' level (you will need to enable it to test it). Not sure battery voltage tells you much of anything. Old batteries still charge to the same voltage as new batteries. They just hold less energy. Do people really want to see pack voltage? What for?

Getting motor power (+/-) is a lot harder with an ELM327 since there is no single value available on the CAR-CAN bus. And capturing two (or more) 100/sec messages with an ELM327 is not easy. To be precise, you could read motor load as a request but the update rate would be very slow and I don't think useful. The motor power graph shown by the app will have data points at a 10/sec rate and internally runs faster. There are examples in the Leaf Spy Pro topic.

The first release will not log the load but there would be two options to do it later.

1. I could include it in the current csv file at the end of the line. However, while reading load nothing else can be read so all the other values would stop updating and stay fixed. Of course, Date/Time and GPS would be available since they come from the Phone/device.

2. Have a new format that just includes Date/Time, GPS (location/speed/elevation) and load (+/-).

It should be obvious the app is unfinished since the revision level is only 0.29. A long way from 1.0. I would like to add gauges once I get my high speed CAN monitor code working.

App price is based on what an ELM would cost. But most of that goes to Google (30%) and Taxes (Federal/State) with the remaining going to an every growing assortment of android devices to test the app on. At the start, when the app was free, I kept being asked how can we contribute. There was also the issue distributing app updates. Google Play Store solved both of those. If I was writing an app for just one device/ELM327 it would go much faster. But trying to run on all the different devices/screen sizes/android versions takes a lot of work.

But if you would like to write your own app go for it. Everything you need to know is on this site.

Now for something more on topic.

I have added "Regen" to the end of the log line. So it now ends with Ambient temp in F, State of Health, Regen in Wh.

Anytime the app sees an energy increase in the battery it is subtracted from the Regen variable. Sign will always be negative (since the energy used display on screen 4 is positive when energy comes from the battery).

I have also added the option to specify the Date format with 4 choices.

1- Default (what it is today, defined by the android country setting)
2- M/D/Y
3- D/M/Y
4- Y/M/D

I have just tried Y/M/D and excel has no trouble importing it and displays it as M/D/Y so I guess excel is expecting this type of difference on import.

Is this going to cause you Viewer a problem? (I was on my way to test it myself when I saw m1aws comment.)

Just uploaded my latest csv file with the new format to Viewer Website and everything looked good. I see the date format used was already Y/M/D for all the other files.

One thing I was able to verify was that this new version of the app supports background logging. You can even switch to another app or turn the phone off (tap power button, not shut the phone down) and logging continues. I kind of knew it was working because the ELM327 lights were still flashing but it is nice to see the actual track on the map.

background logging: great news!

Date formats: I recommend sticking with the US MM/DD/YYYY hh:mm:ss format but I know our european friends won't like that. I can eventually add a feature to remember your preferred date format but for now I am using an automatic type function for recognizing date and DD/MM/YYYY will probably screw it up. I'll do more testing as more data comes across.

Back