For LeafSpy: ATT Fusion 2 under $40 shipped

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimSouCal

Just a heads up, in case anybody is looking: you can get an AT&T Fusion™ 2 GoPhone® (Certified Like-New) directly from the AT&T site for under $40 shipped (plus tax). They say certified like new, but mine arrived clearly unused.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/att/fusion-2-black-prepaid-refurb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The following just worked and I have the phone: Locate the phone on the sales page. Add the device to your cart, select a $25 prepaid card for your plan, and then delete the card, and finish check out. The phone will be shipped without any charges other than sales tax...

Do a google shopping search if the link doesn't work for you... HTH.

Apparently you should add a prepaid card instead of an
ongoing plan, as your "plan" is to use the prepaid cards
instead of signing up for a monthly plan?

Then, apparently one can remove the card from the cart?

garygid said:
Apparently you should add a prepaid card instead of an
ongoing plan, as your "plan" is to use the prepaid cards
instead of signing up for a monthly plan?

Then, apparently one can remove the card from the cart?
Yes, that is how it worked... No monthly contract and no obligation. Select the $25 prepay, and then remove it from the cart at checkout and finalize... It still works. Tried it earlier. Ordered the phone a few days ago, and it arrived.

JimSouCal said:
The following just worked and I have the phone: Locate the phone on the sales page. Add the device to your cart, select a $25 prepaid card for your plan, and then delete the card, and finish check out. The phone will be shipped without any charges other than sales tax...
Went through the process and selected a prepaid card, and it deleted the device and said it was "not compatible with the plan chosen" and wanted me to select another device. The only choices for this phone seem to be monthly plans with the cheapest at $25. When I select one of those, I can't delete it, and it says only $42 due now, but it appears they will send an invoice for the monthly fee, probably when you activate it.

I read the fine print and it says "By purchasing such Equipment you agree to activate and use it on GoPhone service." Strictly speaking, if you never activate the phone, you are reneging on this agreement, no? I'm sure AT&T is unlikely to ever come after you and want the phone back, but it just didn't feel right to me and I cancelled the transaction.

TT

ttweed said:
JimSouCal said:
Went through the process and selected a prepaid card, and it deleted the device and said it was "not compatible with the plan chosen" and wanted me to select another device. The only choices for this phone seem to be monthly plans with the cheapest at $25. When I select one of those, I can delete it, and it says only $42 due now, but it appears they will send an invoice for the monthly fee, probably when you activate it.

I read the fine print and it says "By purchasing such Equipment you agree to activate and use it on GoPhone service." Strictly speaking, if you never activate the phone, you are reneging on this agreement, no? I'm sure AT&T is unlikely to ever come after you and want the phone back, but it just didn't feel right to me and I cancelled the transaction.

TT
Haven't received any invoice nor did I have to affirm any agreement. There was a note included with the phone that I could insert my existing AT&T sim card. I'll let anyone know but having purchased several prepaid phones to replace lost ones, I'd say it's in the clear... YMMV.

I'm wondering if they have changed the website since you bought yours. When I add the phone, the cart screen looks like this:
att1_zps454a3dd8.jpg

It won't let you check out until you add a plan. If I add a $25 prepaid card, it comes out as an accessory, not a plan. The cart still requires you to add a plan before checking out:
att2_zps27b5cdf8.jpg

If I click the "Add Plan" button, I am only offered monthly plans, no prepaid cards:
att3_zps5d26c1ca.jpg

I can add the $25 monthly plan and check out, and it only charges the $42.11 for the phone ($38.99 + tax), but shows a future charge due monthly:
att4_zpsd5049537.jpg

The final checkout step has you agree to the "Terms and Conditions" which contains the language I mentioned earlier about agreeing to activate the equipment. I suppose if you don't activate it, you might never receive the monthly invoice, but it's not clear to me.

Either I am missing something, or you are already a customer and the website is treating you differently, or it has changed since you made your purchase. :?:

TT

my 'chat' with the ATT people indicated that a plan is required.

I asked if I could get the phone and use my own ATT SIM - I was told to go into a physical store for that.

given the plan is 'month to month' I see no reason one could get the phone and never activate (or immediately cancel) the plan. This might violate the spirit of the offer, but I can't see how they could hold you to a plan.

That being said, i haven't pulled the trigger on a device yet. My choices are this ATT fusion 2, the sprint event, or a used device I could buy from a coworker. Or spring for a 'better' device. I suppose the real price comparison (android plus BT clone) is vs the Leaf DD ($95, shipped).

Back