OpenXC Project

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo3

Leaf Supporting Member
As if I don't have enough to keep me busy, I have started another little project based on OpenXC.

OpenXC is something Ford Motor Company started to create a common OBDII monitoring tool. One version uses Bluetooth so it is very much like the ELM but where you have much greater control over how the CAN data is handled and sent out.

Just the thing I need to help debug the Leaf Spy listen mode issues with the standard ELMs.

There is a scripting language in JSON used to control the mapping back and forth between CAN and Bluetooth which allows filtering, conversion, speed limiting and more.

The hardware is a little pricey (at least in units of one) at $136 shipped from one source so it might only be for the real hardcore enthusiast (you know who you are).

You can output data in either JSON format or CAN format. I have one unit on order and just got done installing the development environment on my PC. Not read all the documents yet but hoping I can output in ELM type CAN so I can directly feed Leaf Spy with controlled data from the Leaf.

To learn more just Google "OpenXC"

The software and some of the available hardware supports two CAN buses so we could monitor both the Leaf's Car and EV CAN buses. The one I have on order only supports one but I am hoping I can just open it and add another CAN transceiver. They also claim a low power mode. Programming is through a USB port.

Vehicle Interfaces

CrossChasm C5
crosschasm-c5.png

Although the online description states it only supports one CAN I am told by the company that it actually supports two CANs and it gets better.

Here are their words:
"... the OBD pinouts on the device are already mapped exactly to the diagnostic port on the leaf. CAN 1 is 6-14, and CAN2 is 12,13."

I will confirm when I get mine on Wednesday.

Back