MyCarma CanBus reader for multiple EVs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky

I think this looks pretty interesting if it gets produced in quantity. Compatible with multiple EVs (no Rav4EV yet). QR sticker to alert you when plugged-in if another vehicle needs the plug.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/myev-by-mycarma-electric-vehicle-logger-app

Company website: http://mycarma.com/
They do loggers for oil burners; MyEV is in development.

$50 surcharge for Tesla Model S connector, natch. I'm considering for both the LEAF and Model S.

Current EV list from website:
The Compatible Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt
Chevrolet Spark EV
Citroen C-Zero
Echo Automotive Van
Fisker Karma
Ford Transit Connect EV
Ford Focus EV
Ford CMAX Energi
Ford Fusion Energi
Honda Fit EV
Honda Accord PHEV
Mitsubishi i-MiEV
Mitsuoka Like
Modec Delivery Van
Navistar eStar
Nissan LEAF
Opel Ampera
Peugeot iOn
Porsche Panamera e-Hybrid PHEV
Renault Kangoo
Smart fortwo electric drive (3rd generation)
Smith Newton
Tesla Model S
Toyota Prius Plug-in
Is your plug-in vehicle missing from the list? Give us a shout at [email protected] and let us know what vehicle you have.

Kind of pricey for the limited functions it does though (SOC is about the only one of real value IMHO)... Leaf Spy Pro it is not.

sparky said:
I think this looks pretty interesting if it gets produced in quantity. Compatible with multiple EVs (no Rav4EV yet). QR sticker to alert you when plugged-in if another vehicle needs the plug.

Look at Leaf Spy for a good list... MPGe and charging usage seems to be Mycarma's biggest features and, to me, the least important or useful for an EV...
I like that it can handle a number of different EVs but it needs a number of the missing EV features and data displays to truly be of value to an EV owner...

DanCar said:
TomT said:
... Leaf Spy Pro it is not. ...
What are some of the features it would need?

Hey guys, Sunny from MyCarma here.

First off, thanks sparky for starting this thread. I just wanted to touch on a couple things that were brought up:

1) The RAV4EV isn't on the list at the moment, but we're already working on the decodes & will almost surely be included by the time we ship in October.

2) We had a bit of a hiccup, where we forgot to include the Model S early-bird perk when we first launched the campaign, and weren't able to add it afterwards. We just got it sorted out though, and it should be up there now. It's only an additional $10 for the harness, so the Model S early-bird pricing comes in at $129. Here's the link again: http://igg.me/at/electric-vehicle-mycarma/x/7641319" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3.) We've done logging on thousands of ICE and electric vehicles. It is mostly done through our sister company FleetCarma though, where we have a fleet-grade logger but is obviously a bit too pricey for most individuals. If you want to check it out in further detail, this is the link: http://www.fleetcarma.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4.) Tom, the feature list we have up right now (including https://images.indiegogo.com/file_attachments/621260/files/20140602145851-Levels.JPG?1401746331" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is maybe 1/3rd of what the app will end up being. We decided against throwing out all the possible features right off the bat, as we'd really like the backers to help set its direction & determine what is most useful to them. If you have any input on what is most important to you, we'd love to hear it!

If you have any other questions/comments/criticism, let me know!

- Sunny

I have both the Leaf Spy Pro app and also the Lincomatic hardwired meter. (off of a Y cable). The data I use almost daily and consider of prime importance is: SOC, Gids (A leaf-specific raw energy measurement - one Gid is approximately 77.5 WattHours), Current Battery Charge in KWh, Distance To Empty, Power into/out of battery in Kw, and battery temperatures. I use SOH, Battery Capacity, and HX on a less frequent basis but also find them valuable... I don't think logging of historical energy usage is of as much interest to EV owners as it may be to ICE owners... Carwings does it - though not all that well - but I don't believe that that many owners pay any great attention to it...

strochaniak said:
4.) Tom, the feature list we have up right now (including https://images.indiegogo.com/file_attachments/621260/files/20140602145851-Levels.JPG?1401746331" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is maybe 1/3rd of what the app will end up being. We decided against throwing out all the possible features right off the bat, as we'd really like the backers to help set its direction & determine what is most useful to them. If you have any input on what is most important to you, we'd love to hear it!

I backed them as well, and with only 13 days left, I hope others will spot this thread!

The good news is that they aren't some fly-by-night operation, which has been a real problem in the crowdfunding space.

strochaniak said:
Hey guys, Sunny from MyCarma here.

First off, thanks sparky for starting this thread. I just wanted to touch on a couple things that were brought up:

1) The RAV4EV isn't on the list at the moment, but we're already working on the decodes & will almost surely be included by the time we ship in October.

2) We had a bit of a hiccup, where we forgot to include the Model S early-bird perk when we first launched the campaign, and weren't able to add it afterwards. We just got it sorted out though, and it should be up there now. It's only an additional $10 for the harness, so the Model S early-bird pricing comes in at $129. Here's the link again: http://igg.me/at/electric-vehicle-mycarma/x/7641319" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3.) We've done logging on thousands of ICE and electric vehicles. It is mostly done through our sister company FleetCarma though, where we have a fleet-grade logger but is obviously a bit too pricey for most individuals. If you want to check it out in further detail, this is the link: http://www.fleetcarma.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have any other questions/comments/criticism, let me know!

- Sunny

Please read the forum rules for advertising/selling/promoting, etc.

Thanks-

Our LEAF is normally driven by my wife. Requiring her to run LEAFspy (which I own) every time does not pass the WAF test. I want more data. I want something better than Carwings, I also own another EV (2012 RAV4-EV). The logging feature is probably the most interesting to me. I've backed the project and keeping my fingers crossed.

arnold

I just discovered this project yesterday and immediately backed them, this is something I have been wanting for a while (I'm already an active LeafSpy Pro user).

There was a new update today that they will be throwing in local storage OR cellular connectivity for no additional cost for backers. They have a vote going on right now on which is preferred (I'm thinking cellular). For those who share the vehicle or do not always have their Android device on them (my Android device is not my primary phone) I think that is a great value add.

FleetCarma has released lots of really interesting and useful EV data. I hope this is a successful campaign, I look forward to the product!

I contributed as well. The Indigo fund raising goal deadline is fast approaching . . .

windsorsean said:
I just discovered this project yesterday and immediately backed them, this is something I have been wanting for a while (I'm already an active LeafSpy Pro user).

There was a new update today that they will be throwing in local storage OR cellular connectivity for no additional cost for backers. They have a vote going on right now on which is preferred (I'm thinking cellular). For those who share the vehicle or do not always have their Android device on them (my Android device is not my primary phone) I think that is a great value add.

FleetCarma has released lots of really interesting and useful EV data. I hope this is a successful campaign, I look forward to the product!

Thanks for backing us!

dsinned said:
I contributed as well. The Indigo fund raising goal deadline is fast approaching . . .

Thanks for the support as well! We actually just got word from Indiegogo that we're able to extend the campaign by a couple weeks, so while we still have a little ways to go, we have a bit more time to reach our goal now.

I backed this program as well as a 'Viking'. They assure me it can be used in conjunction with LeafSpy. It does have features LeafSpy does not, like social vehicle comparisons, QR code to allow/ask for permission to disconnect. It works with a wide range of vehicles which means it can go with me for future EVs I own.

I backed it to solve a couple of problems:

a) get a better SOC meter for my 2012 RAV4-EV
b) get data from our 2011 LEAF when my wife drives it (she's the primary driver).

Check out the latest update:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/myev-by-mycarma-electric-vehicle-logger-app/x/1039901#activity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for news on new features.

arnold

Getting more detailed SoC data from my RAV4 EV is also what sold me. I don't own a LEAF.

DanCar said:
They reached their funding goal, so I'm hopeful it will become more feature full down the road than Leaf Spy.

Thanks for keeping us up to date :)

I should receive my device in October. Not that long really.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks for all the fantastic support guys, we can't wait to deliver an awesome device!

As DanCar mentioned, we hit our funding goal, so the project is a GO. There's still 4 days left to back us if you're hangin' on the fence :)

Back