Brand New 2015 Leaf with only 56 Ahr!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

achronox

Hi Guys,

I just bought a new 2015 Leaf SV and I'm loving it, but I'm concerned about the fact that Leaf Spy only indicates 56.6 AHr capacity. I know a new battery should be 66 AHr.

I'm in Canada, and he car only has 500km (300mi) on it and is ~1 week old. The first day I got the car, the estimated range was 160km (171 in ECO mode). Now on a full charge in ECO mode it only shows ~138km range. The battery meter shows all 12 bars and charge is 100%. When we first got the car, the average was 5.5 km/kWh and we managed to get it up to 6.6 km/kWh, so we are not driving it hard (always ECO mode actually).

A friend of mine has a 2012 SV with 15000 km and Leaf Spy shows 59Ahr capacity for his.

Do I have a bad battery, or is there something different in a 2015 that Leaf Spy cannot handle?

How does Leaf Spy determine AHr? Does it calculate or is it something read directly from CAN bus that is calculated by Leaf computer?

I plan to take it back to the dealer for a capacity test, but I want to be informed before I go in.

I would appreciate some help/advice!

Thanks,
Andrew

Your best bet is to do a capacity test yourself, but you need a way to measure power fed to your LEAF.

Procedure is to drive the car down to turtle, then measure the energy it takes to charge back to 100%. A new LEAF should pull at least 24 kWh from the wall.

I don't think the dealer has a way to measure capacity of the battery pack, aside from looking at what the LBC says.

Also keep in mind that the Ahr reading on a new LEAF is often very low and will go up after a couple of charge cycles - your LEAF is very likely just fine.

Your efficiency is not all that high. In the middle of winter when it was -20 I was getting 5.5km per kWh. In perfect temps I get around 7.8km per kWh and right now I am getting 7.5km per kWh. I never drive in ECO and don't have a very light foot around the city. The killer though will be highway driving and going faster then 110km/h. Even better is to keep it at 100km/h. If you get your efficiency up you could add another 20km onto range easily. Range wise on a new battery you seem about right based on your efficiency even though the GOM is not all that accurate. I am easily able to do 150km in the summer on my newish battery and that will leave about 10 percent charge left.

Back