Raspberry Pi

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lion

So is anyone using the Raspberry Pi to capture CAN data, and display it? Would it be fast enough to capture all the data needed to show a nice live dashboard via a small screen?

What OBDII interface are you using?

We are using the RasPi B+ with 1 to 4 AVR-CAN boards, and a fast 4-port
Rs232-to-USB adapter. See more at http://pi.mboxes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We have a 2-channel Black Box type logger working and we have a WiFi
real-time data monitor working with selected data.

What car and which of its CAN ports are you interested in?
Our group has experience with 4 CAN buses on the LEAF,
2 on the Rav4EV, 2 on Tesla S, and others.

For just looking at known data from the LEAF in real time,
the Leaf Spy Pro is hard to beat.
Cheers, gary

I currently have the LeafDD installed, but I also backed the myEV logger via KickStarter. So I started wondering if the Raspberry Pi (or Arduino) could act as a proxy, so I could drive both displays simultaneously.

I also would like to be able to read some of the CAN messages for use with a small text display (via the SPI interface or something similar), and eventually, a secondary larger display with nicer graphics via composite/HDMI, while using some of the Pi's I/O capability to automate some non-critical accessories based on certain CAN messages.

Looks like you have made some real progress, so I got some reading to do, thanks for the links!

Back