Turbo3
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191

Re: iOS Version of Leaf Spy development discussion

Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:24 pm

astrorob wrote:dumb question that i could not find an answer for by searching:

can Leaf Spy talk to the bluetooth version of WattsUp instead of using one of these bluetooth dongles?

thanks,

rob

WattsUp does not connect to the Leaf OBDII port so I don't understand the question. It can not replace the function of a Bluetooth OBDII adapter. This is also the iOS development support thread and I don't think the WattsUp can even be linked to an iOS device.

What are you using the WattsUp for?

The only function I can see using the WattsUp for is to monitor the charge power when charging from 120 volts.

astrorob
Delivery Date: 06 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3307

Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:52 pm

Turbo3 wrote:

can Leaf Spy talk to the bluetooth version of WattsUp instead of using one of these bluetooth dongles?

thanks,

rob

WattsUp does not connect to the Leaf OBDII port so I don't understand the question. It can not replace the function of a Bluetooth OBDII adapter. This is also the iOS development support thread and I don't think the WattsUp can even be linked to an iOS device.

The only function I can see using the WattsUp for is to monitor the charge power when charging from 120 volts.

I'm sorry - i really fat-fingered that. i am talking about your WattsLeft box with bluetooth. although now that i think about it, i suspect it can't talk to iOS because it does not have the stupid MFI i2c chip with the certificate, right?

rob

Turbo3
Gold Member

Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:14 pm

astrorob wrote:
Turbo3 wrote:

thanks,

rob

I'm sorry - i really fat-fingered that. i am talking about your WattsLeft box with bluetooth. although now that i think about it, i suspect it can't talk to iOS because it does not have the stupid MFI i2c chip with the certificate, right?

rob

Ok, that makes more sense. As it turns out I have just ordered a Bluetooth 4.0 LE serial board that might be a replacement for the 2.0 that came with WattsLeft. I will be testing that out when it arrives and see if it can be linked to an iOS device.

But it would not be a replacement for an OBDII adapter but probably an addition as the data from WattsLeft is from the EV-CAN and at a much higher data rate than any OBDII adapter can send.

I will probably start another thread if I am able to link WattsLeft to LeafSpy running on iOS.

adriaanm

Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:08 pm

I suggest a switch for the communication mechanism with the ODB dongle: BT/Wifi/Auto. It seems like most users will buy one kind of dongle and stick to that, so it's kind of useless to have it report on wifi info, if I know I'm always going to be using my LELink. Retrying could likely also be more transparent, use different strategies when you know what kind of link you're looking for.

Thanks for the great app!

astrorob
Delivery Date: 06 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3307

Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:13 pm

Turbo3 wrote:Ok, that makes more sense. As it turns out I have just ordered a Bluetooth 4.0 LE serial board that might be a replacement for the 2.0 that came with WattsLeft. I will be testing that out when it arrives and see if it can be linked to an iOS device.

But it would not be a replacement for an OBDII adapter but probably an addition as the data from WattsLeft is from the EV-CAN and at a much higher data rate than any OBDII adapter can send.

I will probably start another thread if I am able to link WattsLeft to LeafSpy running on iOS.

OK thanks, keep us posted :)

rob

Turbo3
Gold Member

Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:14 pm

adriaanm wrote:I suggest a switch for the communication mechanism with the ODB dongle: BT/Wifi/Auto. It seems like most users will buy one kind of dongle and stick to that, so it's kind of useless to have it report on wifi info, if I know I'm always going to be using my LELink. Retrying could likely also be more transparent, use different strategies when you know what kind of link you're looking for.

Thanks for the great app!

Future release will not try WiFi unless you have registered a SSID. For those who switch from WiFi to Bluetooth 4.0 LE you will be able to do a long click on the registered SSID in Settings to clear it.

Turbo3
Gold Member

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:11 pm

Just got a new test version working with PLX's Kiwi 3 which is a Bluetooth 4.0 LE OBDII adapter. Here are some screenshots. Note the OBDII signature bottom center just above the date.

CupertinoDon
Delivery Date: 16 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 411030

Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:07 pm

Will the iOS version of Leaf Spy be able to provide data to satisfy the battery warrant requiremen of an annual EV Battery Usage Report?

Turbo3
Gold Member

Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:59 pm

CupertinoDon wrote:Will the iOS version of Leaf Spy be able to provide data to satisfy the battery warrant requiremen of an annual EV Battery Usage Report?

No.

murraychalmers
Delivery Date: 18 Mar 2014
Leaf Number: 334038

Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:40 am

My Leaf Spy pro IOS version seems to no longer work, what is the deal?

Return to “LEAF CANBus”