Turbo3
Gold Member
Posts: 1985
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:06 pm

happyfunball wrote:Hi,

I have LeafSpy pro working, with both dropbox and the server REST option enabled. When the app is running, my server (PHP page) is getting the info in the url and I can see the SOC and SOH etc. Great stuff.

Unfortunately, when the app is running in the background on my phone, it stops working. I have location services enabled (selected Always) and have the GPS option and 'always keep gps active' enabled in the LeafSpy settings,.

I'm not sure what else I need to do to enable LeafSPy to work and post to my server page in the background? Or do I need to manually switch to the app first every time I start the car?

The server code is currently running in the foreground area so stops when LeafSpy is not displayed.

I will be looking at moving that code into the background area that communicates with the Leaf.

brucehe
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:35 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Oct 2018

Re: iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:32 pm

Turbo3 wrote:
brucehe wrote:I have a OBDII wifi device that will not talk to the Leaf Spy app on my Iphone 4s (IOS 9.3.5).
I followed the help instructions, The phone finds the wifi connection . I changed the settings, static IP and addresses as listed. I then registered the ssid in the app but the app does not connect to the vehicle.

My neighbor has an android phone and it seems to be able to connect. Let me know what to do next.

Thanks,

Bruce

There are three stages to connecting as indicated by the color of the status box in the bottom right corner. It also includes a step number.

When you say it does not connect what is the color of the status box and what state number(s) get displayed?

Is your neighbor using your OBDII device or just one by the same manufacturer?

You can also take an ELM trace and send it to me which will give me some information about the problem. See bottom of the Help for how to take and ELM trace.d


It seems to work!! Yeah, just unplugged the adapter and the app connects. Now however I need to understand what I am looking at.

Shows 72% SOC the dash display shows 11 bars however the battery pack info on Leaf Spy says 12.1 KWH and 156 GIDS. I guess this pack is not in the condition i had hoped shown by the bar graph on the dashboard.

It is a 2013 with 38K miles. Does that mean i have 77% of the original battery capacity?

156*1/(72.1/100)/281= 77.6%

Thanks, Bruce

JonathanT
Gold Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 2:54 pm
Delivery Date: 24 Oct 2018
Location: Central NJ

Re: iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:41 pm

Does the Leaf Spy auto-off function work with the recommended LE link 2 in a 2019 Leaf? I had no problem connecting and the program works fine, but the red LED never goes off. I contacted the seller and apparently it draws 30 mA under those conditions, so it would take a while to drain the battery, but it would be better to shut it down. I can turn it off with Engine.link, but then to get it on again I have to unplug it and short 2 of the pins, which is inconvenient.
2013 SV, then 2019 SL powered by 9.9 kW solar PV array in NJ

Turbo3
Gold Member
Posts: 1985
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:31 pm

JonathanT wrote:Does the Leaf Spy auto-off function work with the recommended LE link 2 in a 2019 Leaf? I had no problem connecting and the program works fine, but the red LED never goes off. I contacted the seller and apparently it draws 30 mA under those conditions, so it would take a while to drain the battery, but it would be better to shut it down. I can turn it off with Engine.link, but then to get it on again I have to unplug it and short 2 of the pins, which is inconvenient.

The LELink 2 does not support zero power mode starting with the 2018 Leaf.

If zero power mode was enabled on a 2019 Leaf the LELink2 would never wake up again after going into zero power mode.

For this reason LeafSpy, which had defaulted to enabling LELInk2 zero power mode, has now disabled that function.

Turbo3
Gold Member
Posts: 1985
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:35 pm

brucehe wrote:
Turbo3 wrote:
brucehe wrote:I have a OBDII wifi device that will not talk to the Leaf Spy app on my Iphone 4s (IOS 9.3.5).
I followed the help instructions, The phone finds the wifi connection . I changed the settings, static IP and addresses as listed. I then registered the ssid in the app but the app does not connect to the vehicle.

My neighbor has an android phone and it seems to be able to connect. Let me know what to do next.

Thanks,

Bruce

There are three stages to connecting as indicated by the color of the status box in the bottom right corner. It also includes a step number.

When you say it does not connect what is the color of the status box and what state number(s) get displayed?

Is your neighbor using your OBDII device or just one by the same manufacturer?

You can also take an ELM trace and send it to me which will give me some information about the problem. See bottom of the Help for how to take and ELM trace.d


It seems to work!! Yeah, just unplugged the adapter and the app connects. Now however I need to understand what I am looking at.

Shows 72% SOC the dash display shows 11 bars however the battery pack info on Leaf Spy says 12.1 KWH and 156 GIDS. I guess this pack is not in the condition i had hoped shown by the bar graph on the dashboard.

It is a 2013 with 38K miles. Does that mean i have 77% of the original battery capacity?

156*1/(72.1/100)/281= 77.6%

Thanks, Bruce

SOC has nothing to do with the health of the battery. SOC is just how full the battery is. A new battery with an SOC of 72% holds much more energy than on old battery at an SOC of 72%.

Perhaps you mean SOH which is the State of Health. What is your SOH value?

JonathanT
Gold Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 2:54 pm
Delivery Date: 24 Oct 2018
Location: Central NJ

Re: iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:00 pm

Turbo3 wrote:
JonathanT wrote:Does the Leaf Spy auto-off function work with the recommended LE link 2 in a 2019 Leaf? I had no problem connecting and the program works fine, but the red LED never goes off. I contacted the seller and apparently it draws 30 mA under those conditions, so it would take a while to drain the battery, but it would be better to shut it down. I can turn it off with Engine.link, but then to get it on again I have to unplug it and short 2 of the pins, which is inconvenient.

The LELink 2 does not support zero power mode starting with the 2018 Leaf.

If zero power mode was enabled on a 2019 Leaf the LELink2 would never wake up again after going into zero power mode.

For this reason LeafSpy, which had defaulted to enabling LELInk2 zero power mode, has now disabled that function.


Thanks, Turbo3. I'll get an extension cable and unplug the LElink 2 when I need to.

I find Leaf Spy even more useful on Leaf 2.0 because unlike with Leaf 1.0 the readings are very stable day-to-day, with a minuscule decline most days. They must have done something with the BMS to achieve this.
2013 SV, then 2019 SL powered by 9.9 kW solar PV array in NJ

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9776
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:28 pm

EDIT: Damn - wrong topic. Sorry! I have the android version.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “LEAF CANBus”