Marktm
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 09 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 022737

Re: iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:34 am

Turbo3 wrote:
Marktm wrote:
Turbo3 wrote:I have ordered one for testing. The adapter must support the ELM327 AT command set including setting the header response information (AT SH, AT FCSH, AT FCSD).

I have one that looks like this one from Xtool and it does not support the AT command set so can not be used with the Leaf.

Thanks - let us know your results. Asking for such (AT commands) information from the (Chinese) suppliers is usually at best very confusing! :cry:

I just received this OBDII adapter and did a quick test. This adapter does not seem to support all the needed commands. So it is not suitable for the Leaf or LeafSpy use. When I have more time I will look to see exactly which command it is rejecting.

Turbo3;
I went ahead and purchased the LELink dongle and LeafSpy Pro to use with my iphone 5s. After a few days, it appears LELink has lost it's "link". No update - the bottom right is yellow and states "config elm 00" - no cycling of codes and no update of data. Is there a "reset" that can be sent? I tried reconnecting the LELink physically with no change. I also re-installed LeafSpy to no avail. Anything to try except send it back?

I do have an app called LightBlue that can send ascii codes (ATXXX) directly to the dongle?
2012 Leaf SL; 34,000 miles. 12 bars - Battery replaced November 1st, 2016.
4000 watts Grid-tied solar. 3000 watts (level II) off-grid solar Leaf charging capable.

Marktm
Gold Member

Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:06 am

Marktm wrote:I went ahead and purchased the LELink dongle and LeafSpy Pro to use with my iphone 5s. After a few days, it appears LELink has lost it's "link". No update - the bottom right is yellow and states "config elm 00" - no cycling of codes and no update of data. Is there a "reset" that can be sent? I tried reconnecting the LELink physically with no change. I also re-installed LeafSpy to no avail. Anything to try except send it back?

I do have an app called LightBlue that can send ascii codes (ATXXX) directly to the dongle?

To follow up - Turbo3 confirmed that the LELink I received had stopped processing the commands - even though the module would connect. I have returned it and ordered a new one. Appears these dongles do work, but not consistently - may have to try several before you get a good one.

LightBlue app does communicate with the dongle and can be used to test certain commands if needed.
4000 watts Grid-tied solar. 3000 watts (level II) off-grid solar Leaf charging capable.

apzelic
Delivery Date: 30 May 2016
Leaf Number: 306282

2016 Nissan Leaf supported in LeafSpy?

Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:46 am

Does LeafSpy support the 2016 Nissan Leaf? It is simply unclear to me from looking at the app information that it does.

Finally, there is a bit of ambiguity regarding the correct or preferred OBD2 a Bluetooth or WiFi? The LeafSpy support page says that it MUST be Bluetooth but the LeafSpy app page says (I think) that either version is fine. May I ask for a specific recommendation or two?

Also, if relevant, I have an iPhone6 that I'd like to use for LeafSpy (and also an iPad). I plan on using the iPhone 6 with LeafSpy.

Thank you.

bluepassion
Delivery Date: 18 Jun 2016

Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:06 am

This is the one i use with my iphone 5c
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 76208.html

Marktm
Gold Member

Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:08 pm

Received my second try at the LELink bluetooth module. It's working fine for two days so far - a day longer than the last one! The "low energy" bluetooth is the best way to go - you can leave it hooked up all the time (if you use the car regularly), it automatically starts and logs data, and the LELink is small enough to leave it in place without encroaching on leg room.

apzelic
Delivery Date: 30 May 2016
Leaf Number: 306282

Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:40 pm

Sure would like an answer to two questions regarding LeafSpy Pro:

1. Does LeafSpy work with the 2016 Nissan Leaf with a 30 kw-hr battery? I know it works with earlier Leaf models with the 24 kw-hr battery but I can't determine from any of the support or comment pages if LeafSpy is programmed to take into account the newer, larger batter.

2. Which -- exactly, please -- OBD2 devices will work with LeafSpy Pro (assuming I'll be using an iPhone 6). Please clarify if EITHER a Bluetooth OR a WiFe OBD2 device is acceptable. It would be nice to have some specific recommendations as to which ones will work reliably (with maybe a link to the eBay or Amazon site where the OBD2 can be ordered).

Thank you.

Turbo3
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191

Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:52 pm

apzelic wrote:Sure would like an answer to two questions regarding LeafSpy Pro:

1. Does LeafSpy work with the 2016 Nissan Leaf with a 30 kw-hr battery? I know it works with earlier Leaf models with the 24 kw-hr battery but I can't determine from any of the support or comment pages if LeafSpy is programmed to take into account the newer, larger batter.

2. Which -- exactly, please -- OBD2 devices will work with LeafSpy Pro (assuming I'll be using an iPhone 6). Please clarify if EITHER a Bluetooth OR a WiFe OBD2 device is acceptable. It would be nice to have some specific recommendations as to which ones will work reliably (with maybe a link to the eBay or Amazon site where the OBD2 can be ordered).

Thank you.

1) Yes, LeafSpy Pro works with the 30 kWh battery and the 2016 Leaf.

2) For iOS (iPhone) the recommended OBDII adapter is the Bluetooth 4.x LE "LELink" available from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/LELink-Bluetooth-Energy-OBD-II-Diagnostic/dp/B00QJRYMFC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477464728&sr=8-1&keywords=LELink

Marktm
Gold Member

Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:07 am

apzelic;

Be aware that the LELink module has been inconsistent in quality and may have to be returned. So far, the second module is working fine - but only a week or so into it!

Buy from Amazon - they make returns really easy!!

Turbo3
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191

Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:36 am

Marktm wrote:apzelic;

Be aware that the LELink module has been inconsistent in quality and may have to be returned. So far, the second module is working fine - but only a week or so into it!

Buy from Amazon - they make returns really easy!!

The Kiwi 3 Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapter by PLX also works but is more expensive.

The LELink and Kiwi 3 are the only Bluetooth 4.x LE adapters that work with both iOS and Android in Bluetooth 4.x LE mode. For Android these are the only two that work (in BT LE mode). The latest Android test release of LeafSpy Pro now supports Bluetooth 4.x LE but only with these two adapters.

Even with the failure rate of the LELink that has been reported, if you buy from Amazon, it is the best one. Perhaps if enough people buy from Amazon work will get back to the manufacturer to do a better job of testing. I would think Amazon keeps track for returns and tries to reduce them.

I bought two from Amazon at different times and both are still working. So I was lucky .

Rwm
Delivery Date: 20 Oct 2016

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:29 am

Turbo3 wrote:
bluepassion wrote:i need some advice, so ive downloaded the app on my iphone but it wont pick up the Konnwei OBD any suggestions where im going wrong :?:

iOS only supports Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapters. The Konwei will not work. I recommend the LELink from Amazon.

For a Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapter to be detected by LeafSpy its ID must be "known".

The current "known" devices are:
OBDBLE (LELink)
Viecar
IOS-Vlink
Kiwi
IOS-HHOBD
Carista

Ones that don't work are: (don't support the necessary commands to communicate with a Leaf)
dnt OBD2
Autophix
ios Diagbox

I haven't been able to get Carista to work with my iPhone and leaf spy pro. At the US dealership, they were able to download leaf spy lite and it paired with my Carista module, however I can't download leaf spy lite from Canada apparently. And would prefer to make use of the leaf spy pro since I bought it!

Return to “LEAF CANBus”