Problem using Leaf Spy

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boba

I've spent a lot of time looking up information and using it to set up Leaf Spy with no success.
It is at the point now of showing all three of the (Lite) pages but two have no information and
the cell voltage page looks good but on inspection all voltages but 2 are the same at 4 volts.
Soc = 0.0. I'd very much appreciate it if someone would look at the following information and
make suggestions of how to get it to work.

Background:

Scanner = BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool from Amazon.
2015 Leaf (S)
Nexis7 Tablet
Password set to 1234 (tried 0000)
Port set to 1 (tried 16)

Procedure:

1. Car on with scan tool plugged in.
2. Nexis7 on and set to settings section
Bluetooth on --> "Paired OBDII"/"Available devices OBDII"/"Nexis7 is visible to nearby devices while
bluetooth setting is open."
3. Leaf Spy on. Touch Settings. Select OBDII and choose WIFI then network BA5DA2. Choose 1234 PW
The lower right yellow rectangle flashes on WIFI NC and then settles on CNNT2 SSID but never
turns green or has the word "connected".
4. Tapping and or swiping the screen shows all 3 Lite screens but no real data.

You seem to be using a Bluetooth OBDII adapter so I don't understand your reference to WiFi in the steps you listed. Did you actually buy a WiFi OBDII adapter not the one you linked to? I will assume it is Bluetooth as that is what the link shows.

You need to pair the BAFX Bluetooth Adapter with the Nexus 7 just like you would any other Bluetooth device you want the Nexus to have access to. It is not clear in your steps you actually did the pairing step (password is normally "1234"). This should be done before you start LeafSpy.

If on the Nexus Bluetooth settings page the BAFX shows up under "Paired devices" then you are done with that step. The actual paired name for an OBDII device is up to the manufacturer but typically has "OBD" in it.

Once you have the OBDII adapter paired with the Nexus you can start up LeafSpy. Go to "Select OBDII" then on the Device List select "Bluetooth Paired Devices". On the "Choose Device" panel select the OBDII device you previously paired to. You will be shown the current password that would be used to re-pair if necessary (default is "1234"). Update if different then press Done. At that point it should connect to the Bluetooth OBDII adapter if you have it plugged into the Leaf and it is within range.

If it does not connect check the LeafSpy Settings to be sure the Port selected is "1".

=================
Your step 3 looks like you are trying to connect LeafSpy using WiFi to the Nexus WiFi (i.e. to itself) which will never work and is not what you should be doing. LeafSpy is running on the Nexus and needs to connect to the BAFX adapter through Bluetooth.

If you have a WiFi OBDII adapater then you would use the Nexus WiFi to connect to the WiFi OBDII adapter.

Turbo3 said:
You need to pair the BAFX Bluetooth Adapter with the Nexus 7 just like you would any other Bluetooth device you want the Nexus to have access to. It is not clear in your steps you actually did the pairing step (password is normally "1234"). This should be done before you start LeafSpy.

If on the Nexus Bluetooth settings page the BAFX shows up under "Paired devices" then you are done with that step. The actual paired name for an OBDII device is up to the manufacturer but typically has "OBD" in it.

Many thanks for answering. The reasons for clicking on WiFi were a combination of ignorance and frustration :oops: . I'd just as soon forget that session. Prior to that I spent a lot of time trying to connect using instructions that came with the adapter with no use of WiFI. A second set of instructions found on this forum was also used. Concentrating only on pairing, notes from that work show:

Nexis7 on and set to settings section
Bluetooth on --> "Paired OBDII"/"Available devices OBDII"/"Nexis7 is visible to nearby devices while
bluetooth setting is open.

I could not get connected using Leaf Spy.

Since the word "Paired" and "OBDII" showed up I assumed that pairing was complete. Was that an incorrect assumption? My wife is using the Leaf right now but when she gets home I'll try using your instructions.

Bob

Here is what the Bluetooth Settings screen should look like. As you can see I have many OBDII Adapters paired with the Nexus 7. Since most people have only one Bluetooth OBDII adapter you will see only one in the top section labeled "Paired devices". If you instead see the OBDII Adapter listed under "Available devices" then it is not paired and you need to select it and enter the password (normally "1234") to move it to the top "Paired devices" list. If you don't see it at all then you need to bring up the menu for the page and select "Refresh". The Bluetooth OBDII adapter needs to me plugged into the Leaf although normally the Leaf does not need to be on to pair. If you have an OBDII adapter with an On/Off switch you will need to press it to turn it on. A small number of OBDII adapters will only allow pairing within about one minute of being plugged in/turned on. I have seen only one adapter works that way.

Once you have the OBDII adapter in the top "Paired devices' list you can start up LeafSpy and bring up the "Select OBDII" menu to connect LeafSpy to the paired OBDII device.

iCWPdr.png

After starting up LeafSpy you need to go to the "Select OBDII" menu and select the OBDII adapter you previously paired with. You should see the same list of Bluetooth paired devices you saw on the Nexus Bluetooth Setting screen as being "Paired". For your case I would expect you to see only one device with "OBD" in the name. In my case I actually needed to label each adapter with its MAC address so I would know which one I was using and select it based on the MAC address.

TjiI66.png

:D It is working!

Spent quite some time playing around with it, gradually moving forward using your instructions (much clearer and less confusing than any I have seen). This is my first time using bluetooth with the Nexus7 and I seem to have a clear understanding of what it is all about thanks to you. I really appreciate your taking time to solve the problem.

Bob

Back