8 bar battery replacement metrics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TropicalLeaf

I just lost a bar and now have 9 bars showing. I show 185 GIDs and 14.3 kwh when fully charged with 65.8% SOH and SOC of 88.0% 41.70Ah. My first question is which of these metrics tells me when I would lose my 9th bar and therefore qualify for the battery replacement? Is the bar system not linear? Shouldn't I already be at less than 9 bars since I have lost 34.2%? Also I thought that SOC would go to 100% after charging can someone explain what this means?

Many, many thanks for anyone's help.

The battery capacity bars are not linear. The first bar represents 15% capacity, and all the rest are 6.25%. How long ago did you lose the 10th bar? As mwalsh said, at 41.7aHr you should have lost the 9th bar, although some people have reported that their's hung on a little longer.

Personally, I found the AHr metric to be the most reliable means of determining how close I was getting to dropping the 9th bar. Mine finally went at 43.191 AHr (and Hx of 44.74 and SOH of 65), so if you're already down to 41.70 AHr, I'd think you should be losing your 9th bar any day now. Good luck and hopefully you're under the 60,000 mile cutoff...

I'm closely monitoring our battery's capacity in anticipation of battery replacement. Reported capacities at loss of the 9th bar have ranged from 43.13 to 43.7, but none yet below 42 Ahr.

HighDesertDriver said:
I'm closely monitoring our battery's capacity in anticipation of battery replacement. Reported capacities at loss of the 9th bar have ranged from 43.13 to 43.7, but none yet below 42 Ahr.

The range I've noted has actually been between 43.56 (JPVLeaf) and 41.77 (brettcgb).

^^^
Thanks, Mike. I've obviously missed a few key posts, and sincerely hope our's does not have to reduce below 42 Ahr before dropping the 9th bar. We already have to occasionally take the ICE when there is not enough time at home to recharge for local 30 mile round-trips without heat or A/C.

HighDesertDriver said:
^^^
Thanks, Mike. I've obviously missed a few key posts, and sincerely hope our's does not have to reduce below 42 Ahr before dropping the 9th bar. We already have to occasionally take the ICE when there is not enough time at home to recharge for local 30 mile round-trips without heat or A/C.

I agree. That would completely suck, and probably only put me at a very slim chance of loosing bar 9 while we still have the advantage of hot weather this summer/fall. I'm actually almost in disbelief that brettcgb went that low, especially in Gilbert, AZ, and am rather hoping that he's been mistaken this whole time.

I lost my 10th bar to become 9 bars about a month ago. I didn't have the Leaf Spy yet so I don't know what the AH was but it must have been pretty close to what it is now since it just changed.

TropicalLeaf said:
I lost my 10th bar to become 9 bars about a month ago. I didn't have the Leaf Spy yet so I don't know what the AH was but it must have been pretty close to what it is now since it just changed.

I'm sorry, but the numbers you're giving us just don't add up. You loose bar 10 at around 47AHr, and the accepted rate of loss in warmer climes is around 0.5AHr monthly. Something is either very wrong with your car or you're mistaken about some aspect of your numbers.

I think my car might hold the record for "closest to without actually going over" mileage for a 4th bar loss with battery warranty coverage... 59,983 miles when it dropped the fourth!

Let's just hope its not more than 16 miles to the dealer to confirm it! :eek: :lol:
Unfortunately, I think there will be dozens, if not hundreds, of Leafs that are right on the edge but that 9th bar will hang on past 60,000. :(

keydiver said:
Let's just hope its not more than 16 miles to the dealer to confirm it! :eek: :lol:
Unfortunately, I think there will be dozens, if not hundreds, of Leafs that are right on the edge but that 9th bar will hang on past 60,000. :(
That's when you pay to tow it ;)

Triple A Plus took care of that: It was towed to the dealer for free!

Interestingly, Nissan Lead CS said that it was no problem if it went over 60K since I had reported it (and took pictures) beforehand...
They were, of course, wrong!

The dealer indicated that he had had one come in at 60013 and Nissan rejected the claim! If that had happened to me, it might have made an interesting legal case since we all know the odometer is fast...

keydiver said:
Let's just hope its not more than 16 miles to the dealer to confirm it! (

FYI, it is a long story how it all came about, but I am pick up my car with a warranty new battery today and the parts list shows it is a F revision... The latest revision I recall seeing on here previously was an E...

TomT said:
FYI, it is a long story how it all came about, but I am pick up my car with a warranty new battery today and the parts list shows it is a F revision... The latest revision I recall seeing on here previously was an E...
Wow - now that's a long story I want to hear! Did you decide to buy the lease out?

jhm614 said:
TomT said:
Wow - now that's a long story I want to hear! Did you decide to buy the lease out?

Yes, do tell! I thought you were completely over Nissan and wanted the car to go back regardless.

Long story short: I assumed that I was going to hit 60K before the fourth bar dropped and had arranged to turn it in... With 17 miles before 60K and 3 days before I was due to turn it over, it dropped the fourth bar... At that point, I had it towed to the dealer and got an approval for a new battery under warranty. That made it worth keeping the car for a bit until I could decide what course I wanted to follow and since my lease payment is low, so I called Nissan, cancelled the turn in, extended the lease, and got the two free months of payments. And they credited me one additional month as well for when it was out of service... So, now I have a car that currently shows 292 Gids on a 100% charge! I'm still not in love with Nissan at all, but the ROI was just too good to pass up... BTW, it took 5 weeks from drop off until pickup for the new battery...

mwalsh said:
Yes, do tell! I thought you were completely over Nissan and wanted the car to go back regardless.

TomT said:
Long story short: I assumed that I was going to hit 60K before the fourth bar dropped and had arranged to turn it in... With 17 miles before 60K and 3 days before I was due to turn it over, it dropped the fourth bar... At that point, I had it towed to the dealer and got an approval for a new battery under warranty. That made it worth keeping the car for a bit until I could decide what course I wanted to follow and since my lease payment is low, so I called Nissan, cancelled the turn in, extended the lease, and got the two free months of payments. And they credited me one additional month as well for when it was out of service... So, now I have a car that currently shows 292 Gids on a 100% charge! I'm still not in love with Nissan at all, but the ROI was just too good to pass up... BTW, it took 5 weeks from drop off until pickup for the new battery...

LOL! Talk about down to the wire. Hope I don't get quite that close...I'll be having kittens!

Five weeks for the swap seems like an awful long time. There must be another story there?

Back