bmetzner
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 016495

Re: 8 bar battery replacement metrics

Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:50 am

Well my battery came in last week. Dealer installed in half a day. I'm seeing 118 miles on a full charge now, really wonderful stuff....

Scribbious
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2013

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:43 pm

(Tallahassee, FL 34,320 Miles) Thanks to reading this forum I had determined that my 2011 Leaf might be eligible for the 8 bar warranty replacement. A call to Nissan confirmed that the 'in service date' was 11/01/2011 so I have a couple of months to spare. I had just noticed that I lost my 4th bar a couple of days ago.

The rest of this experience is going to be interesting...

I took it in this morning and the service advisor I saw new nothing about Leafs (despite me asking the receptionist to connect me with somebody that was knowledgeable). She had no knowledge of the warranty or anything else but I dictated what she should tell the tech and left it in her hands.

Having heard nothing, I finally called back late this afternoon and she told me that I would have to leave it because they hadn't heard back from Nissan. I told her that wasn't an option and I would be on my way to pick it up.

When I got there, she brought out the one tech who has any training on the leaf. He started talking about that it might be difficult to get Nissan to agree to the repair and normal stuff about battery degradation. He had not heard of the class action or extended warranty either but I was more than happy to enlighten him.

They let me take the car and told me that they would let me know what they hear from Nissan. They left the diag report in the car which indicated 8 bars remaining and 5 stars for all of the 'ways to keep your battery running longer' sections.

While chatting with the tech, he admitted that he has never changed a battery except 'in school' :roll: and that if/when the battery comes in I will need to plan on having it there for a few days. I may print the comment above from @bmetzner regarding 1/2 day to take to him.

Wish me luck!

(Unfortunately, I don't have the necessary stuff to give all of the requested readings from the battery diagnostics)

TimLee
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026

Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:58 am

Scribbious wrote:...
While chatting with the tech, he admitted that he has never changed a battery except 'in school' :roll: and that if/when the battery comes in I will need to plan on having it there for a few days. I may print the comment above from @bmetzner regarding 1/2 day to take to him.

Wish me luck!

Good luck :D

A little surprising this would be their first one in Tallahassee.
But sales rollout into Florida was about six months later than TN.

My dealer in Chattanooga has done four.
Mine was #4.

Once they got the battery in mine was in the shop little less than two days.
But I was late bringing it in and they got busy on other work.
Two technicians started on it at 15:00 and had the new pack installed in less than three hours.
But took two or three hours to do the programming the following day.
They put up hazard warning barriers and wear high voltage gloves but did not put down rubber floor covering as some mentioned for the earliest replacement.

If dealer only has single technician and its their first one they probably will need two days.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

Marktm
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 09 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 022737

Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:30 pm

GOM went to 8 bars this weekend! Contacted the local dealer and was advised to "wait" to make sure the 9th bar does not re-appear :? . Since my in-service date is Sept. 2012, there certainly is no rush. Now I've got a dilemma - to wait at least until cooler fall/winter, wait out the entire warrantee, or just get it done and enjoy the newly found range (I have a regular 95 mile trip every other week or so). I've not obtained leafSpy yet (iphone user and just not sure of the right dongle yet), but will soon and post the results for posterity.

:) :P :D
2012 Leaf SL; 30,000 miles. 8 bars - Battery replaced November 1st, 2016.
4000 watts Grid-tied solar. 3000 watts (level II) off-grid solar Leaf charging capable.

QueenBee
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2062

Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:41 pm

Marktm wrote:GOM went to 8 bars this weekend! Contacted the local dealer and was advised to "wait" to make sure the 9th bar does not re-appear :? . Since my in-service date is Sept. 2012, there certainly is no rush. Now I've got a dilemma - to wait at least until cooler fall/winter, wait out the entire warrantee, or just get it done and enjoy the newly found range (I have a regular 95 mile trip every other week or so). I've not obtained leafSpy yet (iphone user and just not sure of the right dongle yet), but will soon and post the results for posterity.

Go to a different dealer. That is a terrible thing to tell a customer. "Well we could order you a new battery today but instead why don't you wait to see if get the capacity back and no longer qualify for a new battery."

I'd recommend this dongle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00QJRYM ... UTF8&psc=1

But considering how much time you left on the warranty and your 95 mile regular trips you do have a tough decision but fortunately you end up winking either way!

Marktm
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 09 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 022737

Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:41 am

JasonA wrote:3rd bar just dropped right at 46.74ah and 30k miles.. i have pretty much 1year left exactly on the warranty (Sept 2012 vehicle)...

Need those AH's to fall off quick!

Out of curiosity - how did you obtain this (assume some sort of OBDII) dump?
2012 Leaf SL; 30,000 miles. 8 bars - Battery replaced November 1st, 2016.
4000 watts Grid-tied solar. 3000 watts (level II) off-grid solar Leaf charging capable.

JasonA
Delivery Date: 04 May 2013

Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:12 pm

It's a LeafXL... made by GregH.. rare.. it has many screens and also controls the Brusa

If you watch my YouTube vids you can see it in action...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo5y7cdkEps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG3iCmRlBAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvj_6W-8nTY
2012 10kw Dual LQ cooled Brusa powered Leaf "Astro"
13kw Enphase System,SolarWorld Panels, QuickMountPV- ALL USA!!
2014 Rav4 "SuperRav"with JdeMO (CHAdeMO)
2015 MS-70D

brian0123
Delivery Date: 17 Sep 2015

Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:32 pm

Marktm wrote:GOM went to 8 bars this weekend! Contacted the local dealer and was advised to "wait" to make sure the 9th bar does not re-appear :? . Since my in-service date is Sept. 2012, there certainly is no rush. Now I've got a dilemma - to wait at least until cooler fall/winter, wait out the entire warrantee, or just get it done and enjoy the newly found range (I have a regular 95 mile trip every other week or so). I've not obtained leafSpy yet (iphone user and just not sure of the right dongle yet), but will soon and post the results for posterity.

I'm almost in your same situation (with a later in service date, 15k miles, 3 bars). My plan is to drive it as far as I can up until battery warranty nears. Get as much life as you can out of the car.

Lsixecho
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2012
Leaf Number: 018818

Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:06 pm

Hey guys,

Just lost my 9th bar. I was tracking AHr decline through LeafSpy. Had it upload the data to dropbox and then I copied it to Excel and Graphed it. Take a look. Lost at approx 42.9.

JasonA
Delivery Date: 04 May 2013

Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:03 pm

Lsixecho wrote:Lost at approx 42.9.
Damn! :(

I'm soooo far away ;-(
2012 10kw Dual LQ cooled Brusa powered Leaf "Astro"
13kw Enphase System,SolarWorld Panels, QuickMountPV- ALL USA!!
2014 Rav4 "SuperRav"with JdeMO (CHAdeMO)
2015 MS-70D

Return to “LEAF CANBus”