Nissan Leaf OBD2 Codes and OBD2 Protocols

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notlh

Hi there,

Can anyone help me with OBD2 information about Nissan Leaf

1. What are various protocols supported by Nissan Leaf EV?

2. What are various OBD2 codes supported?

3. What are names of OBD2 protocols for Nissan Leaf EV?

For all Nissan Gasoline cars: OBD2 protocols are available on Internet, but for Nissan Leaf EV nothing is available.,

Requesting you to help

Thanks, Prabhdip

Thanks a lot, It is is very useful.

Please see the link for other Nissan Car models except Nissan Leaf , Can we please have the similar protocol name like other Nissan models:

http://www.outilsobdfacile.com/vehicle-list-compatible-obd2.php?brand=nissan

http://www.outilsobdfacile.com/obd-mode-pid.php

Request you to help

With thanks

Hi there

GM!

Hope, you would be doing great

Request you to help:

1. Is Nissan Leaf have protocol: ISO 15765-4 (CAN 11/500) on OBD2 interface. Request you to clarify? or Does it have supports any other protocol? Please name.

2. I have gone through internet and have found protocol names for all Nissan models except Nissan Leaf EV, Please see link below

http://www.outilsobdfacile.com/vehicle- ... and=nissan

http://www.outilsobdfacile.com/obd-mode-pid.php

Requesting to help

Have a great day ahead

With Thanks,

Since pure EVs like the Nissan LEAF do not produce emissions (exhaust), the OBD II requirements
for exhaust-producers do not apply. The EV manufacturers generally include an OBD connector,
but they usually take liberties with usage of the pins there. Most use pins 4 and 5 for some sort
of ground, and pin 16 as "12 volt" battery power. If pin 8 is used, it is usually Switched "12v".
However, even these conventions should be carefully checked before attaching anything to
an EV vehicle's OBD connector, if any.

The 2011 LEAF had 3 CAN buses on the OBD connector, each a "standard" 11/500 CAN bus.
We called these the EV, AV, and CAR CAN buses, since the EV bus had mostly info associated
with running the Electric Motor and Battery Pack. The AV bus mostly handled communication
between the parts of the Audio/Visual displays and the associated controls. The CAR bus
had messages to control the functions that any "normal" car would have, like lights, turn signals,
windows, etc.

Cheers, Gary

Also note that while the leaf uses "standard" CAN, the messages sent between the modules are completely proprietary. Querying for messages is also non-standard from OBD protocols.

JeremyW said:
Also note that while the leaf uses "standard" CAN, the messages sent between the modules are completely proprietary. Querying for messages is also non-standard from OBD protocols.

Good Morning Gary and all Thread team,

Is there any way to read the OBD2 data from Nissan Leaf when Ignition is OFF.

We tried and have been getting ZEROS in most of the OBD2 - CAN parameters (e.g. SOC, SOH ...etc.)

Please help

Thanks and Regards
notlh

HI there,

Good Morning!

During Nissan Leaf Ignition OFF mode and Nissan Leaf in Charging Mode

How can we get STATE of CHARGE (SOC) form OBD2 CAN bus?

Can anyone help please ?

Looking forward to see the needful direction, or options we can try out.

Please share your comments or experience, you had

notlh said:

You need to use the dedicated EV CAN bus to get SOC when the car is off. I just recently updated my EVSE to receive the SOC from the car over wireless from the EV bus. Its pin 12/L and pin 13/H. HTH.

bearer said:
notlh said:

You need to use the dedicated EV CAN bus to get SOC when the car is off. I just recently updated my EVSE to receive the SOC from the car over wireless from the EV bus. Its pin 12/L and pin 13/H. HTH.

Hello bearer, can you tell us more about what you did.

I really want to find a way to automatically stop my 2016 Leaf SL charging when it has reached 80% charge. I'm considering using a Carloop to sense when the State of Charge has reached 80% and then use Wi-Fi to send a $FD command to my OpenEVSE to disable charging.

Edit: Now I see your post here, thanks.

Carloop looks kinda handy!

I just looked at the code for Lincomatics Soc meter and adapted it to send the %SOC over an rF24 link in addition to a cheap lcd - but sadly had to remove the whole thing after the second time my leaf crapped out and needed to be towed to the garage. First incident was before I used my SOC meter but nissan decided it was convenient to blame my device for their shitty car which breaks down and they say they cannot find anything wrong with it. (While their Nissan road help techies fail to get the car running on site and have to tow it).

Curious if anyone has gone further with this idea. Looking at doing something similar myself, and would rather not re-invent any wheels.

Thanks,
Jeff

Back