Lizard battery capacity

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roperld

I have the Gid meter that I used to use with my leased 2012 LEAF. Now I have leased the 2015 LEAF for 2 years.

When I charge the 2015 LEAF and the LEAF SOC shows 100%, the Gid meter shows 103.9% maximum. What does that mean?

It seems likely that different battery chemistry would give different readings. Since the % number is interpolated from other numbers, the software in the gid meter probably needs an update. But I'm totally guessing here, since I've never had a gid meter and don't even have my LEAF anymore.

P.S. Did you mean you've leased the 2015 for 2 MONTHS not 2 YEARS? That would be quite a feat...

The Gidmeter reads a value from the CAN bus that represents the amount of energy stored in the battery which is not quite the same as state of charge (SOC). The Gidmeter was programmed to display 100% for 281 which was the highest number that was typically read from the CAN bus on fully-charged 2011 (and 2012) Leafs with little or no battery deterioration. I am not sure about 2013 and 2014 models, but my 2015 typically displays 292 (or 103.9%) when fully charged and once or twice it hit 293 (or 104.3%).

The SOC display in the dash on the 2015 is scaled to display 100% when the Leaf is fully charged. SOC is a percentage of the maximum energy the battery can store in its present condition. This means it will display 100% even if the battery capacity has dropped. With a fully-charged battery that has 80% of new capacity, the dash would display 100% on a 2015, but the Gidmeter would display 83.1% (80% of 103.9%).

Gerry

Back