DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Re: 2016 30 kWh Battery data

Thu May 31, 2018 9:00 am

webeleafowners wrote:Curious. So in Canada we probably have a climate similar to Europe. Are we also expected to have less problems? Our 2016 SV was built in April 2016. I can’t say we have noticed much range loss yet. It’s actually been flawless, like freakin flawless.

I never thought I would be a compliance car fan. Guess I am. ;).

Similar climate, similar experience. Its too bad I was not able to take mine a further down the road. It has (so far) had THE best battery pack ever!
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 8743 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 111.39 Ahr , SOH 96.49, Hx 114.98
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA

Thu May 31, 2018 9:03 am

johnlocke wrote:
WetEV wrote:
johnlocke wrote:It's still a compliance car.

Then you have a new definition of compliance car. What other words have you redefined?

You didn't reply to my arguments, just suggested I'm lying somehow. Sad

I wouldn't respond to comments that throw disjointed facts together and fails to tie them together either.

you live in a state that offers everything and that has apparently blinded you. try living in a state that barely offers half a dozen EVs.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 8743 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 111.39 Ahr , SOH 96.49, Hx 114.98
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ezmike
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2018

Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:41 pm

webeleafowners wrote:Curious. So in Canada we probably have a climate similar to Europe. Are we also expected to have less problems? Our 2016 SV was built in April 2016. I can’t say we have noticed much range loss yet. It’s actually been flawless, like freakin flawless.

Another 2016 sv canadian owner here, however not that optimistic. Owning it for exactly one year. The range as expected went down winter time but hasn't come back in full despite warm weather. Annual battery report is "all normal ".

Got leafspy and here are some interesting observations:
It appears that few cells are significantly out of balance and have higher voltage than others. The charging stops when those reach top voltage while others appear undercharged. I charge to 100% almost all the time so plenty of chances to do proper balancing. Inability to charge most cells to allowed maximum seem to reflect the value of mileage decrease.

Here are leafspy reports at various SOC.

100% according to car charge gauge.

approximately 32%

webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:07 pm

ezmike wrote:

Another 2016 sv canadian owner here, however not that optimistic. Owning it for exactly one year. The range as expected went down winter time but hasn't come back in full despite warm weather. Annual battery report is "all normal ".

It appears that few cells are significantly out of balance and have higher voltage than others. The charging stops when those reach top voltage while others appear undercharged. I charge to 100% almost all the time so plenty of chances to do proper balancing. Inability to charge most cells to allowed maximum seem to reflect the value of mileage decrease.

approximately 32%

Hi Mike. I'm sure we have lost some range. Its just not obvious to us. We do a certain route about a 150 KM with a laid back pace (lower speed limits, curvy upsy downsy). Last year If we combined the GOM with the trip odometer it would add up to around 212 kilometer. This year it is around 200 so we probably have lost some range. Freakin thing has been amazingly reliable though. Flawless. In 2020 when we upgrade, if the Trade war with the US is over we would consider another leaf. Or if the trade war is still on if Canada starts importing them from Japan again we'll consider a leaf. If the trade war with the US continues and we are still considered a security threat (read enemy) of the USA we'll look into a BMW or Mercedes something or other to replace the Leaf in 2021. It serves us well.
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

ElectricEddy
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2016
Leaf Number: 313506

Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:22 pm

ezmike wrote:

approximately 32%

What is the manufacture date ?
If you bought it in June 17 and it's a 16 model it was sitting on the lot for many months.
If it was charged to 100% on the lot then that would explain the degradation you are seeing through most of the pack.
Pearl White Sl
mfd date 09/16

ezmike

Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:54 pm

ElectricEddy wrote:
ezmike wrote:

approximately 32%

What is the manufacture date ?
If you bought it in June 17 and it's a 16 model it was sitting on the lot for many months.
If it was charged to 100% on the lot then that would explain the degradation you are seeing through most of the pack.

Manufactured November 16. Yes, about half year on the lot, however it doesn't look like classical degradation. It doesn't explain why few cells have consistently higher voltage than others.

ElectricEddy
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2016
Leaf Number: 313506

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:02 pm

@ezmike
What kind of range do you have now compared to when it was purchased ?
Until that voltage diff reaches I think about 300mv or more it may not be recognized as a battery defect with Nissan
Pearl White Sl
mfd date 09/16

ezmike

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:15 pm

ElectricEddy wrote:@ezmike
What kind of range do you have now compared to when it was purchased ?
Until that voltage diff reaches I think about 300mv or more it may not be recognized as a battery defect with Nissan

Thanks ElectricEddy. Will keep an eye on disparity.
Range hovers around 155 - 160km in mostly city driving for 20 Celsius no accessories etc.

dwl
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 112097

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:38 am

ezmike wrote:Got leafspy and here are some interesting observations:

We have seen this before in cars where modules have probably been replaced and the pack not manually balanced. The balancing shunts are weak (about 10mA) and don't seem to be able to correct any significant inbalance. As you have noted, your range will be significantly impacted by most cells charge being terminated early by these high cells.

When they are this much out they don't seem to be able to correct themselves and the solution here in New Zealand has been to open the pack and manually balance which may be a long term fix but only if cells are well matched. We lack any Nissan warranties on used imports so aren't waiting for Nissan to fix this.
2014 S - 6000 km Jan 2016; 45000 km May 2017 95% SoH; 68,000 km Mar 2018 90% SoH

DaveinOlyWA

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:22 am

ezmike wrote:

approximately 32%

I am guessing its the same cells out of whack all the time? That is a greater than .1 volt difference. I think that qualifies for a trip to the dealer. Another thing you could try is charging to 50-60% and let it sit 3-4 days if possible to see if that helps. Balancing happens all the time so the only reason for top end balancing is for greater range and the range improvment would only be a few miles at most.

On my 2018, I have a few outlier cells but not to that extreme but have only done 15 full charges including only 3 in last 3 months. Nothing to worry about since the range is sufficient and the risk of a high SOC far outweighs my desire to have a better balanced pack

Return to “LEAF CANBus”