2016 30 kWh Battery data

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo3

Leaf Supporting Member
Use this topic to post information about the new 30 kWh Leaf battery.

Key information of interest is the AHr rating and Gids at 90% and 100% charge.

The following screenshots were taken from a new just off the truck 2016 Leaf with 5 miles and the 30 kWh battery.

Starting AHr= 82.34 and Gids after a 90% QC was 323.

Note this pack is not currently well balanced with one group of 24 cells having a higher set of voltage.
uoF8fP.png

Start of QC.
LMb7ZI.png

After QC to 90% Gids topped out at 323.
RtRanv.png

Charge graph of 30 minute QC with cutoff at 90%. Note that %Gids plot is still scaled for a 24 kWh battery so goes above 100%.
w5fq3N.png

Dash at end of 90% QC
LC5NCC.jpg

Ooooh.. very nice! Any bets on top Gid count? 340? 350?
And yeah, it's not uncommon for a new pack to be out of balance.. 30mV isn't that bad.

Thanks for sharing. Very cool to see for the first time.

I contacted my local dealer to let me know when they get their first 30kWh Leaf and I'll go down and take a LeafSpy reading.

mwalsh said:
pkulak said:
Man, seeing that 123 miles makes me want it so bad. What is wrong with me? That's not even that far!

Probably be "130" miles if full, and "150" miles if in ECO.

Well, it's also a brand new car with no history, so who knows what m/kWh it's assuming.

But still. Tripple digits, man!

I was told that each dealer is initially only getting one of the 30 kWh Leafs (SL, SV) and more would come in late December.

I am also interested in the VIN for the base mode 2016 with the original 24 kWh battery. It looks like the battery size might be included in the VIN at least for the US standard VIN format. Note the "B" after the manufacturing location of "1N4". This is an "A" for all previous Leafs.

A UK VIN of a 2016 24 kWh and a 30kWh Leaf is also needed to see if they also include the battery size.

I went back today for a top off L2 charge to see how high I could get the Gids and found a limitation in the currently released versions of LeafSpy.

The maximum Gids LeafSpy will display is 349 anything higher will be reported as 349. Next release will fix that.

To get around this limitation I enabled CAN Logging. I just need to decode the raw data to see how high a Gid count I got. Charge was stopped at 99% as the sales guy had a real customer who wanted to drive the Leaf.

Here are the pictures from the L2 charge to 99%. The correct Gids reading should be 356 not 349 which is a software limitation of the current releases of LeafSpy.

yu9GLI.jpg

XuBwSJ.png

The correct Gids reading should be 356 not 349 and the "Remain" energy should be 27.6 kWh not 27.0 kWh which are current software limitations. Charge was almost done as indicated by the 400 Wh charge rate.
stthkY.png

pkulak said:
Man, seeing that 123 miles makes me want it so bad. What is wrong with me? That's not even that far!

The siren-song of the GOM pulls hard! :lol:

EPA rating is 107 miles on a full charge, if I recall correctly.

Nubo said:
pkulak said:

The siren-song of the GOM pulls hard! :lol:

EPA rating is 107 miles on a full charge, if I recall correctly.

forget EPA ratings. Leafspy showing 121 miles at 4.7 miles per kwh gives us 25.75 kWh usable. Multiply that by your favorite miles per and you get

129 miles at 5.0 m/kwh
121 miles at 4.7 m/kwh
115 miles at 4.5 m/kwh
108 miles at 4.2 m/kwh

no matter how you slice it that's a big improvement over a degraded 2012. :)

Back