How do I tell how many bars are left using LeafSpy lite?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvu

We're heading out in a few to go test drive a few leafs. I got 2 different OBD2 scanners just in case and also downloaded Leafspy lite. Where can I find info on how to read how many bars is left? I see articals on SOC etc... I'm guessing if say the screen says I have 80% charge and Leaf Spy display otherwise I take the difference as a multiplier?

The number of bars left are on the dash display. No need for Leaf Spy. http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/File:Scott_3_bars_s.jpg is a 3 bar loser.

The said, we normally pay attention to figures like Ahr, SOH and Hx. For me, there's no point in looking at SOC.

There is http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=455984#p455984. There are numerous threads here where people have posted their stats w/some or all of those numbers and how many bars they have or what their stats were when they lost a bar.

Unfortunately, it seems like (can someone confirm this?) that if some unscrupulous person reset the BMS/LBC, all of those values will be inflated until the BMS/LBS is done relearning the battery which could take weeks or months of usage.

You should really find out where the car previously resided via Carfax and/or Autocheck. If buying a used '13, the build month is important.

dvu said:
We're heading out in a few to go test drive a few leafs. I got 2 different OBD2 scanners just in case and also downloaded Leafspy lite. Where can I find info on how to read how many bars is left? I see articles on SOC etc... I'm guessing if say the screen says I have 80% charge and Leaf Spy display otherwise I take the difference as a multiplier?

Leaf Spy and Dash will read = on SOC unless you are right at 100% on one or under 10% on one. No reason to compare SOC between the two. Just pick one and view it as is.

Leaf Spy vs Dash for bars is compared by using ahr on leafspy vs bars on the dash

ahr doesn't reset and would match roughly this list

Brand new - about 66.25 Ahr#
Loss of bar 12 - between 53.75 AHr and 56 AHr
Loss of bar 11 - between 49.75 AHr and 52 AHr
Loss of bar 10 - between 45.75 AHr and 48 AHr
Loss of bar 9 - between 41.75 AHr and 44 AHr

#table is for 24 kWh packs, numbers would differ for a 30 kWh packs.

Assuming you don't see discrepancy between AHr and the dash bars you can then just use SOH% from leafspy as a simple percentage of capacity remaining vs new.

dhanson865 said:

Not to nitpick and I don't remember the post from which I wrote down these numbers, but this is what I wrote down and it closely matches yours, wonder why the discrepancy... My years seem to be 2011-2013, wonder if yours is for a post '13 Leaf??

66.25 AHr=approx AHr value of a brand new 2011-2013 LEAF
54AHr-55.5AHr=expected AHr range at which loss of bar 12 occurs
50AHr-51.5AHr=expected AHr range at which loss of bar 11 occurs
46AHr-47.5AHr=expected AHr range at which loss of bar 10 occurs
42AHr-43.5AHr=expected AHr range at which loss of bar 9 occurs

jjeff said:
dhanson865 said:

My years seem to be 2011-2013, wonder if yours is for a post '13 Leaf??

Nope Mine is based on the same cars. I've just read more posts and chosen round numbers around the highest and lowest I've seen.

The reality is the code in the Leaf isn't changing the number of bars based on the AHr so your usage/temps/individual pack health means every car will drop a bar at a different number. It doesn't matter what numbers you and I post so long as you are in the right range it gets the point across.

Entirely possible for a car to lose a bar above or below the range we post. Just not common, and not likely.

Back